Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Powersaw

I just purchased 5 acres and been clearing brush and falling some dead trees. My POS 33 cc poulan is worthless. I know I am not going to buy Poulan or Craftsman. I am going to buy a Stihl or Huqvarna. Most likely the Husqvarna 455. My question is, Does anyone know anything about the Echo brand name?

Thanks Shawn

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
Old 12-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Echo is decent, but you'd be better off with a Stihl or a Husky. I, on the other hand have an 18 year old Poulan 2800 that has been unbreakable. I've worn out a couple of 20" bars and numerous chains using it and it always cranks and cuts.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Husky gets my vote.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad has had an Echo 330 EVL for years and it's always worked great. It was one of the best rated models when we bought it in the early 80's. I just used it earlier this year and it made quick work of a dead birch tree. No idea about today's Echo products, although I would consider them.

Stihl seem to be the top brand nowadays and I think Stihl resale value and parts availability is pretty good, plus you can buy them at Home Repo, but probbly at list price.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:39 AM

I have a Husky and a Partner, both commercial saws. Like them both. Don't totally discount Poulan, their top of the line saws are Partners, very tough, fast and low vibration.

I would suggest you spend a little extra and buy it from a professional shop. It pays dividends when you need help or parts. Be aware to that some of the box store models are cheaper versions of the pro grade built to sell to a price point.

To me Stihl saws are clumsy,vibrate excessively and have not been very relaible for my business. I burned up two Stihls in the last five years, and the 15 year old Partner is still running. I use these saws hard but with good care.

Larry

Old 12-08-2007, 05:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
To me Stihl saws are clumsy,vibrate excessively and have not been very relaible for my business. I burned up two Stihls in the last five years, and the 15 year old Partner is still running. I use these saws hard but with good care.

Larry
Thats odd........Stihls quality must have went to crap since I used them. I worked cutting right-of-way for the power company and Stihl was all we used and never any problems at all. Usually fire right up first try........2nd try if was really cold out.
Maybe they were running too lean?

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well I told my dad I was buying a saw and he gave me his Lombard that he bought in the early 80s. I believe the engine is a homelite 69c.c. anyways I brought it home and cleaned it up pulled the plug cranked it a few times with oil in the cylinder put in a new plug fueled it up. Sucker runs like a raped ape. Thanks for everyones input.

Shawn

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
Old 12-09-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
Thats odd........Stihls quality must have went to crap since I used them. I worked cutting right-of-way for the power company and Stihl was all we used and never any problems at all. Usually fire right up first try........2nd try if was really cold out.
Maybe they were running too lean?
Could have been, dealer went out of business and he set them up.

Larry

Old 12-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had my Husky for 16 years - some years it gets used a lot, some not. Replaced the bar twice and the spark plug once.

It is without question one of the all time best tool investments I've ever made!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978