Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Enclosed Trailer Towing Problem

The tow vehicle is a 06 1500 GMC with 8' bed and aluminum cap.When I tow the 16' tandem axle enclosed trailer at some point the rear hatch on the cap starts opening.I've tried locking it, adjusting the cap for tightness still it will open at some point in the tow.Speeds are up to 65. The cap has 2 roof racks.Been having this problem for 2 yrs and just 'lived' with it. When I tow the race car on the open trailer,to Norwalk no problems,I thought the cap was working itself open. Now I'm thinking some kind of vacuum between truck cap and trailer. the trailer is 6'2" inside. Anybody had this problem? Cures?Spoiler on cap?

Old 12-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Open the windows in the cap.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tow a 24' Haulmark enclosed trailor(Flat nose) with an 04' Suburban. Occasionally I can hear the Burb's back lift glass sucking air... Usually at highway speed. I have considered buying a temp wind deflector for the Burb's roof to help with this and improve gas mileage a bit. So far it is getting 11.5 mpg which I hear is fairly decent already.

The sucking sound is not constant for me but I can see how it could suck your cap glass up if it is not completely secure. For what it's worth the wind deflectors run in the $ 200.00 range for a decent one. I am sure it would pay for itself with gas savings in a summer.

Good luck,

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 12-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Brian the cap has tool boxes along both sides almost the full length.I usually run with the front window closed in winter open in summer for ventilation. I thought about making some kind of air foil cheap to see if it helps. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was just thinking the best solution might be the simplest. The problem could be twofold, pressure building in the cap and vacuum pulling on the rear hatch. Alleviate the pressure inside by cracking a window open a bit and that might work.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The past 2 tows on the pike I didn't lock the rear hatch.It just floated in and out.Thanks for the thoughts. Bob

Old 12-14-2007, 10:57 PM
Suspended

remember the spoilers they used to put on the back of the old safari wagons on the luggage racks ?? thats what they do they pull air down into the void and break the vacum , you could try the wide rubber mudflap trick ( from side to side) as this will cause the air to go around the front of the bottom of the trailer instead of hitting it making it go up ,it thus pulling the air down thru the gap instead of rolling around .

Old 12-15-2007, 10:14 AM

That vacuum is a good thing, your trailor is "drafting" your truck. The topper will help your mileage, or at least it did mine by about 2mpg. I tryed all kind of combinations when we were racing the CORR series pulling a 14,000# 28 ft enclosed. Don't go for a wing, you will lose mileage.

Larry