Old 10-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Need '70 - '72 4Dr Sedan (post) Body

Well, I'm looking for a clean rust free 4-door LeMans (non Sport) or Tempest body, preferably a roller with doors and trunk lid. I'll consider a complete running car, prefeably non-air, with no body damage (dings and small dents OK). I want to re-body my original M-20 4-speed LeMans with a solid donor. These seem to be needles in the proverbial haystack these days.

Thanks, Dennis

Old 10-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are still a few out there, lot easier to find than the 4 door hardtops. If your desire is to clip your car's cowl into a solid body, I wouldn't blow off the a/c cars, there are many many more solid ones out there in the south & SW, than factory non a/c cars. Of course, its often a struggle to get owners off them, as owners are in lala land having watching too many BJ auctions, pricing them at 2 door project money. Have cut up a few solid 70 & 71 4 doors, buying them for nice front clips & a long list of incidentals. If your 4 door is a '71 or '72, might watch for one as well as both years have the EEC structure under them.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OPH, I've got a '70 LeMans 4-dr sedan. The car was built in Fremont, CA and stayed in northern CA for most of its life, however, was kept outside in the weather which rusted out the trunk floor, rear lower quarters, the rear parcel shelf, the lower front cowl on both sides, and the dash at along the windshield. It was also rear-ended which buckled the drivers quarter a bit. The frame wasn't damaged, so it wasn't a big hit. The body has a lot of bondo in it.

The floors are really nice, as is the frame, but I don't want to spend good money on a 4door that will never increase much in value. I would consider clipping the '70 cowl onto a '71/'72 body too. You make a good point about the a/c equipped southern cars being more common. I have encountered people that have 4 door Lemans that think they are worth there weight in gold. That is going to be a problem, I'm sure. The car is very drivable and actually not bad looking as none of the body filler has fallen off, a good 30/30 car.

This is John Chung's old car that was in Factory Freaks a few years ago along with his 4 door '71 Lemans Sport. It's really a cool car that was ordered with the M-20, Saf-T-Trak (w/ 3.23 std. gears), sport wheel w/ manual steering, pdb, am/fm, rear defog, decor group, remote mirror, and the mandatory Calif. emmissions equipment. It was originaly Atoll Blue, but was repainted a color close to Bermuda Blue.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Insurance Photos 022.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	339372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0547.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	339373  

Old 10-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I forgot to add it came with factory installed in-dash tach and gauges. Here's the PHS for it as well.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lemans_4Door_Dash.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	339380   Click image for larger version

Name:	LeMans_4Door_PHS.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	339381  

Old 10-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nobody knows where one is hiding?

DJ

Old 10-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dennis,
Here's one in Houston although it looks like an ac car. The body doesn't look bad in the pics anyway: http://houston.craigslist.org/bar/4097799903.html

Remember 4 doors are the Rodney Dangerfields of the "A" bodies.......they get no respect. I'm doing a 68 Tempest wagon now so I know where your coming from on the money put into it vs what it'll ever be worth.

Good luck with your search!

Old 10-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve V,

Thanks for sending the CL link. I'll definetely check it out. I see a few dents, but if its solid like he says it is, it could work. I'm hoping something will show up a little closer to home. The one I have came from Texas and almost cost as much to deliver as it did to purchase.

I wonder where they all went? Picked over and sent to the crusher most of them, and now hard to find a nice one.

Good luck on your '68 wagon project. Wagons have really come on strong the past decade and are very collectible. 4 door sedans and hardtops defintely get no respect, but there are a few neat ones out there and I would love to see others.

Dennis

Old 10-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ohio.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-...orcev4exp=true

Old 10-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Simple Man,

Thanks. This one looks nice and is the right color.

Dennis

Old 10-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lets hope it's priced reasonable!

Old 10-15-2013, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you checked this one out close to you?

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/4041982039.html

Or this one in WV

http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/cto/4069705022.html

This one in NJ, 1 bad pic' and no price listed

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4045390862.html

This one is probably out of your Price range but a 4-door so I posted it

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4077593296.html

Or this one out in Oregon

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/4077817954.html

Or this one on E-bay a
b
it to nice to part

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ectorid=229466

That is all I could find at the moment

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 10-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The '70 out in Corvallis may be the most solid. Def worth getting a bunch of pics. I can't imagine finding one with minimal rust that has spent a good portion of its driveable life in OH or MI or down near the Gulf.

The best bodies that have set outside in the Southern Plains, eastern NM, & northern & western TX will usually have some some windshield area rust & a little pinholing in the right rear 1/4... with the roads crowned & a trough where the right tires roll, the rh 1/4 always seem to have received more moisture slung up under it.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Camerjeff,

I see you're from Belleville, MI. Have we ever crossed paths before? I help organize the Pure Stock Drags with my brother Dan over at Mid-Michigan Raceway every September. We always have a good turnout of Pontiacs to race. Don't know if you've ever been to one of the events.

Wow, I just haven't taken the time to do the CL thing and you are proving to me I need to learn how to do it. When I have searched CL in the past, I had to search by region, which were basically communities, towns, or cities. It just seemed overwhelming. Can you search by topic ('70 4 dr Sedan LeMans)?

I like the silver '70 in MO, but he want s too much coin for his grandma's car.

The rothberry car is close by and may be worth a road trip.

Thanks much Camerjef!

OPH, the one in Corvallis is a hardtop, but you are right about the rust on the right 1/4's.

Dennis

Old 10-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

look in the back ground pic
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4130293248.html

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 10-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"Only serious inquiries no douche bags.... Heads up to any thieves, i shoot to kill and i have helped keep the Boone County jail filled up in the last decade so come and try to steal something if you think you are good enough..."

Careful Dennis!

Old 10-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Marxjunk,

Thanks and good eyes, but like Mike said.."..careful"...yeah, I would definietely go to the front door and knock before going out back to check it out.

Dennis

Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ah.,.hes just a blow hard...other people on other boards have talked to him and hes a nice guy...a stupid ad wouldnt stop me from looking at it...call and talk to him..all the 4 doors around here have been culled and used to build other cars for years..tuff car to get

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD455DJ View Post
Camerjeff,

I see you're from Belleville, MI. Have we ever crossed paths before? I help organize the Pure Stock Drags with my brother Dan over at Mid-Michigan Raceway every September. We always have a good turnout of Pontiacs to race. Don't know if you've ever been to one of the events.

Wow, I just haven't taken the time to do the CL thing and you are proving to me I need to learn how to do it. When I have searched CL in the past, I had to search by region, which were basically communities, towns, or cities. It just seemed overwhelming. Can you search by topic ('70 4 dr Sedan LeMans)?

I like the silver '70 in MO, but he want s too much coin for his grandma's car.

The rothberry car is close by and may be worth a road trip.

Thanks much Camerjef!

OPH, the one in Corvallis is a hardtop, but you are right about the rust on the right 1/4's.

Dennis
Dennis,

We probably haven't met, I don't own anything I could run at the Pure Stock events, and haven't had much time the last 3 years to do any racing. But I may have to stop by and see one in action. who knows I could get hooked. And meet some new people.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 11-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did you ever find one? 70 Tempest 4 door available.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/4220185599.html

Old 12-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
Did you ever find one? 70 Tempest 4 door available.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/4220185599.html
Simple Man,

So far I haven't found anything that is priced reasonably for a rust free body. Maybe I'm unrealistic, but nice cars are $4k and over, while the rust buckets I won't consider, even for free. It's making me really think twice about throwing that much money at this project, that I'm most likely going to live with what I've got and make the best of it.

I think I recognize that Tempest in the CL LaPorte ad. There was one exactly like it last year in South Bend that they wanted $3K and it sold for alot less. It's rough around the edges. Thanks for letting me know about it. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking for that perfect combination of solid body for a good price less than a couple of hours away.

I have an ad in the Parts Wanted section looking for blue LeMans interior parts, so we'll see how that goes. My interior is shot, so I'll even consider other colors in descent usable condition I can dye.

Dennis