Old 08-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile Repro. wood wheel

Just got one of the reproduction wood wheels. The quality is excellent, chrome deep and shiny. Seems to be built very well. Heavy and color is good. No scratches or dulling chrome. Fits very well, I have not figured out the horn switch yet but will. Highly recommend....

Brad

Old 08-27-2005, 11:26 PM

When you figure out the horn switch, let me know...

Old 08-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Brad:
Who did you purchase it from?
Thanks
Larry

Old 08-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think there is a little spring and plunger that you have to use from your existing non-wood wheel that goes through the hole in the wheel hub and makes contact with the biscuit like horn "contact" making it "hot". When the button is pressed the metal parts of the contact touch each other and the horn goes off.

I didn't have the plunger, so I made one out of a ball point spring and a portion of a nail.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ah, I see now, they are not made.....
The very bottom plunger, contact if you will, is bad on mine also. I have looked for it, Anyone know what it is called?
Mine does the same thing. I got a install kit from Grant, when I put in my wood Grant wheel, They had the upper contact and spring, but not the lower.
My horn doesn't work, as this lower contact on mine is bad.
I would love to hear about the best way to fix this, I kinda gave up, after picking that little spring off the carpet about 15 times.....

Old 08-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkt1954
Brad:
Who did you purchase it from?
Thanks
Larry
I bought from a PY member, but they are made at the Parts Place from what I understand. I think PY sells them and other vendors...

Old 08-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
I think there is a little spring and plunger that you have to use from your existing non-wood wheel that goes through the hole in the wheel hub and makes contact with the biscuit like horn "contact" making it "hot". When the button is pressed the metal parts of the contact touch each other and the horn goes off.

I didn't have the plunger, so I made one out of a ball point spring and a portion of a nail.
O.K, I have the spring and plunger from the old wheel, I'll check that one out...thanks!

Brad

Old 08-29-2005, 09:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I installed mine in my 67 GTO I had to cut that little spring a little shorter to make it the horn work correctly.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just found out that the Parts Place sells this kit that has the plunger and spring along with some other pieces that are used on various wheels. I imagine that it is available at PY also.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to 6tee7goat

I also purchased the wood wheel and agree with the quality. Unfortunately still haven't been able to do the install. Purchased the horn plunger/spring as well as the newly repo'd horn contact(that the Parts Place makes) from Ames.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tee7goat
I also purchased the wood wheel and agree with the quality. Unfortunately still haven't been able to do the install. Purchased the horn plunger/spring as well as the newly repo'd horn contact(that the Parts Place makes) from Ames.
Wait till you get it on, you'll love it!!!! The grip is better than the deluxe and it looks good too. I enjoy the drive more with the different wheel.......

Brad

Old 08-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can I sell someone a '66 wood wheel? It's equally as nice as the '67. arayman@aol.com

Old 08-30-2005, 01:43 PM

Question Honks when it feels like it.

I also installed a repro wheel purchased from AutoZone in my '67 GTO. Not sure who makes it. I'm happy with it, but the horn honks intermittently. It works when I press the horn button, but also when I turn the wheel. I have the spring & button from the previous wheel, which was not original. I also bought a contact kit on Ebay which contains a spring, plunger & little plastic collar. Anyone got an idea how to solve?

Old 08-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You may want to try shortening the little spring?