Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 PM

Default Repost - 2.5 Pypes xpipe 1967 Firebird

Posted this on the exhaust board and received no response. Wanted to post it here. Hope I am not breaking a rule by doing it. If I am, sorry.

Got a 2.5" Pypes xpipe system to install in a 1967 Firebird. The tail pipe sections (after the muffler) have hangers welded to them but they dont come even close to lining up with the "stock" hangers or locations. In the kit there are 2 different hanger styles. Neither seem to fit the bill. I even called Pypes just to be sure I got the correct parts and they assured me I did.

Anyone put a Pypes system on a 67 firebird? Did you have to custom some hangers? Am I just missing something (parts, or knowledge)

Thanks

Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is just my experience - Pypes will do little to nothing to help you.

I installed a Pypes complete system on my '69 Firebird. I have long branch manifolds and specifically told them I wanted the tail pipes to drop down just like the factory and I wanted to use stock hangers. I was told no problem. I ordered the system and had it shipped to a professional muffler shop.

First thing - they sent the wrong head pipes and offered no help me once the car was at the muffler shop so we bent new ones. Pypes was reluctant to believe me and treated me like I/we (the muffler shop) didn't know what we were doing.

Second thing is the tail pipes will not fit as the factory did and we had to modify both pipes and weld extensions to the rear hangers.

After several emails with Pypes accusing me/the shop of messing up their system, they asked me to send pics which I did. I never heard back. I figure once they saw how nice the front head pipes were bent and installed they were too embarassed to admit they were wrong.

I did send the incorrect head pipes back and they credited me for those but would not credit me the other "necessary" adapters in the kit we couldn't use because we had to bend new pipes and they offered no reimbursement for the additional money their mistake caused me to incur.

"We have got but one life here. It pays, no matter what comes after it, to try and do things, to accomplish things in this life and not merely to have a soft and pleasant time." - Theodore Roosevelt

"Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak." - A father's words of wisdom to his children
Old 08-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Pypes & PY Tech

lmf01, I am assuming you have a dual muffler kit and not the transverse muffler kit?
Are you referring to the front or rear tailpipe section? The front tailpipe section has a wire form welded to it and a block hanger slides over it and gets bolted to the body.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Pypes & PY Tech

lmf01, it actually might be easier if you give me the part number of the kit as well. It should be SGF60. I just want to verify you received the correct kit.