THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...
Default Anyone here ever had shingles???

Wow, I have had shingles since about July 1st.

Can't believe the pain!!! I've had many kidney stones, and related surgeries. The shingles pain is up there with the worst of them!!!

I've been recovering from an auto accident, last July. Thought all the pain in my left shoulder/neck area was something amiss with the spinal surgeries. Thankfully NOT!!!

Went to ER, Sunday the 9th. They didn't diagnose shingles yet, there was NO rash or sign.....yet.
Went to Oklahoma Heart Hospital Monday the 10th.

So on the 2nd ER trip...
I had been in SO much pain I really never looked in mirror...
As I am peeling my T shirt off for the "sticky" heart monitor, nurse asks me how long I had shingles???

I had no idea. BUT those vile sores run from the inside of my left wrist, up behind my arm pit/shoulder and down back side of rib cage.

I suffered through a LOT of pain because Dr's are so scared of prescribing real pain meds.

I heard shingles are painful, now I know how much pain...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2023, 08:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, I had it in my early 30's on my back. Terrible.

455/469 w/ #48 Heads, '65 Tri-Power
9.25:1 CR
Stump Puller Cam
Muncie M22W 1st-2.56 2nd-1.75 3rd-1.37 4th-1.00
3.55 Rear Differential
Front: 225/60R15 Height: 25.6"
Rear: 275/60R15 Height: 28"
Old 07-14-2023, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Haven’t had shingles yet, but my youngest sister has. She is two years older than I am (62) and had shingles about two years ago. She told me the pain was horrific. I talked to my doc about getting one of the shingles vaccines, but he advised against it for now.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2023, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Both of my parents had shingle vacinations, and they both got it. It's not a guaruntee that you won't get it, I'm not sure if it lessens the effects, or not. It's kinda like covid vacinations, we all know how well that worked.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2023, 11:01 PM

Had it a few years ago. Caught it on the first day and went in and Doc gave me ?????, symptoms gone in 2 days.
If you dont catch it in the first 48, you have to pretty much ride it out.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had it at age 50 after undergoing chemo and radiation for cancer. It was diagnosed after about a week into it and I can't remember if the doctor gave me shots or pills or both but whatever he gave me fixed it. And yes painful I've always told people it felt to me like someone was sticking me with an icepick. Mine went from the center of my back across and down my left arm. I've had the shingles shots now. It is my understanding that if a person ever had chicken pox as a child then the "bug" is in their system and if their resistance ever gets real low they will probably get it.

The Following User Says Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2023, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That sounds miserable.

I heard of a Dr in Topeka, KS that treated shingles with great success. I had an older relative that had shingle’s bad and someone else recommended them. Before hand she went to various doctor’s at bigger hospitals and clinics for months with no relief. Then she went to that doctor in Topeka and the shingle’s were gone in not much more than a day later. She was completely shocked when the shingle went away after seeing that last Dr. in Topeka. It’s been over 20 years now since that occurred. It was some sort of machine that he treated her with. She is gone now, but I could ask one of her daughters info though if interested. Could be something similar down in OK somewhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay S For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2023, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got a relatively mild case in my mid 50's. No significant pain and gone in a few weeks. That said, I've know people who had it so bad it was truly debilitating.

Old 07-15-2023, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had it around my waist about 10 yrs ago. I was putting new shingles on my 2 car garage. It was insurance covered, wind damage. I had to have the roof on quickly because of the insurance. Anyway one Saturday hot humid sweating. I told the wife I'm itchy, I must have got into poison ivy around back. She said go to med Express. So I went. The PA looked at me and said shingles I said, yes I'm putting on shingles how did you know? No no you have shingles. Got meds in couple weeks gone. My PCP said nerves can trigger it like being in a hurry,stress. My elderly neighbor had it in his mouth. He said wasnt pleasant.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2023, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I contracted shingles about 15 years ago. It was on the right side of my face, scalp and neck. Imagine touching your hair and having severe pain. That’s how bad it was. The nerve endings were so raw that washing my hair was painful. I slept on my left side for weeks because of it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2023, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife and I are in our mid-60s. We both had the shingles vaccine and booster. My wife had a small rash come up, and the doctor said it was shingles and prescribed some type of medicine. They went away in about three days. I've never had it.

My mom had it in her late 60s or early 70s before the shot, and was miserable.

Old 07-17-2023, 06:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife had it and was miserable. So I got the vaccine. Had some bad side effects. Messed up my sense of balance, had back to back fever blisters right after, etc. It has gotten better. Wish I wouldn't have gotten vaccine.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 08:24 AM
Senior Chief

I had them in my 30s, on my back. Was at the doc for something else, I mentioned that something was up. I had been under a ton of stress which is supposedly a trigger. Treated with Valtrex I believe (shingles is supposedly related to Herpes). Went away quickly, but I have leftover nerve damage, leaving my back and back of my neck extremely sensitive. If you come pat me on the back, I'm gonna scream.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2023, 04:39 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
My wife had it and was miserable. So I got the vaccine. Had some bad side effects. Messed up my sense of balance, had back to back fever blisters right after, etc. It has gotten better. Wish I wouldn't have gotten vaccine.
My Father-in-law had it for months all over his body and was in agony. Was thinking about getting the vaccine but I’m going to skip it. The only jab I get now is a tetanus booster every 10 years. No side effects and I do get a lot of cuts on rusty metal wrenching on my junk 😁