THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:00 AM

Default Wiper motor

Where is everybody buying their wiper motors from? I would like a good quality one I can trust. I am hesitant to purchase one in fear of getting a cheap remanufactured one that is poor quality.

My car is a 70 gto but am looking for advice from anybody with experience with new units/manufacturers.

Old 12-01-2023, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was finishing a member's '70 last year and had to buy three from different sources before I got one that all functions worked on. FWIW, Ames would not let me return the faulty one I bought from them. I will go through the paperwork and see if I can supply you with the source that worked. Give me a couple of days and I will PM you.

Old 12-01-2023, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have a used one? I have sent my motors to Steve Hackel with excellent results.

http://restorationservice.net/?page_id=37

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 12-01-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
Do you have a used one? I have sent my motors to Steve Hackel with excellent results.

http://restorationservice.net/?page_id=37

No I do not have a used one. I read 400 4spds response above and it is exactly why I started this post. I want this to be a one and done type purchase. Especially since I am just starting the rebuild the car. Whatever wiper motor I get will go untested for awhile. So I want to have some kind of faith in the one I chose.

Old 12-01-2023, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rockauto has them in stock.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...per+motor,8824

Old 12-01-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS circutguy View Post

Thank you for the reply. The wiper motors are easily found throughout the internet from multiple musclecar websites and parts wholesalers. The problem is quality..... the two brands that rockauto sells are both known for poor quality and failing.

That's what I'm trying to stay away from.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

But Rockauto doesn't give you any crap about returning stuff.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
But Rockauto doesn't give you any crap about returning stuff.
In my personal opinion relying on a businesses return policy is a poor way of buying an automotive part.

I would much rather spend extra money to know I am getting a better quality part.

I understand that these days nothing is guaranteed but the purpose of my post is to hopefully find a quality wiper motor and stay away the cheap parts installing, uninstalling, returning and waiting to do it all over again.

Old 12-02-2023, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never had to return any part to RockAuto in 15 yrs.
Including Cardone rebuilds,never.

Looks good quality to me.

Last edited by KS circutguy; 12-02-2023 at 04:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KS circutguy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Never had to return any part to RockAuto in 15 yrs.
Including Cardone rebuilds,never.

Looks good quality to me.

I did genuinely look into the Cardone wiper motors but after looking at their reviews on Summit Racing. 17 total reviews, 5 are 1 or 2 star with complaints of issues and returns.

That seemed excessive to me.

Old 12-02-2023, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do not go by reviews,get 1 and try it.
You really don't have much in the way of alternative units.

Old 12-02-2023, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Do not go by reviews,get 1 and try it.
You really don't have much in the way of alternative units.

You correct, their doesn't seem to many alternatives. I did find a member on ebay who has multiple rebuilt units. Some remanufactured, some rebuilt AC Delco.

I think I am going to spend the extra cash and give him my business.

I appreciate your opinion and experience with Cardone parts. I will keep it in mind before I make a decision.

The Following User Says Thank You to 70geeteeohh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have bought a lot of stuff from Rockauto and have Zero problem with the quality of their parts. All have been name brand. I have only had to return one part because it was "defective" and it turned out it was NOT defective the problem was something else. It was an alternator and most places won't take back electrical parts. The only other item I wanted to send back was a pair of rear brake drums that I didn't think would fit. They agreed to take them back. After getting their okay to return them I actually tried them and even though they look wrong they did fit. So Geeteeohh price was not a problem because all parts have been Name Brand.

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
I have bought a lot of stuff from Rockauto and have Zero problem with the quality of their parts. All have been name brand. I have only had to return one part because it was "defective" and it turned out it was NOT defective the problem was something else. It was an alternator and most places won't take back electrical parts. The only other item I wanted to send back was a pair of rear brake drums that I didn't think would fit. They agreed to take them back. After getting their okay to return them I actually tried them and even though they look wrong they did fit. So Geeteeohh price was not a problem because all parts have been Name Brand.

Did you ever hear of WIA Global? Rockauto also sells that name brand; it cost $20 more but honestly it looks alot nicer than the cardone unit.

This is the first I ever heard of them.

Old 12-03-2023, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a heads up. Cardone is a HUGE rebuilder. NAPA, AUTOZONE, ORIELY'S, ADVANCED AUTO PARTS, ROCK AUTO PARTS, all sell their stuff. Most of the work is done in Mexico. I have had mixed results. Unless you can find an NOS one somewhere, it's just going to be trial and error. Be sure to mount whatever you buy to the firewall and run it through all it's functions and park before putting the arms and blades on. Hook up the wiper transmission, run it to the park position. Then mark a couple splines for ID. Then when you test it you can make sure everything looks right before attaching the arms. Lots of trim and even paint can be damaged by rouge wiper arms and wiper transmissions overrunning glass or scratching paint. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2023, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cardone has been around for as long as I can remember. I was using their stuff in the late 1970's.

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2023, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Me as well.

Old 12-03-2023, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would source a used one (working or not) and have Steve Hackel in IL restore it. It will look and function like new. Everything else is a crap shoot.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjs72lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2023, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A 200 dollar difference not worth the trouble, unless it's a rare collector vehicle.imo

Old 12-03-2023, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This pump is same as Firebird one used with concealed wipers for all but 2 years