The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-18-2024, 06:33 PM

Default 78 Trans AM Front Bumper Fiberglass Core Suppport to Horn Bracket Connection

I'm trying to use the somewhat triangular metal part that connects the center of the front bumper to the radiator support (via the car horn vertical bracket). I'm not sure I have the right bolt locations or if I'm using the correct type of bolts.

In the Front Bracket Right picture the two bolts I'm wondering about are facing the camera. It seems to me that the top bolt is not really attached to the horn support bracket - the hole in the bracket is too large. Should the bolt go through the center hole? Or is this a three bolt design?

I wanted to get this installed correctly. As I was working with it I feel like the position of the somewhat triangular support is adjustable on the horn support bracket. If this is adjustable, I' like to move the top bolt as close to the radiator as possible to that the top of the front bumper fascia moves slightly higher and closer to the hood (Hood to Bumper Gap picture).

So, do I have the right bolts and the right bolt positions? Is this the adjustment point to move the fascia closer to the hood?

Thanks in advance for any help .

TacoTownCharlie

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Bracket Right (Phone).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	632285

Name:	Front Bracket Left (Phone).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	632286

Name:	Hood to Bumper Gap (Phone).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	632287

Old 04-18-2024, 07:01 PM

This is how the fatory bolts appear on my 77 T/A
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3188.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	632293   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3173.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	632294  

Old 04-18-2024, 07:13 PM

Thanks, those pictures help. I think I might need those large washers. It looks they would overlap the top bolt cutout in the horn support bracket and provide a way to attach the two parts. Without that washer the bolt can just pass through the cutout. Time to check the parts bin
TTC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 04-18-2024, 07:14 PM

Thanks, those pictures help. I think I might need those large washers. It looks they would overlap the top bolt cutout in the horn support bracket and provide a way to attach the two parts. Without that washer the bolt can just pass through the cutout. Time to check the parts bin
TTC

Old 04-18-2024, 09:43 PM

OK, just to close this out, I was able to find some washers and get everything bolted together. Now that everything is nice and tight the front fascia now sits closer to the hood. The fascia sits a little low in the center compared to the left or right edge where it sits even.

I think this is as close as I'll get it an I'm going to call it a day before I break something .

Thanks to Yellow Bird for the pictures!
TTC

Before:

Name:	Hood to Bumper Gap Before.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	632295

After:

Name:	Hood to Bumper Gap After.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	632296

The Following User Says Thank You to TacoTownCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 05:09 AM
Suspended

Yes, you need large washers to cover the holes they left for adjustment of the nose support bracket. I think the original 5/16" screws shown by Yellow Bird had the captive washer, but if you don't have that type then simply add large washers for clamping beyond holes.\

Also, does your nose cone cover have hex-head screws with washers holding it around the edge into the fibreglass support? Or it may have nylon push-pins if a replacement spare part? The screw type can be adjusted slightly to lift the cover to line up with hood, the push-pins are staying where they sit.

Last edited by Red80TA; 04-23-2024 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the comment about the large washers. I found two and I think it really helps.

The nose cover has the hex-head screws (purchased from our Sponsor).

Name:	Hex Bolts.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	632530

I still have a height gap in the center of the hood to the nose cover. It is almost even at the edges. I think I'll take a look at the bolts close to the center and see if I can't bring the nose up just a little bit more. Thanks for your comments.

Name:	Hood.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	632531

Old 04-23-2024, 10:16 PM
Suspended

That's them. There is minimal adjustment available by loosening a few of them and lifting nose cover to suit or straighten. Of course limited by hole clearance, can be enlarged, covered by washer. The fibreglass threads aren't strong so screw up firm only. It doesn't replace proper panel alignment, just tweaking.

You can also add a washer under the the radiator support to each location that mount the hood latch to bring it down in the centre, allowing hood flex to stay at existing corner heights.

Last edited by Red80TA; 04-23-2024 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:44 PM

Red80TA,
Thanks for the info about the nose cover hex screws. I adjusted them as much as I could. The height gap was ~ 4/10''

Name:	Height Gap Before.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	632564

After I made my adjustments I brought it down by 1/10''

Name:	Height Gap After.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	632565

I'll take a look at adding a washer under the radiator support where the hood latch bracket attaches. That's a good idea, I'm sure that would have never occurred to me.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:06 PM

OK, I added one washer under each of the three bolts that attach the hood release to the radiator core support. Two washers thick was too much - I couldn't get the hood to fully engage with the latch mechanism.

Name:	Height Gap Update.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	632580

I think this is probably the best I can get it. I tell myself that this gap really doesn't bother me too much - my son and I had a little laugh this afternoon about Dad's obsessive tendencies

Big thanks to Yellow Bird for the initial help and to Red80TA for jumping in there with some really helpful suggestions.

See you on the road!