73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 05-07-2006, 10:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to Milwaukee TA
Default !977 Can Am

Hello all, I'm new here. Came across your group by chance. I just recieved a 1977 Can Am that was in storage for the last 10 years. The car sustained heavy damage to the right rear quarter panel. Other than that the car is all intack. My question is. Do I try and restore this vehicle or part it out? The car was in a leaky garage all this time and has alot of surface rust on it. The interior is in very good condition. Had the red bucket seats as well as the floor shifter. I'm an F Body guy myself, so my knowlege on these A bodies is nill. But by looking at pictures of these cars in good condition they are very cool looking.

Roman

Old 05-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Seeing pictures of it would help form an opinion.
Which engine does it have?
Is the spoiler still intact?
How many miles showing?

Old 05-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Senior Chief

I live in Slinger. I might have to take a jaunt over by you sometime to take a look at your Canam, if you don't mind. If interested, send me a pm. Congrats on getting a potentially great car!

My Dad's 59. The start of my love for Pontiacs!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:35 AM

I'll get pictures of it tonight. Also it has the 6.6 (400) motor. The spoiler is still there. but about 6" is missing from the end the quarter panel that was hit

Old 05-08-2006, 07:36 AM

[QUOTE=Milwaukee TA]I'll get pictures of it tonight. Also it has the 6.6 (400) motor. The spoiler is still there. but about 6" is missing from the end the quarter panel that was hit. The odometer is showing 80K

Old 05-11-2006, 07:09 AM

Roman, post the pics and let the experts here tell you if it's worth saving. I say don't part it out, there just isn't that many left! This car was rare in 1977! If it's too much for you to handle, sell it as a whole. A few cars have sold on Ebay recently and got decent money for being projects. These cars are cool looking fixed up, and they scream "I'm different" to the world! That's why I love my Can Am. Good luck. David

1977 Pontiac Can Am, firethorn interior- buckets/console,tilt,tach and a/c, posi and rally II's. I'm the 4th owner, and happy it's mine! I tried to buy my first one in 1986, 20 years later I finally got one! Then Only after a few fun years, needed to sell it.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Senior Chief

Roman,
Do you already have the car? Have you seen it in person or just in pics? If you have it in your possession, I could come and look at it and give you my opinion. Let me know if your interested.
Bill

Old 05-11-2006, 09:57 AM

I have the car in my garage. I tried to post pics. But for some reason it never gets through. I keep getting the screen to sign in on. Not sure whats wrong with the server or my computer. Will try again tonight

Old 05-11-2006, 11:56 AM

I love hearing about these "barn fresh" cars.
Every night on my travel home I'm trying to see in Barns, buildings, anything that may hold a car.
There are quite a few "garaged" in my area, that if you didnt know the person, you'd never know there was a classic car sitting inside

1973 Grand Prix
1973 project X
1991 Sunbird V6 convertible (wifes)
Old 05-11-2006, 03:52 PM

Some very poor pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1499.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	52628   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1500.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	52629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1502.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	52630  

Old 05-11-2006, 04:11 PM

another
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1497.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	52631  

Old 05-11-2006, 10:49 PM

The way I see it, take the 20 grand that would be needed to restore this car, and buy a finished car. A beautiful Can-Am was sold at the Jackson-Barrett auction for just over that amount, and it is certainly one of the top 5 CAs in the country. Just my .02 worth.

Sure makes me appreciate my car, that's for sure-

Phil from Milwaukee

Old 05-12-2006, 01:11 AM

Ouch! Well the interior is in very good shape. Let some other people look at it, before parting it or selling it. Maybe take some pictures to some body shops and see how much to fix the quarter panel/trunk area, and repaint it. That will determine a lot right there. I sure hate to see another one parted. David

1977 Pontiac Can Am, firethorn interior- buckets/console,tilt,tach and a/c, posi and rally II's. I'm the 4th owner, and happy it's mine! I tried to buy my first one in 1986, 20 years later I finally got one! Then Only after a few fun years, needed to sell it.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:30 AM

I would say that a lot depends on the rest of the car and the condition it's in - suspension, brakes, engine, .. mileage.. etc. That looks like a very hard hit to me, to the point of 50/50 on whether it's worth it or not to restore it. It might be cheaper and easier to rebody it.

The values on the Can Am are going up, but I have a feeling you'd be into this car for more than it's worth. Get more estimates, I agree with dblsprt.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:25 PM

I dunno...Judging by the dash pad and the good color of the amber marker lights, this looks to be a lower mileage car. Or at least has been out of the sun for some time. If the floors are good then I'd save it. I'd buy a a donor rear clip and send it off to the frame shop. Short of that I see big money for wheel well moldings and the spoiler end. In my opinion all of that is not a deal breaker considering what it is...rare... I mean paint is paint and any restoration includes that. I suppose it depends on what you want from the car? Do you wish to own it and drive it? or fix it up and sell it. If it's the latter, then you'll lose. If you spend the time and money and own it for years you'll win.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:19 AM

Also depends how much you're already into it. You said you 'received' it...free? And as WW3 says, it depends on your plans for it. If you intend to keep it for yourself, then putting the money into fixing the rear clip could be worth it. If not, then there's a definite market (though admittedly small) for Can Am parts.

1977 Can Am (T/A 6.6, posi, Buckskin interior, tilt/AC/PW, 115K miles) - need sheet metal, care to help?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why did they name this town Port Saint Lucie, when there's no port at all here?
Old 05-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Senior Chief

I'd have to say the car is worth saving, if you do alot of the work yourself you can save money also and it will be your car in the end, not someone elses finished project.

Wanted 1977 Can Am forgotten projects or parts cars, other 73-77 Pontiac A-bodys, also 4-speed setup for 73-77 GTO, Grand Ams, CA e-mail me shubedo1@yahoo.com with info. Buy Sell or Trade --------------------------------------
Old 05-16-2006, 07:39 AM

Thanks for all the input. Looks like to much work and trouble for me. I'm going to sell it as whole. Anyone interested in it before it goes on Ebay let me know.

It's located in Cudahy, WI.

Roman
(414) 614-4311

Old 05-16-2006, 03:40 PM

Tropic Dave is looking and there's a Bill (not billigoat) that's looking and of course Scott will may want it too!

Old 05-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Senior Chief

I am close enough to go look at the car if someone wants me too.
Good luck with the sale Roman. I hope someone gets it who can get it back to its former glory.