Old 03-05-2024, 08:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Decor group door trim on a 78

I have a 1978 that has the bright trim along the top of the door. It also has rubber weatherstripping with the bright stainless bead. Is this correct? It looks off to me and I think the weatherstrip should be the one without the stainless bead. Any opinions are appreciated.

Old 03-05-2024, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it continues across fenders and hood its factory.
Greetings from the Woodward area.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 03-05-2024, 08:18 PM

Your assumptions are correct. If it has both, then someone has used the wrong window seal strips. These cars always had a single bright trim there in some capacity.

Either the tiny bead that is fixed to the seal on a car with no decor trim or a plain rubber seal with no bead if the car had the large decor strips around door tops, hood and fender tips. They also didn't have no trim and no seal bead, unless someone has selected that look.

Many times the ads for these seals are so confusing that someone correct could still buy the wrong type or think they were wrong and buy the wrong sort instead. It's easier if think of being a single bright strip only on all options.

Last edited by Red80TA; 03-05-2024 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the replies. I just got this car. Not sure if I'm going to keep it or purchase a completed one. Life changed directions a bit.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:39 PM

This sounds like the B85 Window Sill and Hood molding option. If this is a big piece of removeable stainless steel trim held in with small plastic clips along the top of the door, the tips of the fenders, and the back rim of the hood, this is a pay extra option.

You are correct in saying that when coupled with this option, the weather-stripping should be the thinner style with NO chrome bead. Many don't notice the difference and just buy the first one available online.

1978 Macho #46
1978 W50/L80
1971 W66/M20/L78
1987 GTA L98
Old 03-06-2024, 08:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthe222 View Post
This sounds like the B85 Window Sill and Hood molding option. If this is a big piece of removeable stainless steel trim held in with small plastic clips along the top of the door, the tips of the fenders, and the back rim of the hood, this is a pay extra option.

You are correct in saying that when coupled with this option, the weather-stripping should be the thinner style with NO chrome bead. Many don't notice the difference and just buy the first one available online.
Agree, Thanks

Old 03-06-2024, 11:26 PM

Thanks Max lol.
Just to confirm, the weatherstrip is the same, one has a bead, round on Firebird models, and one does not. You could even say the one without the bead looks larger.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm going to fix this soon, as well as change the glass and door latch. I found the non beaded GM weatherstrip in my parts collection.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Twister For This Useful Post: