THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-22-2023, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Watching a video on Richard Petty and his 43 Jr Barracuda

Why I'm I posting this well I'll get to that. Richard Petty left NASCAR in 65 because other manufacturers were complaining about the dominance of the hemi. So Petty went drag racing with a hemi Barricuda,43Jr. His first match race was tragic,something happened to the front steering so the video says,he went off the track injured some people tragically a little boy died. He was match racing Arnie Beswick.

Old 10-22-2023, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't comment on it being his first match race, or him racing Beswick in that race, but he did leave the track and a boy about 10y.o. was killed. The car was buried on the Petty compound in Level Cross for many years, and was dug up because of foundation work being done for building expansion.
When it was dug up, Maurice contacted an old friend of the Pettys near Selma N.C. and offered it for free, as long as he (Billy "West" Peaden) promised not to profit from, sell or display the car to the public. I could tell more, but the car does exist and I have seen, photographed and laid my hands on it. BTW, there were 2 Barracudas that he raced, one a four speed and the other an automatic.

Here is an old thread about that car.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...p?t=708965atic.

Last edited by 400 4spd.; 10-22-2023 at 07:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2023, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. I saw another video with the car rusted. I still have an magazine article in SS&DI on the car being built. I was made fun of because of my Pontiacs by local Mopar guys back in the 60s,Pontiacs dont run.so I'm tainted. Petty family seemed to have a good 'act'.

Old 10-22-2023, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This Dodge was parked about 30 feet from the Petty car, Arlen Vanke's 63 Dodge convertible Executioner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arlen Vanke.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	622099