Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 PM

Default Auto Shift Knob

The previous owner of the car for some reason has glued the shift button down on the car. I am about to change the carpet and there is a good chance the "depress" button will be destroyed. I was looking through my many catologs and have discovered they dont sell any automatic transmission shift knobs or buttons. Everthing is geared (no pun intended)toward manuals. Anys suggestions as to where to look or who might have one?
Thanks again for all your help.
This is the best forum for Pontiac information.

www.fquick.com/mikecio1
http://www.facebook.com/MikeCio1
Old 09-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to SteveGB21
Cool Shifter knob.

MikeCio1,

So is this the Rally Shifter? If so, you can find a replacement knob. It just won't be original, but will work. Classic Industries sells them for Firebirds (the black vinyl one). You can find all the hardware for it. As with the shifter, it was practically the same shifter. The only differences are the mounting points. I am talking about the '70-'81 Firebird/Formula/Trans Am and the '73-'81 Camaro/Z-28. Hope this helps.

Steve

P.S. If you need a spare shifter (this one off a '70's Firebird, I have one to donate for parts)

Old 09-12-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGB21 View Post
MikeCio1,

So is this the Rally Shifter? If so, you can find a replacement knob. It just won't be original, but will work. Classic Industries sells them for Firebirds (the black vinyl one). You can find all the hardware for it. As with the shifter, it was practically the same shifter. The only differences are the mounting points. I am talking about the '70-'81 Firebird/Formula/Trans Am and the '73-'81 Camaro/Z-28. Hope this helps.

Steve

P.S. If you need a spare shifter (this one off a '70's Firebird, I have one to donate for parts)
Yes that does help. Yes its the auto rally shifter. Monday we will attempt to dis assemble it. After that I will see what I need. Thank You!

www.fquick.com/mikecio1
Old 09-13-2008, 09:34 AM

Its a wooden knob with a PMD button

www.fquick.com/mikecio1
Old 09-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to SteveGB21
Cool The wood type knob.

MikeCio1,

Unfortunatly for the wood knob, no on at this time as made a reproduction. For the '69/'70 Pontiac A-Body (LeMans Sport/GTO), the '69 Firebird, and the '69/'70 Grand Prix, finding one of those won't be an easy task. The one I told you about is for the '71-'72 A & G-Bodies, the '70-'81 Firebird ('73-'81 Camaro) black vinyl knob. Realize that it won't be original, but that is as close to a replacement you can find for right now. Performance Years have the little clip that mounts onto the button for the shifter, and the two houseshoe needle plier rings that are needed for it. A washer is also required (can't remember if that one is available for sale). I guess one can come up with a makeshift one from a hardware store. I know this since I had one of those shifters at one time (sold it since I later got a Hurst Dual-Gate off a '68 GTO).

Old 09-14-2008, 11:49 AM

I Have an extra one with the Red PMD letters. The ring is a little chewed up around the edge and it has scratch on the topwhere the letters are. Definetly for a driver.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First see if you can remove the knob downward. Then try to remove the button.
http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....d.php?t=487595

Old 09-18-2008, 08:08 AM

Default '70 GTO auto shift knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCio1 View Post
The previous owner of the car for some reason has glued the shift button down on the car. I am about to change the carpet and there is a good chance the "depress" button will be destroyed. I was looking through my many catologs and have discovered they dont sell any automatic transmission shift knobs or buttons. Everthing is geared (no pun intended)toward manuals. Anys suggestions as to where to look or who might have one?
Thanks again for all your help.
This is the best forum for Pontiac information.
I have a very nice knob with the black plastic push button with red PMD letters - nearly perfect. Also comes with the special washer and snap ring. Some finger wear on a small area of the knob which has diminished the wood grain look a bit.
I'll send it to you and you can give me what you think it's worth to you. At least reimburse the shipping cost. I can't offer you a better deal than that.
You have to pry the button out of the knob. The knob will not move downward on the shifter shaft since the knob sits down tight on the shaft. Don't worry about ruining the button - it has to come off to get to the snap ring that holds the body of the knob onto the shifter. Good luck.
Frank Hummel, Jr.
Email: fghjr@bellsouth.net

Last edited by FHummel; 09-18-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:04 PM

Default Restoring Automatic shift knob?

Does anyone know if the "walnut" automatic shift knob
(outside part) is able to be restored? What is it actually made of?
Greg

Old 09-23-2008, 07:54 PM

Default shift knob material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP View Post
Does anyone know if the "walnut" automatic shift knob
(outside part) is able to be restored? What is it actually made of?
Greg
I believe the knob is of a dense plastic material. Don't think it can be easily restored, but that would depend on the wear/damage present. The faux wood-grain gets worn off from use. If the worn area is not too large I suppose you could try to carefully 'engrave' some new graining and then stain it with a walnut stain to highlight the 'new' grain. It just might work.
Frank

Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 PM

Thanks Frank.
I just found this thread posted by Dar. Looks interesting on how he restored his. I don't know how to link over to it but I have copied and pasted the info. Photos didn't come over.

Posted by Dar 07-26-2008, 12:45 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the steps I did with my shift knob which looked crappy to start with, but I am satisfied with the results.

1) cleaned the outside really good, then degreased with Dupont autobody wax and grease remover.

2) found a black ink pen that would write on this knob. This particular one worked great and had a fine tip for small detail, most pens will not work. I filled in the low spots where I could, but there were worn areas on my knob where it has worn smooth. In these areas I just cont'd to lay ink on it as if it had low areas. Made it up so to speak.

3) This shows the knob after all the ink work is done. I let it dry for several days to make sure it was dry, so it wouldn't smudge.

4) Bought a Minwax Stain Touch up marker from Home Depot that best matches the woodgrain color inserts for my console and dash. I have seen at least two different types of woodgrain inserts from the vendors. Anyway I think I did one or two coats with the marker and again let it dry for several days.

5) Then I clear coated the entire knob with about 2-3 coats. I think I used regular gloss clear, but you could use a flatter clear if thats your preference. I was happy with this sheen.

Only time will tell how long it holds up, but it was pretty darn easy to do so I will just do it again when needed.

BTW, my knob button was pretty good so I just had to pollish it with Maguire's plastic lense cleaner/pollish.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 09-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....d.php?t=568724