Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 12-19-2022, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Disappointed again

Ordered 2 pulleys, a nut and body to frame repair. It was 4 pounds and 10 oz. I figured that shipping would be $12-15. They don't quote shipping prices before shipping nor could they. When I got the package with the repair piece half out of the box. Poor packing and to my surprise the shipping was $25. So I checked USPS (their sender) and the actual price was $25. Merry Christmas to me.

Old 12-19-2022, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That did and should have read that USPS rate was $13.78 and I was charged $25. It looks like my original post was edited and they replaced my $13.78 with $25 to make themselves look better.

Old 12-19-2022, 11:24 PM

Nobody edited your post.

All posts in this particular forum as well as the Pontiac Business Entities Exchange forum must await a moderators approval before they show up, but again let’s not try to place blame for your posting mistake on someone here helping to run the forums or someone from Ames.

You see those of us moderating here and helping to keep the forums going don’t work full time here nor do we get paid to do so. There was a lapse of several hours between the time you posted and the time I saw it and approved it. Our resources are limited here so there is often a delay.

Don’t insult us by insinuating there’s something nefarious going on here, the Ames representative cannot see your post unless a moderator sees it first to approve it.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2022, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, I was upset and maybe I typed it in wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2022, 12:22 AM

Did they include a catalog with your shipment? If not, ask for one. Shipping costs are listed a few pages in. Ames bases shipping cost on the total price of your order, not weight. I try to get as close as possible to save a couple of bucks. Give them a call and tell them about the poor packaging also.

Old 12-21-2022, 08:51 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtoFM View Post
Did they include a catalog with your shipment? If not, ask for one. Shipping costs are listed a few pages in. Ames bases shipping cost on the total price of your order, not weight. I try to get as close as possible to save a couple of bucks. Give them a call and tell them about the poor packaging also.
The shipping prices listed in the latest catalog are incorrect. They have raised them since the last print.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:33 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
Ordered 2 pulleys, a nut and body to frame repair. It was 4 pounds and 10 oz. I figured that shipping would be $12-15. They don't quote shipping prices before shipping nor could they. When I got the package with the repair piece half out of the box. Poor packing and to my surprise the shipping was $25. So I checked USPS (their sender) and the actual price was $25. Merry Christmas to me.
Arbys, I would say a few years back your shipping calculations would be close. However, the mail order restoration industry has had a heck of a ride the past three years with the lack of product, then inflation and major shipping increases. We use a scale based on order total that includes shipping all over the country and also free shipping of backorders, which most of our competitors don’t include. We do a lot of work to ensure our shipping rates stay competitive but to double check ourselves we priced up your order from our competitors, shipping to MI using a combination of USPS and UPS (I used the 1st letter of there name). O - $36.15, N - $30.70, C - $30.95, Y - $26.14.

We use USPS and as a majority UPS and our shipping rates reflect an average of that. USPS is straight forward but not always the best solution but UPS has a few new and old charges/tricks to make sure they are profitable: Residential surcharge $4.85, Delivery Area Surcharge $4.87 and Minimum Package limits make it impossible to ship the smallest package to a residence in a rural area for less than $15.00. In addition they charge us a 25% fuel surcharge, a year round “peak Season” $6.50 handling charge and there are multiple $17.50 to $165.00 large packages surcharges. This is all published information on their website but I bring it up so people know its not Ames.

If you would like to talk further about this or any previous issues, please email or give me a call.

Thank you,
Kyler @ Ames

800-421-2637
kyler@amesperf.com

Old 12-22-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekheavy View Post
The shipping prices listed in the latest catalog are incorrect. They have raised them since the last print.
Good to know, thanks tek.
Plus, they still need to improve the online catalog!

Old 12-22-2022, 11:10 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtoFM View Post
Good to know, thanks tek.
Plus, they still need to improve the online catalog!
A new website is in the final stages and should be live very shortly. This will make online browsing and ordering much easier! We'll continue to have our most current catalog available as a downloadable PDF.

Thank you!
Kyler @ Ames

Old 12-23-2022, 10:35 AM

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to GtoFM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Saw an article about fed ex the other day they are upping prices again. Amazon shipping all its own goods has cut into their shipping so they have been struggling . The article actually suggested some shipping companies may not survive .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 12-23-2022, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMES-TECH View Post
A new website is in the final stages and should be live very shortly. This will make online browsing and ordering much easier! We'll continue to have our most current catalog available as a downloadable PDF.

Thank you!
Kyler @ Ames

Prefer Ames over all others. In the new website Please note shortcomings of parts so buyers know. Maybe even make it so buyers can edit that and update it to take some load off you guys . That would be really helpful to buyers .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 12-23-2022, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if you don't want to pay shipping you could always drive over to get it.

Old 12-23-2022, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
Merry Christmas to me.
Ordering things less than two weeks from Christmas guarantees one of two things will happen - it's either going to be delayed, or it's going to be handled roughly. I've seen more delivery trucks this week than I have all year long. Sucks that USPS was throwing your parts around, but you did get them in a timely manner.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ijrotla.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	604002