Old 03-11-2023, 05:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Turn signal took a break. What to do

Need some thoughts from you guys , So I have my dash out to replace tach. Switched all the dash bulbs over to led as well while I had the patient open. Before I close her up I go to test everything and found two issues.

1. The tun signal indicator in the dash only lights up for right turns. Left turn does not light up on dash. I checked the outside of the car and the turn lights work fine on both sides. What did I screw up?

2. This may be an anomaly, but it kind of feels like the tach it’s slightly lazy to the sound of the engine. Is that a thing or am I imagining it as this is the first start up since fall and maybe I forgot how that looks/works.

thanks for any thoughts. LED dash looks great. I’ll take some pics when it’s all back together

Old 03-11-2023, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you try rotating the bulb 180 degrees and plugging it back in? Some of the LEDs are sensitive to polarity and will only work in one direction. And did you try a different LED ... some of them just plain don't work.

Old 03-12-2023, 12:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did not. I’ll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks dataway

Old 03-12-2023, 08:53 AM

It's a '64, correct? So just 1 bulb for both right and left. Did you retest original bulb? If same bad result, dig into the wiring. If incandescent bulb works, I wouldn't think the polarity could change, but sh!t happens.

Old 03-12-2023, 01:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yep 64. Swapping back original bulb fixed it. Tried another led for kicks and it did not work. So don’t use led for blinker. The led are also too bright for idiot lights. Bulb shows thru red plastic too much. So I went back to standard bulbs for blinkers and idiot lights and kept led for overall dash illumination. Compare of bulbs in pic. Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67199591-514C-4172-AC2C-8F961588733D.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	608758