Old 10-19-2022, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post
Anyone here using these conversion housings from IPCW?

Pretty cheap on Amazon
Yes, I use them in the Camaro and in the Chevelle. I got dad onto these and he also uses them in his GTO. I will probably buy another set of the IPCW lenses and LED bulbs for the Firebird when I get around to it.

I've been happy with them. They take any H4 LED but the LED I've found that I like the most are the Lightening Dark, also sold on Amazon. A little more expensive than other H4 LED's but they project a better beam that is adjustable and there is a more noticeable difference between the low beam and high beam.
Here are the LED's I use...... https://www.amazon.com/LIGHTENING-DA...s%2C119&sr=8-4

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 03-19-2023, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My sister picked me up from SeaTac at 10pm last week. I noted immediately that her 2008 Subaru's light pattern was much whiter - I inquired how. Her BF installed a set of Forenner LED inserts, big difference!

I ordered a set, installed the other day then tested tonite - sizable difference.
Bulbs have theses little fans to keep them cool but draw very little power versus the halogen bulbs in the Cibie housings. Not seeing $400 for the Holley units, though I did have the housings already.

Halogen pattern:

LED pattern:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Halogen pattern.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	609097   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED pattern.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	609098  

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put the Holly LED headlights in the Judge. All I can say is WOW.

The rest of the conversion has been less than fun. The tail lights are fine using the Performance World Tail lights. The parking lights are a different story. The light on the drivers side was intermittent. The old lights worked fine. I had a couple of housings in the parts bucket. Those two do the same thing. If I hold the bulb a certain way...it stays on. Our sponser doesnt have any in stock (front parking/signal light housing) Neither does anyone else.

Too keep busy, I crawled under the dash removed the flasher and installed the LED flasher and put it to ground. Cant for the life of me find the other flasher. Its not in the fuse box and doesnt seem to be near the steering column.....Signals and 4 way flashers do not work. I hate my cars.

Old 09-04-2023, 12:49 AM
Senior Chief

Been a full year with the Holley Retrobrights......They are great. Back and forth a lot between Whitefish MT and Eureka MT at night this past summer, they light up the road like a modern car, and excellent when on hi-beam. Expensive, but worth every penny, several oh-sh.t moments when you round a corner and 4 whitetails standing in the ditch, likely would not have seen with T3's, or Sylvanias. If you are driving outside the city, get 'em.

Old 09-04-2023, 02:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I installed a set in my 77 T/A. They were on sale for $80 each so I sprung for 2. Much better than original price of course but I couldn’t justify replacing all 4 so I’ve left my sealed beam incandescent high beams installed. Nonetheless, wow, they really are a great product. Not sure I could ever have justified regular price but certainly at $80 each they’re worth it.

I really don’t even need the sealed beam highs plugged in as the outer low/highs do a great job. There is a tiny bit of a different look to the less if you’re paying attention so I’d like to find some aftermarket lenses that look closer to the Holley’s that I could add LED bulbs to. For now they’ll do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9538.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	619390  

Brian
Old 09-09-2023, 12:56 PM

Daniel Stern has been an authority on headlights for a long time.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Here's some good upgrades for less money.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

I have a pair of the Koitos on my Suburban

Old 10-22-2023, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy11 View Post
Have you looked into Cibie/Valeo? Probably the highest quality convex lenses out there and you can put whatever bulb in them that you like.

The Hella are good quality alternatives to save some $$ if you don’t mind the fact they’re essentially flat.

Even running a standard H4 bulb in either one of them is an unbelievable difference. You can install a quick no-splice relay while you’re at it to maximize your light.
Would you have to splice in a relay with the Hella lights? Or is it more of a recommendation? I know it's advised to with the sealed halogens to save your dimmer switch, but wasn't sure if it was the same in a light with the replaceable H4 bulb. I've been reading all the light threads on here and just recently scrolled past Hella lights on Summit's website.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another success story.

It's been a year for me as well with the low beam Holly retro-bright (classic) in my 74 Bonne. Since she is my airport commuter, and I often travel at night, the difference is night and day (no pun intended). Huge improvement over stock, even Halogen, and zero issues in regular use for a year plus.

Like most of you, the cost was pretty high, so that's why I just tried the two. I'd love to put them in all of my cars, but probably won't happen simply due to price.

Seems like lots of good options out there. I'm always curious with what others are doing. I'm looking into upgrades for the rest of my fleet as I go along. Balance of price/reliability/function/form, etc...

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 10-24-2023, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been using the $20 conversion housings from Amazon along with the Lightening Dark H4 LED's that just plug into the existing harness.......for about 5 years now on both daily drivers. Been fantastic.

They a cheap enough that I converted all the cars over to it now.

Old 10-24-2023, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks FJ. So you're using the iPCW housings with the Dark Halogen, correct? What is the difference in color with that 'Dark Halogen?' Is it less blue, or?

I'm more a fan of the yellow 'classic' look like the Holley's have, but I'm willing to try others if it's considerably cheaper with great lighting.

I may give this combo a try on my 72 GT.

Old 10-24-2023, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the IPCW housings but I use the white LED's from Lightening Dark. They are bright white. 6500 lumens I think they are rated at. Very nice light projection and very bright. Worlds better over the standard halogen bulbs I've run for decades.

Old 10-24-2023, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I use the IPCW housings but I use the white LED's from Lightening Dark. They are bright white. 6500 lumens I think they are rated at. Very nice light projection and very bright. Worlds better over the standard halogen bulbs I've run for decades.
Same H4 bulbs in all 4 sockets, or different bulbs for low and high beam side?

I'm a little unclear looking at the Amazon link, and I have limited experience with the new design bulbs. Been around my old cars too long I guess.

Old 10-24-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I've been using the $20 conversion housings from Amazon along with the Lightening Dark H4 LED's that just plug into the existing harness.......for about 5 years now on both daily drivers. Been fantastic.

They a cheap enough that I converted all the cars over to it now.
I've seen you post about your great experience with these before and I'm curious to maybe try some. Is this the conversion housing you are using? And did you wire relays in or anything?

https://www.amazon.com/IPCW-CWC-7003...ustomerReviews

Old 10-24-2023, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the glass and metal housings that Hella make
They probably even have LEDs that fit now. I think they used H4.
Have a nice cut off so can go a little brighter.Most likely cant find in SAE
anymore so stuck with U R a Peeing.

Old 10-24-2023, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Pontiac View Post
Same H4 bulbs in all 4 sockets, or different bulbs for low and high beam side?

I'm a little unclear looking at the Amazon link, and I have limited experience with the new design bulbs. Been around my old cars too long I guess.
Same bulb in all 4 housings. They just tell you to snip off the 3rd prong for the high beam socket.

Old 10-24-2023, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbrown31 View Post
I've seen you post about your great experience with these before and I'm curious to maybe try some. Is this the conversion housing you are using? And did you wire relays in or anything?

https://www.amazon.com/IPCW-CWC-7003...ustomerReviews
Yep those are the housings for the 4 headlight setup. They also sell the 7" for the single headlight guys. Made of glass, not any cheap plastic stuff.

No relays or anything, the H4 LED's simply plug into your existing headlight socket/harness.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2023, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Same bulb in all 4 housings. They just tell you to snip off the 3rd prong for the high beam socket.
Thanks FJ. I think I'll give 'em a shot in my 72.

Old 10-28-2023, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You're on to a good thing here, FJ. Installed them today on my 72 GT, and just got home from a 'dark road' roll. HUGE improvement in visibility. Made me think I was in my wife's newer Audi!

That being said, they remind me of just that... a newer car. Absolutely love the visibility improvement, but it will take me some time to decide if I can live with the brighter white hue, or if I want to stick to the classic 'yellow' hue of the Holley Retrobrights. Both designs light up the night wonderfully, but is that huge price difference worth the retro color? I dunno yet.

Luv First World problems. Heh.

Thanks for the suggestion though for sure. For those of you who don't mind the newer bright white look, I highly recommend these! All in (4 bulbs) for less than the price of one Holley Retrobright. Hard to argue.

(Before and After photos from old school Halogens)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C72538D7-44B9-469B-B33D-143EB7662FDA.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	622422   Click image for larger version

Name:	9EF15E6E-BCB2-4D72-BA0C-46FC15C26C4F.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	622423  

The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Pontiac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2023, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know everyone's eye's will be quite different but here's what I've noticed.

The clean bright white light will reflect off road signs much better at night (for my wife and I) so I can see what's coming much easier, and sooner. Especially on roads with faster speeds. It also lights up the painted lines on the roads much better. One interesting thing I've also noticed at night is how they show off the road imperfections at night. Dips, holes, even wash board (A thing out here) will show up with the bright white light across the blacktop that I otherwise can't see with the more yellowed (what they now call dirty) light.

As we get older it's become a much safer way to travel at night for us.

Old 10-29-2023, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I know everyone's eye's will be quite different but here's what I've noticed.

The clean bright white light will reflect off road signs much better at night (for my wife and I) so I can see what's coming much easier, and sooner. Especially on roads with faster speeds. It also lights up the painted lines on the roads much better. One interesting thing I've also noticed at night is how they show off the road imperfections at night. Dips, holes, even wash board (A thing out here) will show up with the bright white light across the blacktop that I otherwise can't see with the more yellowed (what they now call dirty) light.

As we get older it's become a much safer way to travel at night for us.
Agreed on all. I noticed the bright reflectivity of street signs and the road stripes right away too. I hadn't thought about the road imperfections, but I will look for that comparison next drive. As I mentioned, the visibility felt just like driving my wife's new Audi, and that may be part of the reason too.

Another concern I've had with LED headlights is the 'tiger stripes' that they can emit (kind of looks like stripes of bright light and stripes of dark intermixed). I've seen this problem on my Harley with different LED headlights until I found the one with the least amount. That was a concern I had with these bulbs as well. While I did notice a small amount of the tiger stripes, it was very minimal which pleased me.

Again, for me, it just has to do with a loss of the 'nostalgic' feel of the yellow hue. I still have that feel with my Bonneville and it's Holley Retro-brights.

I'm happy to have both now to compare and contrast. I may need to take both cars out on the same night, same road, same conditions to get a true comparison. My eyes are getting older too, so I want to make a wise decision for the last car I need to outfit, my 71 GTO. For now, it still retains the Halogens and will for a time until I decide for sure which version I prefer.