Old 04-12-2023, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default issues with my 72 formula hood

not sure if my hood has been altered if you look at the 1st photo the driver side fender and the hump on the bumper kind of line up ,but the hood has a very tight gap . the pass side the hump is off and the hood is also tight i Can not bring the pass side in because my hood will not close , maybe the hood got some body work on the sides ,can i sand it down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ol1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	610655   Click image for larger version

Name:	pl1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	610656   Click image for larger version

Name:	pl5.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	610657   Click image for larger version

Name:	pl3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	610658  

Old 04-13-2023, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

yes you can sand it some, but its not very thick so be careful to not break through, although since its fiberglass if you go to far it can be repaired.

just be glad the hood is not warped/bowed, thats much harder to deal with.

Old 04-13-2023, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
yes you can sand it some, but its not very thick so be careful to not break through, although since its fiberglass if you go to far it can be repaired.

just be glad the hood is not warped/bowed, thats much harder to deal with.
not sure how much i can gain if move the fender in to line up with the bumper hump

Old 04-13-2023, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
not sure how much i can gain if move the fender in to line up with the bumper hump
based on the pics, i dont think the fender can go in any more. if anything i would move the fenders out a bit to open the side gap to the hood. body panel gaps were never perfect on these cars, once its all together & painted, slight differences in gaps aren't that big of a deal unless youre going for perfection.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2023, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
based on the pics, i dont think the fender can go in any more. if anything i would move the fenders out a bit to open the side gap to the hood. body panel gaps were never perfect on these cars, once its all together & painted, slight differences in gaps aren't that big of a deal unless youre going for perfection.
ya think i am getting a bit to picky thanks for your input

The Following User Says Thank You to grd777 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2023, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
not sure if my hood has been altered if you look at the 1st photo the driver side fender and the hump on the bumper kind of line up ,but the hood has a very tight gap . the pass side the hump is off and the hood is also tight i Can not bring the pass side in because my hood will not close , maybe the hood got some body work on the sides ,can i sand it down
any way i can fix the pass side

Old 04-14-2023, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Block of wood and a BFH. Open the hood...put that block of wood in the jam....and make a gap...it’s not rocket science

Old 04-15-2023, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

can you explain that process of a block of wood & BFH a little more? what gap can be made that wont effect the gap on the other side?

based on the pics & what he described he cant just make a gap on one side without changing the gap on the other side, which as of right now there is no room for that as the hood already hits the fender with tight gaps on both sides. i agree a block of wood & BFH can help with minor adjustments & that body panel alignment isnt really rocket science, but theres only so much you can do if things are already at their max adjustment & hitting. sounds like something else is off, maybe the core support or subframe arent squared up? hard to tell based on a few pics on the internet, but doesnt look like he can just pound on the hood to create a gap that isnt there. but worth a try.

Old 04-15-2023, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm pretty sure he means using it on the inside jamb of the fender, not on the fiberglass hood.
My questions to the OP- are those aftermarket fenders or aftermarket inner fenders? If so, try almost backing out the bolts that point upwards through the inners and see if the fender gaps improve.

Old 04-15-2023, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

wasnt sure what or where he meant to hit stuff to create a gap, just asking for some clarification... the fenders move in/out by hand force with the adjustment bolts loosened, ive never had to hit them with a block of wood & BFH to adjust gaps.

Old 04-15-2023, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Block of wood and a BFH. Open the hood...put that block of wood in the jam....and make a gap...it’s not rocket science
i no it is not rocket science, but that is not my issue

Old 04-15-2023, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
I'm pretty sure he means using it on the inside jamb of the fender, not on the fiberglass hood.
My questions to the OP- are those aftermarket fenders or aftermarket inner fenders? If so, try almost backing out the bolts that point upwards through the inners and see if the fender gaps improve.
all gm parts

Old 04-15-2023, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
wasnt sure what or where he meant to hit stuff to create a gap, just asking for some clarification... the fenders move in/out by hand force with the adjustment bolts loosened, ive never had to hit them with a block of wood & BFH to adjust gaps.
my question was is this a common issue "bumper hump does not line up with the hump in the fender"

Old 04-17-2023, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My take.
1. Always get the door to rear quarter done first. This includes the rocker gap bottom of door.
2. Next is door to fender gap. This will NOT be that good from the factory. This sets the tiny gap you want to the nose/ bumpah.
3. Adjust your hood latch female in hood so it doesn't yank hood sideways when it shuts.
4. Gap at front of hood to bumpah will be more than side gaps to fenders.
5. The different COLORS of parts makes any imperfections Much more noticeable.
6. Every nose I have aligned I have had to block the bumpah to the hood and fenders. Check your front and rear hood bumpers as well.
I use 3m ez sand for bumpah or hood filler to block .

Old 04-20-2023, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
My take.
1. Always get the door to rear quarter done first. This includes the rocker gap bottom of door.
2. Next is door to fender gap. This will NOT be that good from the factory. This sets the tiny gap you want to the nose/ bumpah.
3. Adjust your hood latch female in hood so it doesn't yank hood sideways when it shuts.
4. Gap at front of hood to bumpah will be more than side gaps to fenders.
5. The different COLORS of parts makes any imperfections Much more noticeable.
6. Every nose I have aligned I have had to block the bumpah to the hood and fenders. Check your front and rear hood bumpers as well.
I use 3m ez sand for bumpah or hood filler to block .
this is a photo of the pass side. Bumper ,fender and hood are all original firebird .were they made different in the 4 years
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zcmk.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	611089