Old 04-25-2023, 09:32 AM

Default Headers in 66 full size with column shift

I don’t believe Doug’s makes a set from what I can see. This is a 66 Catalina with the column shift automatic. I guess my options would be to run long branch manifolds or else switch to a floor shift?

Old 04-25-2023, 06:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i'll let you know soon if they fit or not

Old 04-26-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imposter View Post
i'll let you know soon if they fit or not
Thanks. I didn’t have a lot of optimism, but tried a set for a 74 Catalina just because I had them laying around and there was way to much contact with the steering box to make them fit.

Old 05-05-2023, 05:42 PM

I'm about to try a set of Doug's headers in my 66 Bonneville. I test fit them before I pulled the engine and everything seemed to be okay, but now I can't remember if I had the shift linkage in or not. Engine should be back in next weekend so I'll know for sure then.

I'm in the process of figuring out what to do for my exhaust system - Tried Ram Air and they were no help. Thinking I'll start with an A-body and extend as needed to make it work.

Old 05-05-2023, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbrown31 View Post
... or else switch to a floor shift?
Something from Lokar might do the trick? Dunno.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lokar-2-gm-column-cable-shift-linkage-aca-1804.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	612013  

Old 05-07-2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizar View Post
I'm about to try a set of Doug's headers in my 66 Bonneville. I test fit them before I pulled the engine and everything seemed to be okay, but now I can't remember if I had the shift linkage in or not. Engine should be back in next weekend so I'll know for sure then.

I'm in the process of figuring out what to do for my exhaust system - Tried Ram Air and they were no help. Thinking I'll start with an A-body and extend as needed to make it work.
Nice. I’ll look for the follow up update. I’m wanting to get something going, headers preferred, but I could do long branch manifolds if needed because I assume they would fit regardless.

Welded up a new exhaust kit from summit and in a rush I didn’t check the steering clearance all the way side to side, so on a sharp left turn I have contact. Wanting to redo it but I’m waiting until I get my header situation figured out before I jump back into tackling it.

Old 05-07-2023, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Something from Lokar might do the trick? Dunno.

This might actually be exactly what a guy needs. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to kpbrown31 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Are you planning to do dual exhaust? I wanted to come straight off the headers or long tube manifolds and go all the way back with dual exhaust.

Old 05-15-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbrown31 View Post
Are you planning to do dual exhaust? I wanted to come straight off the headers or long tube manifolds and go all the way back with dual exhaust.
Yes, dual exhaust. I know I'm going to have an issue with the transmission crossmember so I probably won't be able to go straight back, but I have seen pictures of people who made it work with an S-curve. You would have to modify your transmission crossmember to go straight back. I think that may be similar with headers but I don't know. If you look at pictures of an A-body transmission crossmember vs. a B-Body you can see the reliefs for the exhaust pipes are spaced differently.

I plan on putting the engine in this weekend and I'll know what I'm dealing with. Bought a Pypes dual exhaust setup for an A-body as a starting point, but I'm not sure if that gained me much since the tailpipes are different.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, dual exhaust. I know I'm going to have an issue with the transmission crossmember so I probably won't be able to go straight back, but I have seen pictures of people who made it work with an S-curve. You would have to modify your transmission crossmember to go straight back. I think that may be similar with headers but I don't know. If you look at pictures of an A-body transmission crossmember vs. a B-Body you can see the reliefs for the exhaust pipes are spaced differently.

I plan on putting the engine in this weekend and I'll know what I'm dealing with. Bought a Pypes dual exhaust setup for an A-body as a starting point, but I'm not sure if that gained me much since the tailpipes are different.
Yeah I actually put new exhaust on mine a few weeks back just to get it running for a car run I help with. Knowing full well I would redo it the right way in the coming months once I knew if headers or long tube manifolds would be my long term choice. I just welded 6” stems onto each stock manifold and went straight back. Which worked “okay” until I got a full car load of people in and it would drag over bumps. So now I’m weighing my options on how I want to tackle the permanent exhaust setup. I know bending to go through the crossmember cutouts will be on my agenda regardless of how I install the rest. I hated losing that extra 1.5” of clearance or whatever it comes out to be.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:09 AM

Got the engine in and headers installed today. I can confirm Doug's Headers D521 do fit a 66 Bonneville with column shift. Worst part of the install was getting the dipstick bent to clear. This is due to Edelbrock heads though more than the Headers. With stock heads I probably would have been fine.

Luckily I had the engine out to get the dipstick tube aligned. I installed the headers after putting the engine in the car. They sit close to the steering gear, but I did not have to modify or clearance anything. I tested everything before pulling the engine and it looked like transmission cooler lines would need to be re routed. I have not checked those yet.

I bought a GTO exhaust as a starting point, but I'm not sure it's going to help much. I did mock up some bends to get past the transmission cross member and think I can make it work, but it will be tight. I'm debating if I should just take the car to an exhaust shop, but it's hard to pass up an opportunity to practice Tig welding a stainless exhaust.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alizar For This Useful Post: