Old 08-03-2011, 09:52 PM

Default Air lift bags for 62 Bonneville

I have a 62 Bonneville 2D HT. It is lowered all around, and the ride is good. I have a problem, when I put a cooler, full tank of gas, luggage, 800lbs of passengers. etc in it, the rear sags down. I ordered some air shocks to level her out when she's loaded down. They wouldn't fit the confines of the frame. So I was going to try some of the helper airbags that go inside the coil. But, as we all know finding a part made for our cars is impossible. Has anyone done this before? If so what part number or application did you use? If no one has done it, I will start making some calls to some companies and see if they can give me a part number based on my actual measured dimensions. We all know when building or modifying non popular cars, sometimes you have to just use what fits.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

read through this thread. Hopefully your answer is in here somewhere.

http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....light=air+bags

patrick

Old 08-04-2011, 12:01 AM

Thanks 65WJ I will look into this further and post up if I find a solution for my car.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Redbeard,

I spotted your post and figured I'd chime in. I did get the airbags installed and managed to get them to work 'some'. I had gotten them to try solving a wheelhop problem I had when I was stomping the gas, but the bags didn't really help in that regard. The biggest problem I found was that they made the car very bouncy with just small amounts of air in them. Also, they never did solve the wheelhop I was experiencing.
I still have them in the car, but have most of the air out of them. The air line routing can be an issue in a few ways. If you get the 2" spacer, then you can drill a hole through the side and route the line through, but then you have to contend with it running in between the spring coils. Run it near your exhaust and you be buying a new air line too. I finally gave up on the things because of the hassle involved, not to mention they didn't help for what I was trying to do. They WILL lift your car, but you may not like the ride with it bouncing around a lot. I tried all kinds of different air pressure, but just couldn't find a point where it was worth the effort.
Others mentioned Firestone airbags in that link. I never did find them. Tried calling Firestone and they weren't too helpful. Another person told me he had success pulling a set off a Grand Marquis (sp?) I had no luck finding those either.
I'd say for your application, you may just consider a new set of springs. You can have a set custom made for your car and the ride height you want AND have the spring rate designed into them. They can set the spring tension as they make them. I got mine from Coil Spring Specialties. went the opposite direction from you though. I had a 2" lift designed into them instead of drop. Give 'em a call and talk with them. They can probably help you out.

http://www.coilsprings.com/

Kevin

Last edited by mviker; 08-04-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:57 AM

Thanks for all the ideas guys. The car is lowered about 3' in the rear with new springs from Eaton Detroit, and trimmed stock coils in front. I love the stance and the way it rides, just hoping for some assistance when I fill the trunk. If I go with heavier springs that would hold the weight, I'm worried it will sit like a stink bug, and ride harsh/bouncy when unladen. I wouldn't run air pressure in them for normal driving, only when loaded, in effect this would only increase the spring rate when I needed it, just enough to level the car back out. I know lots of station wagons,light trucks use airshocks for this purpose. The 1900 mile road trip with about 2" of travel before the bump stops hit was what got me to thinking about this whole ordeal.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not sure why the air shocks won't fit. I used to have a pair of Monroe air shocks on my 62 GP back in the sixties. I towed a travel trailer with it and the rear was pretty low. After installing the air shocks, I could level it right out.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You might want to contact these guys...Race Car Dynamics. There's a guy there named Steve Duck. He was extremely helpful finding the correct shock combo for my GP. I know they sell air shocks. Give Steve your specs and he can probably hook you up with shocks that will accomplish what you're looking to do.
I raised my car 2" and Steve put together a shock package for me that worked in the travel range of my new suspension. Bet he can do the same for you also. I agree with Pontiac62. There are air shocks out there. It's another matter hunting them down, but there should be something.

Here's the link to Race Car Dynamics. Ask for Steve:

http://www.racecardynamics.com/class...hr/indexhr.htm

Kevin

Old 08-06-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac62 View Post
Not sure why the air shocks won't fit.
The body of the air shock was too big in diameter to clear the frame, the airline output would have also hit the frame.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Redbeard,

What about swapping sides so the air lines point towards the center?

Old 08-10-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviker View Post
Redbeard,

What about swapping sides so the air lines point towards the center?
The airline would then be pointing at the spring. I sent them back to Summit for refund, I'm working on plan B.

Old 05-08-2023, 09:53 AM

I know this is an old post, but curious if you found helper air bags for your car. I have a 66 Catalina wagon and this weekend was the first time driving it. 6 people in the car with gear in the back made my car sit much lower. I'm going to buy new springs and maybe I'll try just that first to see if it helps, but I'd also like to consider the air bags. I don't see a direct match for my car either and was just wondering what people may have came up with for an option. I don't know if searching for a 66 Impala would turn up more results and possibly work for my car?

Old 05-08-2023, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Try these guys.

https://eatondetroitspring.com/db/es...+6.4L+-+389cid

Old 05-08-2023, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.ezairride.com/1959-1964-...Kit_p_510.html

I know thats probbaly more of a full four corner options than what you guys are talking about. But this is what I think I am going to go with on my 62 Safari. Listed for a Bonneville but I gotta think it would work for any big car. Very reasonable price for air ride.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 05-09-2023, 11:17 AM

What I ended up doing was I called AirLift. I asked for someone in technical support or engineering. I measured the inside dimensions of my springs at ride height. I told them the measurements. They sent me some bags that would fit. I don't remember what the applications was, it's been many years ago. I ran the lines into holes I drilled in trunk floor. I measure the wheel opening to ground at axle center with no load. Load car and then air up until the car sits back where it was. Usually only 8-10 psi. It helped the ride out a lot when loaded down keeps it off the bump stops.