Old 05-09-2023, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tid bit for interest...

Some of Howards profiles were bought from Harold Brookshire's "Custom Designed Cams" company or designed by him after the sale.
Harold shared on Speed Talk he worked very hard to improve his designs, and what Howard’s has would be superior to the old UltraDyne/Bullet stuff.

Listed here as "Harold Brookshire Designs"

https://www.howardscams.com/sites/de...01-20-2014.pdf

( Not necessarily a recommendation, posted for general information. Personally after Harold's passing I have used Bullet Racing for my solid roller cams with UltraDyne lobes )

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 05-09-2023, 09:28 PM

WOW, pretty cool information, found both my intake and exhaust lobe in that list The Kool-Aid 444 "Long-rod 400" project continues. Now a part of Harold WILL be in it Alot of other people too, including HO Racing from back in the day. Will take pains to not booger my FT break-in. Full break-in on outer only, additional full separate break-in on dual .. isky 5105 dual spring. Any ideas on enhancing breakin procedure would be appreciated. Will get Butler oil pump prime tool. Has forged chromed SCAT crank, Cat H-beam, Ross flat top, Howards 411391-08, KB pins, Rhoads V-Max and likely Elgin full roller, ported 96s Heads still in process.
Have several old cams that appear to be in as new condition. Have learned how to check "taper" on lobes and am setting up to check them and lifters I decide to use with them. Might actually send Rhoads for 444 to Powell Machine to modify once I have my Howards cam measurements.

Old 05-15-2023, 12:43 PM

Just got my Enduro car running. Oil was dark, no water gas smell or grit on stick. Tank(boat tank in trunk) bone dry(good) so put fresh super and cranked, old qjet has never been off the factory 4x 400. Started right up when got gas. Had same lifter tick Ive noticed many times, but has been sitting for many years. Let warm up and as temp goes up tick disappears as always has. Was thinking cam or lifters might need to be replaced, I have several cams. But once warm she sounds very good. 60psi initially let her run for awhile .. temp a little over 200 in gear idles like kitten at 650rpm, solid 30 psi oil pressure ... sounds very sweet with just glasspacks on straight pipes Just like at last race Was alittle low on coolant so will take over with oil change. Bought some German stuff Liqui Moly lifter lube additive for Valvoline 50W change I will do next. Try vs Lucas. 2 PFL1A remote filters in cab so 5-6 qts oil with remote I believe. Factory dipstick to fill line. Really should take off Q and at least clean it put new acc pump and power valve. Same with plugs. I think old Accel.

Old 05-15-2023, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why 50 weight?Tom

Old 05-15-2023, 05:21 PM

Enduro car, only run in summer/fall, engine loose, 300 laps on it, but doesnt smoke still when you whack it, ... really mostly what I have on hand and I like the smell of Valvoline It is the racing one too, supposed to change 500 miles .. supposedly better lubrication. Never delved into the reason why. I like the smell of B+M Trickshift too And Sunoco 260.

Old 06-04-2023, 08:28 AM
Senior Chief

Got a call from Butler....they have cams in stock now.
Even though I cancelled my order and went in a different direction for this year, they were giving me first crack at resuming my order. Very professional of them.