Old 05-25-2023, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Brake drum for 11X2 brakes.

Looking up brake drums specifically for my 1962 Catalina Safari results in slim pickings. Either not available, or over $100 per unit plus shipping.

However, when I just went to Summit and looked up a drum with a 5x5 BP for an 11x2" shoe I quickly found these Bendix units for like $50 each.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work just fine? Or am I missing something. I would think bolt pattern and shoe size are the only things I really care about.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ben-pdr0254

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 05-25-2023 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those fit a 1/2 ton truck, The depth of the drum probably isn't the same from the axle flange to the backing plate.

There is not going to be anyway to tell until you put one of them on the rear axle to see if the distance is close or not. I'm not a betting man, but if I was I'd bet they won't interchange.

If they did it would be listed in a Hollander interchange book, which not to many people have at their fingertips for 62 Pontiacs. If they'd interchange, likely someone on this board would have posted that they could use chevy/GMC drums for full size Pontiacs.

Having worked on both vehicles, I believe the truck drums are much more shallow than the Pontiac drum is, but that is subject to a 70YO memory........LOL

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-25-2023, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So there would be a gap between the back of the drum and the backing plate? Or I guess vice versa the axle in the car would stick out further past the backing plate than a truck.

My rear drums are the worse I’ve ever seen. But I have a hard time spending $200 plus on rear brakes.

Old 05-25-2023, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
So there would be a gap between the back of the drum and the backing plate? Or I guess vice versa the axle in the car would stick out further past the backing plate than a truck.

My rear drums are the worse I’ve ever seen. But I have a hard time spending $200 plus on rear brakes.
Yes, I would say there would be a gap due to the Pontiac axle being further out from the backing plate than the truck axle. The brake shoe sweep area on the two applications would not be close enough, but again that is from memory. If they were the same the drum your looking at would also show up in the parts books for the early B body cars. You can order one and see how close it is, but I really don't think it's going to be very close.

The truck drum looks to be from 73-98 C1500, that's a 2WD 1/2 ton from my recollection. In 99 chevy went to a 6 hole bolt pattern on 2, and 4 WD. Previously the 6 bolt pattern was only on the 4 WD 1/2 ton.

Two applications I can think of that could be closer to what you need would be 71-76 B body 5X5, or 77-85 B body SW only, still had the 5X5 bolt pattern.

Some of the large ford and mercury cars used the 5X5 bolt circle also, who knows if a ford would be close enough to a GM, and if it had 11X2 inch brakes.

You can get a Wilwood disc brake conversion kit from Speedway motors for $830.11.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwo...ds,105224.html

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-25-2023, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess I’ll go pull the drums off my parts car and see if they are better. There are deep gouges in these ones. Like a spring broke in them and got ridden for. A long time.

With these olds cars I like to buy new parts once and it’s good for a lifetime. Like I said though, 200 for a couple drums is steep.

I think I read that starting in 63 the rear drums were 9inches.