Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-25-2023, 04:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Suspension rebuild

OK, it looks like I'm doing a mild suspension rebuild. This started because of a change in front end ride height after a new drivetrain. The front is sitting lower, compounded by the fact that I have a quicktime bellhousing that sticks down lower than stock.

I also have a difference in height from right to left.

Measuring from the ground to the apex of the wheel well (fender) I get 26.25" LF, 26.75" RF, 27" LR and 28" RR. So the car is sitting a little higher on the right.

The main goal is too raise the front. The plan I have is probably total overkill but I don't want to drag this on forever. I want to get it done. So I plan to replace the front and rear springs with stock height replacements from Detroit Spring. I'll add spacers to the front to get it high enough if needed. Hopefully the rear will even out.

Questions I have are should I replace the stock control arm bushings and rear shackles with something like Del-A-Lum bushings? Also, Is there any reason I could not trim the bottom "ring" off the Quick Time bellhousing to gain another inch or so in ground clearance?

Or am I completely off base and need to something totally different altogether ?

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 05-25-2023, 04:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is how the car sits right now.

Old 05-25-2023, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Assuming the current bushings are somewhat worn, you'll probably gain an inch just with new bushings and ball joints. I did a PST poly-graphite kit in my '77 back in the early 90s and gained at least that much, even with the same springs. I've used their products in a couple of my T/As and also in my '67 Cutlass Supreme and been very pleased with the results.

Combine a kit like that with new springs and I think you'll see a nice increase in ground clearance.

What about tire sizes? Can you go any taller there?

Old 05-26-2023, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I modified mine for some additional clearance.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3382D (2).jpeg
Views:	495
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	613264  

Old 05-26-2023, 10:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
I modified mine for some additional clearance.

That's exactly what I was thinking of. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Measurements for ride height should not be taken from the fender arches. They should be taken and fixed points on the frame. Body panels can sag, or be weirdly aligned. I'm not saying that's absolutely, your problem with the uneven ride height, but it is a possibility.

If you want to do the whole thing once, I'd highly suggest looking at the RideTech street Grip kit. It will come with all new bushings for the control arms, springs, shocks, shackles, sway bars etc. It's a very complete package that will still ride very nicely. It is a modest 1" drop over factory and in the event the front needs to come back up a bit further, they offer rubber spring insulators that can gain you back that inch. I really like the composite rear leafsprings in the kit as well. Those are trick and save you almost 70 pounds.

Old 05-26-2023, 11:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Measurements for ride height should not be taken from the fender arches. They should be taken and fixed points on the frame. Body panels can sag, or be weirdly aligned. I'm not saying that's absolutely, your problem with the uneven ride height, but it is a possibility.

If you want to do the whole thing once, I'd highly suggest looking at the RideTech street Grip kit. It will come with all new bushings for the control arms, springs, shocks, shackles, sway bars etc. It's a very complete package that will still ride very nicely. It is a modest 1" drop over factory and in the event the front needs to come back up a bit further, they offer rubber spring insulators that can gain you back that inch. I really like the composite rear leafsprings in the kit as well. Those are trick and save you almost 70 pounds.
Yeah, I remembered that from an earlier thread about this, posted by SteveC,

"Ride height info for 1970 F-body.....

Here are the dimensions from the AMA Specifications for a 1970 ride height. These are height dimensions from the rocker panel to the ground in two places. The forward point on the rocker panel is located 36.3 inches from the front wheel centerline and it is supposed to be 6.5 inches off the ground. The rear point is 16.1 inches from the rear wheel centerline and is supposed to be 5.5 inches off the ground."

I'll take some new measurements check out the RideTech stuff.

Old 05-26-2023, 11:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

& I will be watching as this is my next huge hurdle...good luck!

My headers sit waaaay too low and I'm switching the duals back to transverse. The roads are terrible here - city was built on a swamp...

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingbuzzo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 01:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So here's the plan:

Stock height front coils and rear leafs from Detroit Spring.

KYB gas-a-just shocks. (I'm aware that a lot of people find them on the harsh side but easy to change if I don't like them).

Delrin control arm and rear shackle bushings from RideTech.

Front coil spacers for increased front height, if needed.

And since it's all coming apart anyway, a new set of Wilwood D52 calipers and steel lines on the front.

Old 05-26-2023, 01:50 PM

jhein - I sent you a PM.

Old 05-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
& I will be watching as this is my next huge hurdle...good luck!

My headers sit waaaay too low and I'm switching the duals back to transverse. The roads are terrible here - city was built on a swamp...
Transverse muffler ? What brand???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 05-26-2023, 04:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Undecided...I was going to get the Pypes kit but my mechanic talked me out of it and told me to get bent locally here so I'm sure the muff shop will have their preference.

I'm more interested in ground clearance/price than sound/performance.

Would really like to do the suspension but that kit isn't cheap...jinkies

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 06-30-2023, 08:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The suspension is done. New front coils and rear leafs from Eaton. Delrin bushings from Ridetech and KYB gas-a-just shock. The front came up an amazing 2.25 inches! The rear 1 inch. I would have thought that much in the front would look terrible but I think it looks pretty good. I have only driven it about 35 miles so I can't comment too much but NVH is not a problem. So far it's quieter and smoother. Haven't done any cornering.

First photo how it sits now, and the photo below is before.

Old 07-01-2023, 09:30 AM
Senior Chief

Looks great!

83 Mustang GT sold
The Following User Says Thank You to phil400 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2023, 02:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just a quick follow up on this. I have a few more miles on the car with the new suspension.

It feels much better than before. I've read that people may find the KYB shocks to be harsh. To me, I think the car rides smoother and quieter. Seems to react more quickly. Not harsh at all. Of course, it's not just the shocks, it's also new springs and bushings. I think the Delrin bushings really help the whole suspension move more freely. I'm happy with it.

Old 07-11-2023, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks good!

* sobbing *

I so miss my 70…other than fender arches, pretty much rust free.

Old 07-11-2023, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post

Also, Is there any reason I could not trim the bottom "ring" off the Quick Time bellhousing to gain another inch or so in ground clearance?
If you do any modification to the bellhousing, it voids the SFI certification. That may not matter for your use. It would matter if you need certification for competition or if you decide to sell the bellhousing sometime.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2023, 05:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
If you do any modification to the bellhousing, it voids the SFI certification. That may not matter for your use. It would matter if you need certification for competition or if you decide to sell the bellhousing sometime.

Eric
Good points. Fortunately, those things won't be an issue for me.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
Just a quick follow up on this. I have a few more miles on the car with the new suspension.

It feels much better than before. I've read that people may find the KYB shocks to be harsh. To me, I think the car rides smoother and quieter. Seems to react more quickly. Not harsh at all. Of course, it's not just the shocks, it's also new springs and bushings. I think the Delrin bushings really help the whole suspension move more freely. I'm happy with it.
After replacing polyurethane bushing with Delrin bushing i am sure the Delrin bushings really help the whole suspension move freely. And more precise.