Old 05-29-2023, 02:10 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
Those gauges look smart in there...
Took a bit of modifications to the spacer to make them fit correctly. Pretty sure NVU will incorporate them to a new manual.

They have a lot of options, and my mechanic tested some of them out. They have a peak MPH reading, plus a peak RPM reading as well. When I told him to test drive it like he stole it, he took me literally. Peak MPH 126, peak RPM 6003. LOL

Old 05-29-2023, 04:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

haha...gotta make sure they work somehow

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
The Following User Says Thank You to kingbuzzo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2023, 08:22 PM
Senior Chief

Well, the old 3.55 post gears crapped the bed. Heard an odd noise, thought it was the 2004r. Took it back to the shop, they upgraded the linkages with a kit to make the 2004r downshift properly, and as soon as they punched it, the rear end made a whole bunch of noise.

Put it up on the rack, took off the rear end plate, and four teeth fell out. Oh, so that was that noise?

Ordering 3.73 gears for it now, gonna be another two weeks until I hit nirvana. I wish I wasn't so f**king picky!

Old 07-02-2023, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Picky you say?
Lucky the car was not going at high speed on a crowed high way.
Those broken off teeth could have locked up the rear making it very had to control the car.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 07-02-2023, 10:27 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Picky you say?
Lucky the car was not going at high speed on a crowed high way.
Those broken off teeth could have locked up the rear making it very had to control the car.
The gears had been getting a little louder over time, it was annoying AF. Technically they didn't get to "punch it". There's a hill to climb out of the shop that's two stories tall. Apparently it went out while going up that hill around 5 mph. But, yeah good thing it wasn't on the highway for sure.

Old 07-02-2023, 11:48 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumOne View Post
Thanks very much. The color combo is custom, however. It used to Verdoro Green with a black top, IIRC.

It’s beautiful. Love the white/red combo. I could see a couple of Trans Am style rally stripes in red adorning that hood and trunk and complimenting that interior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-30-2023, 11:02 PM
Senior Chief

There was another setback with the Bird. The 3.55 gears decided to lose a few teeth. Good thing the new carb linkage wasn't being tested for full access to the secondaries! Ordered new Yukon HP 3.73 gears for it. Those are in, now on to test the Holley carb/2004r kickdown linkage, get the AC to work on all the fan speeds, and...I think...it's done. The shop tells me I'll be driving it by the end of the week.

If that's true, I'll have a burnout video to share. WTH, it's only been 18 months since I got to drive it like I stole it! LOL

Old 07-30-2023, 11:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
It’s beautiful. Love the white/red combo. I could see a couple of Trans Am style rally stripes in red adorning that hood and trunk and complimenting that interior
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You know, I seriously considered that, but then I decided less was more for the paint scheme, so I'm leaving it as is...for now.

Old 08-08-2023, 08:57 PM
Senior Chief

Well, the Bird is back. Holley 750 and the 2004r special linkage are working, downshifting on acceleration well, and the new 3.73 gears are nice and quiet compared to my old 3.55's.

The idle is a little high on the carb, though. Take it back in the morning to have that adjusted. The gas was down to less than 1/2 tank so I filled it up, parked it in the garage and tomorrow the real testing begins.

Beware Northern Arizona! LOL

Old 09-20-2023, 10:05 AM
Senior Chief

Sept 20, 2023 update on my Bird.

Had it back for 10 days, punishing everything I could (SOP shakedown cruise stuff).

Got everything fixed (except waiting on the proper AC relay for all fan speeds to work)...New 3.73 gears are quiet, work well. Got the carb dialed in, back to barking the tires at will in 2nd/3rd...haven't gotten out on the highway to see if it will still bark 4th gear.

Peak rpm: 6003
Peak speed: 126

Got every frigging drip/run/etc fixed. One turn of the key, and it fires right up and idles around 1700 in the morning, then goes down to 750 rpm.

Cooling, right around 175-180 degrees.

NVU gauges all work well, clock, Retrosound radio (opt 2) as well. New Wildwood brakes (Dynalite) are amazing, the car really stops well now, just like a new car.

I still have to get the new mirrors on and painted, the windows adjusted to the new weatherstripping, and then....God forbid...I'm done.

Had to do my taxes, turns out I spent $22k on the Bird last year. I haven't mustered the courage to total up the previous 7 years.

After the final fixes are done, I'll post pics.

And now, back to work to pay for this fine running beast!

Jim

Old 09-20-2023, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I never keep a record of how much I spend on a car project. It's a distraction... ; )
Congratulations. Sounds like you have a winner!

Last edited by Greg Reid; 09-20-2023 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:26 PM
Senior Chief

I have to total it up for my NCM insurance to get the limit increased past $60k, so I can't avoid this one. The renewal is in November. I have my 98 TA at $30k, my 04 Corvette at $40k, the 69 Bird is at $60k. Probably going to need it at $80k for replacement cost coverage.

Hell, it's got 672 miles on the rebuilt motor in 18 months. Looking to increase that number ASAP! LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to ScumOne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2023, 04:20 PM
Senior Chief

And it's done, done. 8 years later, all the options work. A lot of upgrades, to say the least. Now I'm on to my next project, our 1998 Trans Am convertible. I appreciate all the help with this, specifically Toms, Bill Baker, and a host of others pitching in with help, suggestions and sources for parts. Thanks to all the members on this forum who chimed in too!

Jim

Old 11-12-2023, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, that is a masterful job. Beautiful car and I love the red top. I vote that you resist the temptation to do red TA stripes. It's perfect as is.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2023, 07:31 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Wow, that is a masterful job. Beautiful car and I love the red top. I vote that you resist the temptation to do red TA stripes. It's perfect as is.
Thanks very much. No worries, I gave up the idea of the stripes awhile back. The new nose emblem from Tim Johns turned out great after painting it, too. I'm leaving it the way it is. And now, finally time to enjoy driving it!