THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-28-2023, 07:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Unlucky, but lucky

Went to a big car show today. Just got home and am pulling into my long gravel driveway. Apparently I have worn down the normal tire ruts. On the way to the garage I heard a loud bang. Gravel or large stone rolled to the center by the mower. Pulled into the garage, shut the car off and went to take the cooler out of the trunk. Long stripe on the driveway, look toward the front of the car. There is a large spreading pool of transmission fluid on the floor. Look under the car, can see the fluid pouring out of the transmission. Garden hose to move the fluid to the floor drain, then some soap and the push broom. Put the front of the car on jack stands, and got the crawler. Looked at the transmission pan. There is a dime sized hole in the front of the pan. That is the bad news. The good news is that it was moving fine under it's own power long enough to get inside the garage. So no damage to the transmission bands. I will be going to Summit Racing for a new pan, filter, and gasket tomorrow. I was probably overdue for changing the transmission filter anyway.

Old 05-28-2023, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Right. Time for a fluid change. Good to have the particulates suspended in the hot fluid when draining. Think you found the easiest way to drain while hot.

Old 05-29-2023, 12:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

dang all the luck

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 05-29-2023, 01:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good news. I dropped the pan. Everything is clean inside. The old pan was an aftermarket deep sump pan with a drain plug. I got the Summit Racing steel pan with a drain plug. It is the same dimensions as a stock pan, so it is 1/4 of an inch shorter than the old one. I think I need that little bit of extra ground clearance. I think the hardest part will be getting all of the transmission fluid off of the garage floor when I can move the car again.

Old 05-29-2023, 06:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All new parts and fluid is in. Drove the car about 10 miles. Everything is good. A little smoke partway through the trip, but I expected that. Let's just say that I do not need to worry about chassis rust for a while.