Old 07-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No one is questioning that it was available in 67. That is commonly known. It is even listed as an option. However, it was never listed as available for 65.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 07-10-2004, 06:00 PM

In response to Stevep if the guy your talking about is Paul I seen the car too. Its a floor shift and radio delete.

Old 07-17-2004, 08:15 AM

While on the subject of weird stuff on 65 models,I saw a 65 Lemans 4 door once in a wrecking yard that had Parrisienne emblems and the seats and door panels looked like corduroy fabric.If someone did install this interior,they did a great job.It looked factory.It had factory A/C and had a tilt wheel and power steering.I believe i remember it having a bench seat.Has anyone ever seen one of these? Was it a Canadian model or just some guys attempt to make a car Pontiac never produced? It sure looked like a real production car.INJUNBOY

Old 07-17-2004, 04:11 PM
Boost Engineer

If it had a 409 engine in it or a BB Chebby
engine in it it most likely was from our brothers in the North!

Saw a very nice dual quad 409 65 lemans type
car on I-401 one night in the early 70s.
BIG CAM!

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:07 AM

Hey guys......I just bought this car last weekend!!!! I thought it was great to find a thread talking about the interior. I was intrigued by it also. I checked all of the paperwork from PHS, dealer sales invoices, window sticker and everything....the car is a legit GTO which has a bucket seat deduct and bench seat addition on the production card from PHS.

Old 07-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys,yes I am referring to Paul Menin.He is a stand up guy.I have known him for MANY years.I would not question what he says.
I also learned something a long time ago:when it comes to what was available in the 60's,NOTHING IS WRITTEN IN STONE!

Old 07-20-2004, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pontiachp:
Hey guys......I just bought this car last weekend!!!! I thought it was great to find a thread talking about the interior. I was intrigued by it also. I checked all of the paperwork from PHS, dealer sales invoices, window sticker and everything....the car is a legit GTO which has a bucket seat deduct and bench seat addition on the production card from PHS. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like to find out if there is an RPO connected to that bucket seat delete, or if it is a special engineering order, or perhaps a zone-ordered car. Was this car built in Pontiac? Is it an early built car, or even a pilot car that may have been intended for design feasability? How original is the car. Can any deductions be drawn from the way these options were installed, or does it look like the interior was restored or modified in the past? It would make more sense to me if it had a '65 interior instead of '64 pieces. Never say never.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:57 AM

The car is in super condition. There are a few things on the body plate that I've never seen before. The car is a PON car. The window sticker and invoice originally spec'd out a power bucket seat. The written dealer invoice for the car had "bench seat" as a spec. The factory production card reflected a "- bucket", "+ bench". The peculiar thing about this notation is that the date on this activity was 2 months after delivery to dealer in Detroit, MI. One conclusion that you can draw from this is that the origianl owner bought the car and did not want the bucket seat and took it back for a bench seat install?? I was told that the owner wanted a bench, not bucket....so maybe he bought the car and Pontiac ordered the parts and retrofitted later for the purchaser?? Could of happened many ways....believe me this is a factory fit interior in superb original condition. I seen a '65 Tempest that has the same type of door panels.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Boost Engineer

Depending on WHO the purchaser was, and (WHO HE KNEW) can have a big impact on this vehicle.

I have seen similar things when I worked for my uncle's Pontiac dealership.

A guy limps in to the dealership in 1971 with a 1969 Judge with a
Ram Air 4 engine: (Aluminum intake and headers on the car).

Deal is the intake is an Edelbrock installed by
the receiving dealer in Chicago and the cast iron round port headers are now tube headers.

I told my uncle the car is modified and no way was the factory going to stand behind that car (it can in with a rod knock).

Boy! Was I wrong!

This guy knew someone!

A Factory rep was sent out by this guy's friend. The rep looked at the car.
I mentioned the aluminum intake and the tube headers. The rep said the
car was sold with an aluminum intake and headers from the factory and
any good lawyer in the country will be able to make GM pay.

The factory sent out a complete long block, I installed it, with the
Edelbrock intake and tube headers and the guy went on his way.

True story!

Tom V.

I firmly believe someone who had connections could get anything he wanted installed (on the factory's tab) by a dealer, including the mentioned
interior (bench seat).

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:08 PM
Senior Chief

Bench seat was ordered in this tripower and column shift 1964 GTO:

https://www.hemmings.com/listing/196...iac-gto-720473

PHS docs confirm the change

The Following User Says Thank You to 65madgoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2023, 02:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is a revelation for sure.
Sort of a shame it has taken such a hit in value with the engine swap.

I'm finding the ID tag from the dealer engine in 1967 to be Very Interesting.
Note the YK code on that tag from the 67 428 - leads to believe it really was a complete crate engine or LongBlock.

Neat car and neat history with it.

Old 02-10-2023, 02:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-pontiac-gto-3/ I think this the 64 that was on bring a trailer in 2016 which shows the phs and the not for the benchseat

The Following User Says Thank You to post toastie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2023, 02:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

wow even has tri power with 2 speed.

Old 02-10-2023, 10:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimtok View Post
I beleive it could happen.

My borther inlaw had a 69 Chevelle SS, four speed on the floor with a bench seat. He knew it was orriginal because his uncle ordered it from the factory that way.

-------------------------------------------
FWIW, in 69 a bench seat was standard in the Chevelle and buckets were optional even on the SS396. The SS396 option did not automatically include buckets.

Another FWIW, in 64/65 the Malibu SS package DID include bucket seats but they could be deleted for a bench seat. A floor shift with a console was included in the Malibu SS package if you also ordered the Powerglide or 4-speed. The standard 3-speed got you a column shift regardless of the seats. If you got the weirdo combination of a bench seat and wanted a 4-speed, you of course did not get a console but the shift was always on the floor. Bench seat and Powerglide got a column shift. The vast, vast majority of 64/65 Malibu SS cars got buckets, consoles, Powerglide or 4-speed.

I also dislike the term "radio delete". Radios were always an option so not getting a radio was just the standard version without an optional radio.

Old 02-10-2023, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good research to find that old Bring a trailer listing.
Gives more insight to how it really lived.

Besides the oddity of bench seat , it was also a Flat Hood Car.
Think one or two others have been documented with Flat Hoods , that actually said Tempest Hood, or to that effect, on their PMD documents.
Suppose that data was involved with its special order bulletin P1934.
Would have been awesome if they had that document too.

The next owner replaced the hood .

Old 02-10-2023, 11:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by post toastie View Post
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-pontiac-gto-3/ I think this the 64 that was on bring a trailer in 2016 which shows the phs and the not for the benchseat
my bad, shows the buildsheet and note for benchseat

Old 02-11-2023, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The passenger side rearview mirror shown on the 2016 BaT listing was a first for me.
It clamps onto the radio antenna.

Auxillary fuel tank from Sears in the trunk is sorta wild too.
Must have been put in during the 1973 oil embargo deal

Old 03-05-2023, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old Goat 67 (Charles Broussard) had a factory bench seat in his 67 GTO but converted to bucket seats years ago. His son Steven has the car now.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.