The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-25-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Harry Samuel Interiors - Out of Business??

I picked up my new '62 Catalina interior at Harry Samuel's place in Beverly Hills, MI a couple of weeks ago. He advised me that he is retiring from the business in January 2008; however, there is a prospective new owner that may be taking it over if the business purchase deal goes through. If it doesn't, the Pontiac community will be losing a great asset.

Harry did a great job for me...new tri-color seat covers, carpet, headliner, kick panels, sun visor re-covered, etc. The workmanship and materials are all first class. Expect to have everything installed in late spring after an engine re-build / tranny replacement.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree that the hobby will lose an asset. However, I tried to buy some vinyl yardage for project I have been toying with (a couple of weeks ago), and he would not sell me any material unless I was going to do the whole interior of my car. Disappointing---to me at least. I understood the reason he gave, but it didn't make any sense to me with him in the "phase out" stage of things.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

last week i received my upholstery for my tri-tone '61 bonneville from him. super nice. all the pieces have been trickling in, just waiting on the door panels.

he has not been taking any new orders for a few weeks now, as he got buried in orders that got placed by people getting it in before he retires at the end of the year. he was uncomfortable about adding on a set of seatbelts to my order, so i passed. i think he wants to wind things down without getting distracted.

i have enjoyed doing business with him. as of last week, he's still talking to people about who is going to buy his stock, but i don't suspect he'll sell to just anybody.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

big bummer as now SMS will be the only game in town.Tom

Old 12-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hopefully the sale will go through and the business will continue - I've always had good luck dealing with Harry in the past. He's in his middle 70s, so it's understandable that he'd like to retire and take it easy.

Old 05-20-2023, 02:05 PM

Found an old seat upholstery sales page for my '64 GP from Harry Samuel among my papers, then found this old thread and the following :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 2.01.56 PM.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	612948  

Old 06-16-2023, 05:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

94 years old. That's a good run. RIP.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From Morgantown, West Virginia. Same age as my father who went to high school there. Will have to check and see if he knew him.