Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 AM

Default new member-need help with rear speakers in a 64

Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I need some help with my 64 Lemans. I have a head unit in my glove box and some 6x9's in boxes in my trunk. Sounds like crap and muffled. I want to mount them in my rear deck but don't want to cut up the rear deck. Any ideas? I have a solid package tray. I guess I don't mind cutting into that but don't want to cut the support under it. I'm sure someone here has done this?

Thanks

Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I put two 6X9's in my '64 back in the day. You do need to cut holes in the sheet metal or settle for one 6X9 in the middle of the rear deck. There is really no downside of cutting holes for speakers here, as this area is always coverd whether by solid cardboard or a mesh package tray. You only need to cut the sheet metal to clear the tweeters and allow enough open area for the low frequencies to pass. If you use the "correct for the period" metal mesh grilles, the installation is pretty much rattle-proof and looks great! As you know, two good 6x9's are the next best thing to a subwoofer installation in a car. The bass is really good with the infinite baffle provided by the trunk space.

IMHO, speaker installation like this is less obtrusive in the rear deck than a modern head unit in the dash. There are so many options that allow hiding the head unit and/or amplifiers if you so choose.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put one in the center and one in the rear defogger spot, had to do some minor cutting but it works. used the center speaker grill that came with car, Chrome music note grill, and used the original defogger grill with some light cloth under it so u can't see the speaker. Sounds good.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 PM

I didn't want to cut any additional holes in the package shelf area so I went with one of those DVC (Dual Voice Coil) speakers which is supposed to give you two-speaker sound in the frame of a single 6x9 speaker. Results: Sounds tinny, not worth it at all. Some of that tinny sound is no doubt caused by the Custom Autosound in-dash AM-FM Cassette deck.
Mike T.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I was in college, I had a 64 Tempest and I cut the dash for a cd player and package tray for 6x9's. I regret it now. I am going to replace both metal panels with some uncut panels from a parts car.

Recently, I installed some 5.25" coax speakers in the air vents behind the kick panels of a 64 Lemans. I did not use the aftermarket kick panels with speakers built in. I just took out the vent flapper and used it as a template to make a mounting plate. There is probably room for a 6x9 but I never tried. This is easily reversible if you ever want to put it back to original.

Back when I was younger, 6x9's in the rear were all the rage. This was before the explosion of aftermarket audio systems. The first thing I learned when I was selling car audio, is you want your sound to be in front of you, not behind. You don't listen to live music with your back turned to it, why listen to your car stereo that way?

Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a convertible - so no rear speaker capability.

I have a pair of these under my front seats:

Custom Autosound "Undercover II's"...

Old 01-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my '64, I have a single 6x9 in the center of the package tray, and a speaker in the stock position in the dash. It does okay.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here are some pics I took when I was working on the speaker install. The general rule of thumb for front mounted speakers is to be as far forward as possible. This allows the speakers to be as equidistant from your ears as possible. Translation? better stereo imaging. Door mounted speakers put the drivers side speaker even closer to your left ear, making it harder to compensate with the balance control. Another tuning method is time delay. We also sense the direction of sound by the difference in arrival times to our left and right ears. I had a stereo that had the time delay function built into it and I could compensate for the position of the speakers with delay and level controls. The end result was vocals in the playback sounded like they were coming from the center of the dash, (even though there was no speaker mounted there) and better overall sound stage and presence.

Old 02-28-2023, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I have a convertible - so no rear speaker capability.

I have a pair of these under my front seats:

Custom Autosound "Undercover II's"...
How do they sound?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project