Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Terrible Service

Terrible service. Absolutely terrible.

I placed an order about two weeks ago. Took longer than normal but I figured they might be short staffed and we did have the storm. Still haven’t seen anything so I called yesterday. Sat on hold for about 15 min I guess before it hung up on me.

I called back today and they told me the order never left and they didn’t know why. I said that’s fine, these things happen I just needed them to second day it (I did not ask for next day) because the car is taking up a spot in my buddies shop and I need to get it out of there. They say no problem.

They also said they were not open yesterday- maybe put that on the voicemail next time so your customers don’t waste their time.

They call me back and say that the second day shipment was going to be $240 and they were willing to cover $100 of it. Now I have already spent $100 in shipping that was never used. So they want me to cover the difference.

I don’t know if I am paying $40 or $140 (I think $40) but I shouldn’t be paying anything since it was their fault the order did not ship two weeks ago even when I paid their oversize shipping fee (twice! They charge it per item).

So I told the customer service rep that I have been buying from Ames since high school. They get 90% of my business. That’s 32 years of loyalty. I asked what my average order was and she said it was about $500, maybe $1000. So I asked her if she was willing to lose a customer of 32 years for less than 10% of one of my orders. She said yes that’s what they were doing so here we are…..

Guess I will start looking at other vendors.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The same attitude has forced me to buy elsewhere. The last straw was a couple of months ago, when I had a problem with a recently purchased w/s washer pump they would not make good on. So I told the guy who handles my parts ordering to shop Eckler's, Parts Place and NPD. I haven't had a problem with those companies that wasn't handled to my satisfaction.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:34 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Terrible service. Absolutely terrible.

I placed an order about two weeks ago. Took longer than normal but I figured they might be short staffed and we did have the storm. Still haven’t seen anything so I called yesterday. Sat on hold for about 15 min I guess before it hung up on me.

I called back today and they told me the order never left and they didn’t know why. I said that’s fine, these things happen I just needed them to second day it (I did not ask for next day) because the car is taking up a spot in my buddies shop and I need to get it out of there. They say no problem.

They also said they were not open yesterday- maybe put that on the voicemail next time so your customers don’t waste their time.

They call me back and say that the second day shipment was going to be $240 and they were willing to cover $100 of it. Now I have already spent $100 in shipping that was never used. So they want me to cover the difference.

I don’t know if I am paying $40 or $140 (I think $40) but I shouldn’t be paying anything since it was their fault the order did not ship two weeks ago even when I paid their oversize shipping fee (twice! They charge it per item).

So I told the customer service rep that I have been buying from Ames since high school. They get 90% of my business. That’s 32 years of loyalty. I asked what my average order was and she said it was about $500, maybe $1000. So I asked her if she was willing to lose a customer of 32 years for less than 10% of one of my orders. She said yes that’s what they were doing so here we are…..

Guess I will start looking at other vendors.
1965gp, I apologize for the dissatisfaction with this order. We absolutely dropped the ball originally, that is not a common occurrence or how we operate. In standard practice, we will cover the base shipping and anything beyond that is the customer's responsibility. This situation was different. After your rep spoke with the owner Kevin, they came to a resolution; we wanted to take care of 2nd day air shipping at no extra cost to you. The package is currently in transit and scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'm sure this must've been resolved after the thread was created. I hope this clears up any discrepancies or bad blood that might've been. Thank you very much for your business and we hope to hear from you soon.

Kyler @ Ames

Old 12-28-2022, 09:36 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
The same attitude has forced me to buy elsewhere. The last straw was a couple of months ago, when I had a problem with a recently purchased w/s washer pump they would not make good on. So I told the guy who handles my parts ordering to shop Eckler's, Parts Place and NPD. I haven't had a problem with those companies that wasn't handled to my satisfaction.
Can you please email me your situation? I would love to look into this further.

Kyler @ Ames
(800)421-2637
kyler@amesperf.com

Old 12-28-2022, 01:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes Kyler, thank you. I did receive a call saying that they were going to cover the difference and it is appreciated.

My question is how did it get to that point? I mean the customer service rep (Heather I think) was very nice and called me back saying that she was told I needed to pay the difference. It’s not her fault- I am sure she has parameters on what she can and cannot do. However, someone made that decision.

If I would have asked for next day air at $400 I can see them asking to split it. But I didn’t- the car is taking up a bay at a shop costing them (and now me) money- I need to get it out of there.

I really appreciate you looking into it, but I would urge Ames to start looking at a situation before deciding on the resolution. How many PY members have just paid the shipping? Would I have had to pay the shipping if I didn’t post about it? This post could have been completely different- I could be raving on here about the fact that there was an error and Ames was willing to ship it 2nd day to get me out of a bind. For a $40 difference that Ames ended up paying anyway I could be talking about how great the customer service is.

Please treat us the way you would like to be treated when ordering something that you are passionate about.

Old 12-28-2022, 03:22 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Yes Kyler, thank you. I did receive a call saying that they were going to cover the difference and it is appreciated.

My question is how did it get to that point? I mean the customer service rep (Heather I think) was very nice and called me back saying that she was told I needed to pay the difference. It’s not her fault- I am sure she has parameters on what she can and cannot do. However, someone made that decision.

If I would have asked for next day air at $400 I can see them asking to split it. But I didn’t- the car is taking up a bay at a shop costing them (and now me) money- I need to get it out of there.

I really appreciate you looking into it, but I would urge Ames to start looking at a situation before deciding on the resolution. How many PY members have just paid the shipping? Would I have had to pay the shipping if I didn’t post about it? This post could have been completely different- I could be raving on here about the fact that there was an error and Ames was willing to ship it 2nd day to get me out of a bind. For a $40 difference that Ames ended up paying anyway I could be talking about how great the customer service is.

Please treat us the way you would like to be treated when ordering something that you are passionate about.
We're sorry for any misunderstanding. Originally we were going to cover $100 of 2nd day air, the sales rep relayed this incorrectly. In the average situation where such an amount of time is not in play, we would cover the base shipping cost; anything beyond that would be the customers responsibility. This was not one of those "normal" situations. Because of your situation, we made the final decision to cover the entire difference of 2nd day air ($140). This decision was made before a PY thread was created or seen by our staff.

Thank you,
Kyler @ Ames

Last edited by AMES-TECH; 12-28-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

She relayed it to me exactly as you did- that they were going to cover $100 of it. It was the extra $40 that got me.