Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 02-27-2023, 09:40 PM

Default Mass Backed carpet

Searched old threads and didn't see much...has anyone had experience with the ACC mass backed carpet vs the non? Curious if it's worth the extra $$$. Searching elsewhere online I see people mentioning it molds down better?

Old 02-27-2023, 09:47 PM
Senior Chief

For me, the mass backed feels like better quality, but in the end I didn’t notice much difference in sound reduction or any improvement in how it looks once it was installed in the car.

Old 02-28-2023, 05:58 PM

I considered the mass-backed for my 63 wagon, but the guidance I got from our host was to stay with the molded carpets because I had a console.

The molded carpets fit very well!

James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
Old 02-28-2023, 11:37 PM
Senior Chief

My last 3 have been ACC mass-backed. I just like the way it lays better. I’m also lazy and don’t want the hassle of the dynamat even though I use it in other places. It does take a little extra work with consoles I’d agree with that.

Old 03-01-2023, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy11 View Post
My last 3 have been ACC mass-backed. I just like the way it lays better. I’m also lazy and don’t want the hassle of the dynamat even though I use it in other places. It does take a little extra work with consoles I’d agree with that.
Yeah I was actually planning to still lay a generic dynamat type liner down so that I’d have something adhered to the floor pans and possibly prevent some rattling noise. But maybe that’s overkill.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:43 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbrown31 View Post
Yeah I was actually planning to still lay a generic dynamat type liner down so that I’d have something adhered to the floor pans and possibly prevent some rattling noise. But maybe that’s overkill.
You could probably get away with doing that in some places but in others maybe it would be too much? Going from the OE carpet to the backed seemed to make a sound difference to me in the past (haven’t hit the road yet in my current ‘68), but I’ve honestly never done a complete Dynamat floor to compare. I was going to do the flat foot well areas in this car with the generic Dynamat stuff I use but in hindsight it might have raised things enough to make the hump/console area fit slightly off.

Maybe I just decided against it because I knew my OCD would make it impossible to do just “some areas”. Haha