Old 04-04-2023, 02:46 PM

Default new carpet

I removed original carpet in my '74 and found a small hole and when vacuuming it out a good bit of the seam sealer came out reveling the original red oxide primer (around and over the plugs and along right side of floor board). Should I replace this seam sealer? and with what? probably fill the hole with jb weld or seam sealer if I get any. Weird spot for a hole when there is so many lower spots for water to lay. This is pass side, driver side had sum surface rust but no holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pass rear.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	610132   Click image for larger version

Name:	pass front.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	610133   Click image for larger version

Name:	pass hole.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	610134  

Old 04-04-2023, 11:29 PM

Well, I primed the rusty areas with rusty metal primer after wire brush and brake cleaner. If you do this don't apply primer to any existing factory seam sealer, it does not dry, weird but it doesn't. I don't see why silicone won't work where the seam sealer came off. I thought about wiping down the entire floor and painting it but after seeing the reaction to the seam sealer prob just leave it. I don't drive in the rain and no water leaks in, heck I don't even wash it with water. Its solid everywhere but the one hole that I removed all rust from and still can't fit the tip of my pinky finger in. maybe spot weld it but prob just fill it cause I already primed it. They just used SO much seam sealer its stupid.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I personally would close it up;
I think it's common for the older tar sealer to dry up - I would pick at any surrounding loose material, ore replace all of it around that plug.

I would suggest using a tar type product (you might find it in the roofing section of a 'Home Depot' ect) - but maybe someone will chime in with the perfect replacement material.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 04-05-2023, 09:05 PM

I got all the lose stuff out, it was dry. I could spend hours getting it all out, but for what? Its a driver and i will hopefully never see it again once carpet is in. I primed the surface rust, who knows what this car was exposed to before i got it in 2015. So i am pleased with what i found, i know it will never see snow or salt or rain or car washes or wet feet or spilled drinks in my ownership. My last bird was an arizona car brought to pa to sit outside with leaky tee tops for years and the boards were very bad once i wire wheeled them, ended up replacing entire floor, that was a 40hr plus job, messaging the replacement board due to board for converter hump not being availabe at the time. not a fan of tar based stuff. probably just run a bead of silicone in joints and be done.