Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-10-2023, 05:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Which 1.25" sway bar brackets / bushings / Links?

My 68 clone wagon has a broken sway bar bracket on one side, so I'm going to replace all of the bushings / brackets and links. Fortunately nothing is rusty, so got it apart in about 15 minutes. It already has a 1 .25" sway bar, which probably contributed to the broken bracket as it ripped apart right by one of the bolt holes.

Any recommendations on which set to buy? The car is running redline radial tires and I drive it like an old Grandpa.........(with a lead foot). Just ordinary street driving with a little bit of fun. Not sure if it should get rubber or polyurethane. I haven't seen rubber bushings that size listed for my car, but I suppose they are out there.

Thanks
Old Joe

68 GTO Clone (Tempest) Wagon
Old 04-11-2023, 08:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I tried poly bushings at first and is was a harsh ride. Then back to rubber bushings for comfort.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 Lemans View Post
I tried poly bushings at first and is was a harsh ride. Then back to rubber bushings for comfort.
Was it just poly bushings on the sway bar that you swapped back to rubber, or were you swapping the body bushings too?

Also, if your sway bar was a large diameter, where did you get the rubber bushings?

Thanks
Old Joe

Old 04-11-2023, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 1.25" T/A bar and a WS6 steering box on my GTO. Honestly, a couple of the best mods I've ever done to my car. I used Energy Suspension links, brackets etc. No issues and it's been 15+ years.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-11-2023, 12:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I have a 1.25" T/A bar and a WS6 steering box on my GTO. Honestly, a couple of the best mods I've ever done to my car. I used Energy Suspension links, brackets etc. No issues and it's been 15+ years.
Did you go with the greaseable energy supension bushings that have the zerk fittings on the brackets or not? I think those are more of a recent invention, but maybe not.

Since you brought it up, I'm going to replace my gearbox eventually. What year gearbox did you use and were there any issues with the stops? I've got a 76 TA box laying around that I was thinking about using but other folks have said it's better to just have the original rebuilt to a better ratio.

Thanks for the input

Old 04-12-2023, 05:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobird View Post
Was it just poly bushings on the sway bar that you swapped back to rubber, or were you swapping the body bushings too?

Also, if your sway bar was a large diameter, where did you get the rubber bushings?

Thanks
Old Joe
It was just sway bar bushings and not body bushings. Ordered the front 1 1/4 kit with poly bushings from Ames and then got the rubber bushings from them later also.

Old 04-13-2023, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobird View Post
Did you go with the greaseable energy supension bushings that have the zerk fittings on the brackets or not? I think those are more of a recent invention, but maybe not.

Since you brought it up, I'm going to replace my gearbox eventually. What year gearbox did you use and were there any issues with the stops? I've got a 76 TA box laying around that I was thinking about using but other folks have said it's better to just have the original rebuilt to a better ratio.

Thanks for the input

My sway bar bushing brackets do have the zerk. My steering box and sway bar are from a 1978 model T/A. I had the box rebuilt by a place named Power Steering Services. (I believe since closed). They took the Firebird stops out as part of whatever they did. Talk to whomever is going to rebuild your box and I'm sure they can coach you. If your original box can be updated to whatever ratio suits you, I'd consider that.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.