Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 04-10-2023, 05:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default newish headliner starting to fall...

Hi fellas:

The headliner in my 74 TA was replaced about ten years ago by the previous owner.

It still looks new to me however it is starting to fall behind the drivers head in the back corner/window area.

- does the entire headliner have to come-out again?
- if so, can the material be re-used or will a new kit be required?
- is the substrate falling apart behind the headliner or what would cause this - I don't think this car has the bar-type
- watching another thread for install costs but if this can be repaired would it be under 1g labor?

I heard there is a "one-piece" type of headliner that doesn't need glue or substrate. Is that a worthwhile investment in my case?

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2023, 08:40 PM

Hi Going through this myself with two cars. Either the glue or the foam backing is letting go. Entire healiner will have to be removed and the cardboard backer cleaned of all foam. Quality glue like Weldwood landau and trim high temp adhesive should be used. Bought new headliner material from our sponsor Ames. Looks to be good quality. Barry

Old 04-10-2023, 11:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can the exterior material be re-used though or am I basically sharting over?

Thanks

Old 04-10-2023, 11:43 PM

The foam is bonded to the material when it comes from Ames.

Old 04-11-2023, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
Can the exterior material be re-used though or am I basically sharting over?

Thanks
74 should be the perforated foam on a cardboard backer. if the material is falling off the backer the foam has deteriorated &/or the glue has failed, since the glue sticks to the foam.

you can remove or loosen all the trim around that area & pull down the area thats hanging down, clean all the loose foam then spray some 3m spray adhesive or other brand following instructions on the can, then reattach the material to the backer. it will look flatter in that area since the foam is gone but will stay stuck for a long time if you just want to fix it for now until you can re-do the headliner.

they do sell 1 piece ABS backed headliners now for decent prices that can be installed yourself with a helper or pay a shop to do it, should not be anywhere near $1k to do that work, should only take a couple hours at the most based on whatever they charge for labor rates.

the best option is to buy new headliner material from many sources, then install to the original cardboard backer if its in good shape. easy to remove it then scrape off the old foam & reglue the new material. these headliners are a pretty basic install, just reverse the steps for removal with a helper to hold it up while you install the trim & dome light.

Old 04-11-2023, 12:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I will try that that re-glue work-a-round - I've got nothing to lose!

It looks great otherwise.

Yes, that one piece toupee seems to be the way to go!

Thanks

Old 04-13-2023, 03:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I heard there is a "one-piece" type of headliner that doesn't need glue or substrate. Is that a worthwhile investment in my case?
I've replaced mine twice in 20 years - once way back when the car was originally restored and again recently. The first replacement held up well and the only reason I think it failed was the heat/humidity in the shipping container.

The perforated material is foam backed and that is then glued to the one peice backing board. Over time the foam separates from the vinyl and the headliner sags. At that point the material really cant be salvaged. The best option is to remove the headliner, strip away the old material (and any remnants of the foam) and glue on new material.

That assumes your backing board is OK and doesn't fall apart when you remove it. That's what happened with mine the first time round and I had to purchase a repro (ABS) backing board. The second time I was able to buy the foam backed material and re-use the backing board.

It's a pretty easy removal and replacement process - visors out, seat belts out (at the roof), dome light out, sail panels out then all of the trim peices that surround the headliner (front, rear and both sides).

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 04-13-2023, 04:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That sounds terrible...lol

I had no idea they fell down so often...must be an old adage...what goes up must come down

I'm going to look into gluing it for now as it is only that one spot.

Failing that who makes the best quality kit? I buy most of my junk from classic industries but I understand they are frowned upon.

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2023, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That sounds terrible...lol

I had no idea they fell down so often...must be an old adage...what goes up must come down

I'm going to look into gluing it for now as it is only that one spot.

Failing that who makes the best quality kit? I buy most of my junk from classic industries but I understand they are frowned upon.

Thanks!
most places are just resellers of the same brands like OER, PUI etc. for the 1 piece ABS backer headliner most are made by PUI, so just shop for the best price. for the foam backed material, pretty sure thats the same from most sellers too.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used 3 M 25 years ago, still perfect.
If he painted it that can cause it to let go too.
Yes classic blows.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 04-13-2023, 10:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have some 3m spay adhesive in stock.

This doesn't look painted...looks new!

Old 03-08-2024, 05:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default TMI tmi...

Has anyone tried this TMI one piece hairpiece?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tip-s65554

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 03-11-2024, 01:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default headliner material...

How do you decifer what the original headliner was like?

Would it be the standard black perforated for mine and would the cowl tag say or the full PHS?

Also, do you like this one?

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/hlb01.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0[26863].jpg
Views:	21
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	630204  

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 03-11-2024, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
How do you decifer what the original headliner was like?

Would it be the standard black perforated for mine and would the cowl tag say or the full PHS?

Also, do you like this one?

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/hlb01.html
A 74 firebird would have the perforated vinyl, pre 73 used the bow type headliner, at least for 2nd gen firebirds. Cowl tag wont show any details on the headliner & neither will PHS from what I recall seeing in my 3 PHS packets, unless headliner is related to standard or custom interiors.

Never seen the TMI headliner, er hairpiece, but that price seems rather high for a 1 piece with perforated vinyl, unless they redesigned the ABS backer theres really no difference in the foam backed vinyl material to justify that price IMO.

Based on your initial post saying the headliner looks new to you buty sagging a little, I would just try some 3M adhesive to reattach it, or if the backer is good, save a bunch of $$ and just buy the foam backed vinyl and glue it on yourself.

Old 03-11-2024, 02:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks 78w72

So in my case if the interior is all black she probably had the black perforated?

How do you like that classic industries unit?

Yes, I may just end up glueing this one for now as all the front end pieces I need is going to blow my budget anyways.

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 03-11-2024, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im pretty sure it should have been the perforated vinyl originally, there may have been a cloth material too since I have seen quite a few firebirds & camaros with that but not sure if its was original.

The CI unit looks like just the standard PUI headliner you can buy anywhere, probably cheaper at summit. I bought the PUI 1 piece perf vinyl from summit a few years ago for my 72 firebird and they had the best price, i ordered it without the seat belt cutouts though since 70-72 didnt have the belts mounted there.

If yours is in decent shape I would re glue it or replace just the vinyl if/when needed. I did that on a T-top 81 using the original cardboard backer.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, my old tuxedo 74 TA had an off-white cloth headliner which I haven't seen since

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
The Following User Says Thank You to kingbuzzo For This Useful Post: