Old 04-16-2023, 01:39 PM

Default Best Car Cover Setup

I'm getting my car back from paint/body in a few weeks. My long-term storage situation is bad. I have an uncovered driveway, but not a garage, it's humid and constantly raining, and there's a multi-year road construction project on my street, so lots of dust and dirt. I will be paying for a spot in a climate-controlled collector car facility at some point, but I will also need to store the car in my driveway while the rebuild is completed (and occasionally when I have it out of storage going to shows, etc). My paint and body guy said don't put a cover on it; the moisture will kill the paint. But...with all of the construction, it's just going to get covered in dirt and dust, which will scratch the hell out of the paint.

I'm trying to find a compromise for when I have it in the driveway. I was thinking one of those plastic covers for moisture barrier and then a good padded outdoor cover for UV and physical protection. I'm worried that the tropical humidity will still keep moisture under the plastic cover, though. Thoughts? And any recommendations on a good outdoor cover?

Old 04-16-2023, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm no expert on the subject but plastic doesn't sound right to me if you're trying to keep something dry in humidity. I would think a breathable car cover would be better. I live on a dirt road which is always Dusty in the summer so I feel your pain.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 04-16-2023 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't skimp on a car cover! Most people like California Car Covers...expensive but high quality.

Old 04-16-2023, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I actually need one myself. My car gets a coat of dust just sitting in the garage.

Old 04-16-2023, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Moisture will collect under a plastic cover and damage the paint when heated up. I ruined the paint on my 73 Nova when I used a plastic cover. And this was in the SoCal desert

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I'm no expert on the subject but plastic doesn't sound right to me if you're trying to keep something dry in humidity. I would think a breathable car cover would be better. I live on a dirt road which is always Dusty in the summer so I feel your pain.
I know, but from June to September it rains 3x per day. It's just a bad combination of factors. Trying to figure out the least terrible option.

Old 04-16-2023, 03:16 PM

I think in your environment I'd leave it uncovered - yes, dirt and dust will collect on the surface, but it isn't going to scratch the paint if you don't rub it around. Just be careful when washing it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2023, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The dust isn't going to be that big of a problem with that much rain. Just make sure you have no leaks whatsoever. If you see water in the trunk or have wet carpet track the leak down and fix it ASAP.
I usually just dust my car with a feather wand or similar and occasionally I wet the car with a hose and squeegee the water with a California Blade. Which one depends on the amount and type of dust.
Like Stuart says, just don't rub it in.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2023, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Boy, poor planning on your part. A new and probably very expensive paint job and keeping it outside in a humid environment. Find a place to keep it while finishing it and QUICK.
But in the meantime, California car covers has a very nice layered cover made for outdoors. It is expensive ,but worth it. Pennies compared to paint and body

Old 04-16-2023, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why not just build a quick garage for it? Drill down put some lag bolts into the asphalt w epoxy, lag some boards down and frame some walls, drop some pre made trusses on top and call it day But if you can’t do that I’d use one of this new storage ready shipping containers with the side a full door

. http://www.abccontainers.com.au/cont...ensions/20gp-0

Or you can always do what I did and buy a 26 ft enclosed car trailer and put the car inside it . I’d have bought that before the body and paint but it’s done now I’d protect it

If those are too expensive for options they have plastic bubbles w fans for indoor or outdoor storage .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DE679CAF-30DA-454E-A62D-F9A87A58B41D.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	610831   Click image for larger version

Name:	0B327802-57A2-4A91-89CB-5A51A209B19B.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	610832  

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo69bird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2023, 05:10 PM

I have used a variety of covers outside on my car the weather shield hp was the best one about 400 bucks.

Old 04-16-2023, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used many car covers over the years. Some very expensive. Some cheap. One of the best I have found is "Motor Trend" brand covers. They are reasonably priced because they come in just several sizes but the one I bought was very well made and effective.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
Why not just build a quick garage for it? Drill down put some lag bolts into the asphalt w epoxy, lag some boards down and frame some walls, drop some pre made trusses on top and call it day But if you can’t do that I’d use one of this new storage ready shipping containers with the side a full door

. http://www.abccontainers.com.au/cont...ensions/20gp-0

Or you can always do what I did and buy a 26 ft enclosed car trailer and put the car inside it . I’d have bought that before the body and paint but it’s done now I’d protect it

If those are too expensive for options they have plastic bubbles w fans for indoor or outdoor storage .
Wish I had the space. City living, unfortunately.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
The dust isn't going to be that big of a problem with that much rain. Just make sure you have no leaks whatsoever. If you see water in the trunk or have wet carpet track the leak down and fix it ASAP.
I usually just dust my car with a feather wand or similar and occasionally I wet the car with a hose and squeegee the water with a California Blade. Which one depends on the amount and type of dust.
Like Stuart says, just don't rub it in.
Think this is going to have to be the way I go. Gonna have to go watch a million youtube videos on detailing to make sure I don't wash it wrong.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What about a shelter logic portable garage?

Old 04-17-2023, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like this car cover, it’s from a Pontiac Dealership, and a garage with heat and AC is the best thing. Rotors don’t rust over the winter, I keep a t top off so the interior can breathe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	515C6820-4D12-49F2-8FCC-94AA030B3F39.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	610853  

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱

Last edited by burd; 04-17-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that still available burd?

Old 04-17-2023, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1. Just painted cars need about 6 months to " off gas" BEFORE you use any polish or wax.
2. In the meantime, make sure your rocker panel is lower in the rear for proper drainage, and would be best to put car up on blocks or fixed ramps so air can get under it and help keep and evaporation from condensing under the car.
3. When you do have a dry day. Run a fan under the car..
4. After 6 months, polish car with a polisher, and then use a graphene ceramic coating on the car. Water is Scared of this stuff and has great UV Protection. Lasts many years.

Old 04-19-2023, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a 99% waterproof cover from California Car Covers. It was breathable and thin for a 1980 Fiat Spider vert I had. I had to put it outside while I did a frame off on my 72 Lemans vert. It worked well. When it rained, it shed most of the water and dried quickly afterward.