Old 04-19-2023, 05:29 PM

Default 64 GTO Convertible door glass seals

Finishing up complete frame off 64 GTO Convertible for a buddy. 455/Tri-Power/4 speed Super T10, all new UMI 2" lowered suspension, Vintage Air, Nu Relics power windows, the list goes on. Here's my issue. After reinstalling the glass with new parts, the door glass will not roll all the way up. I did a little tweaking and backed off the pinch screw by the vent window and got the Driver glass to co-operate, not so with the Passenger side unless I remove the inner glass door to glass seal. I have adjusted everything 6 ways to Sunday and tried tweaking the inner lip to try and allow more space, no good. Even with the pinch screw loose I cannot get the glass to go up the last needed 3/8" or so with the seal in place. Anyone have a cure? The strips are Repops and also had another brand, they appear the same. I'm thinking of paring them down to just what it needed and with the window up use bonding adhesive to keep them in place. Not sure if that's a viable fix. Thanks if anyone has a solution.

Old 04-30-2023, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had the same problem with my 64 convertible. It's a known issue with the aftermarket window sweeps not fitting correctly. I don't have an easy answer other than try to center the glass between the inner and out sweeps the best that you can. I spent so much time and frustration trying to get the windows to roll up that it was ridiculous. Mangled the first set of sweeps and nearly the second set before i was able to come to a reasonable compromise. The window issue bugs me so much that I'm selling the car next week. I'll stick with my 66 GTO.
I suggest that you use the search function for this section using the words "sweeps" or "glass fuzzies", should turn up some information. Here's one:https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ghlight=sweeps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E0AFB999-5E40-4833-9670-847554EE2ECE.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	611705  

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg

Last edited by Singleton; 04-30-2023 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:09 PM

Re-Pop makes the best reproductions. With that being said, you still have to finesse. I attach the felt to the door belt Moulding and then utilize a 60-grit flat wheel on a die grinder to smooth the raised metal portion in the seal. This sounds borderline hillbilly, but I assure you the windows will work as they should. Be patient and go slow. If you are not worried about the correctness. The 65 units are a "fuzzy" and not a rubber material. I have found them to be easier to install with little to no altering. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2023, 04:39 PM
Senior Chief

Doing my 65 to a fairly high level I bought the best version of the RePops and after days of trying to make that junk work, I dug my 55 year old originals out of the trash and put them back on.