Old 04-25-2023, 08:25 AM

Default H-O Racing Specialties rear mounted battery bucket

Hey gang,

Scored this curio that I plan on putting into my Fire Am. It used to have a VSE rear mounted battery kit in the back which would've exploded/leaked or something back in the 90's which splattered all over the boot floor and caused it to rust. I think that system used to just be a metal tray bolted to the floor in the boot pan. I love the look of this H-O battery bucket, and it matches the paint and interior of the car, and would love to install it. It actually came out of the trunk of another 1979 T/A, but I don't actually get how this is supposed to be mounted? There's no holes or brackets to affix it onto the floor. How did they mount these? Is there something else missing? I don't reallllllllllly wanna drill holes into it to mount it to the boot floor, but not sure how else to do it.

Old 04-25-2023, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like the one they use in boats.

Old 05-03-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygto65 View Post
Looks like the one they use in boats.
Exactly what I was thinking. My dad’s trawling motor battery is in a case just like that, strap and all.

I’m no expert on this but you could fab up some aluminum plates that fit into the bottom of the box, and bolt thru the trunk floor.

Or buy something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Billet...s%2C213&sr=8-4

And bolt that thru the box and floor.

Old 05-03-2023, 03:16 PM

H-O may have sold those but it’s simply a widely available for the time marine battery box with a sticker slapped on it.

Old 05-03-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthe222 View Post
Hey gang,

Scored this curio that I plan on putting into my Fire Am. It used to have a VSE rear mounted battery kit in the back which would've exploded/leaked or something back in the 90's which splattered all over the boot floor and caused it to rust. I think that system used to just be a metal tray bolted to the floor in the boot pan. I love the look of this H-O battery bucket, and it matches the paint and interior of the car, and would love to install it. It actually came out of the trunk of another 1979 T/A, but I don't actually get how this is supposed to be mounted? There's no holes or brackets to affix it onto the floor. How did they mount these? Is there something else missing? I don't reallllllllllly wanna drill holes into it to mount it to the boot floor, but not sure how else to do it.

This is the original rear battery box from an H-O car a bit crusty but these are the brackets that came attached to it the box and top colors are reversed and the strap is the original as well. As said these were widely available back in the day, in this case they used Aluminum L pieces and very , very short screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230503_211440715.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	611888  

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Hopefully to be restored, H-"O" Racing 73 Trans Am SD 4 speed,
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post

Last edited by 455dan; 05-03-2023 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455dan View Post
This is the original rear battery box from an H-O car a bit crusty but these are the brackets that came attached to it the box and top colors are reversed and the strap is the original as well. As said these were widely available back in the day, in this case they used Aluminum L pieces and very , very short screws.
Hey that's perfect! Exactly what I needed to see. Wasn't excited about drilling holes into it, but that's what they've done there. Strap and everything, go figure! Colours look the same, no? Is that one just super faded and corroded? Looks red inside. I'll just fab something up at a local hardware store.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My HO Racing battery box experience

By late '81 i had added a set of 255-60R15 Wingfoots & the slightly longer VSE shackles to my lightly modded 80 Turbo SE. Also, a pair of Koni front shocks & Comp Elim bolt-in sub connectors, The last addition for '81 was a custom adj 150 shot nitrous system with the large 20lb bottle. The big bottle & the one bracket that secured the bottle towards the front added 54lbs above the right trunk ledge. Going into Jan of '82, I began to put together a trunk mounted battery setup using an HO Racing boat box.

Similar to mounting the big bottle on the right hand trunk ledge, there was room to mount the boat box on the drivers side trunk ledge. That positioning was a must, as occasionally I tucked the t-tops in the trunk up against the space saver. The trunk was then full. On the trunk mounted battery install, I installed the original Delco HD side terminal battery in the HO box with both wire leads attached. In order to have enough slack the positive lead was not hooked up to the starter but pulled rearward. Upon previous positioning of the empty battery box, I had bolted the strap anchors into the trunk ledge with sheet metal bolts. The battery had to be loaded into the box then carefully slid up onto the ledge . Finally, after fishing out the strap & over the lid, the strap was cinched down. Subsequent problem, which ended up being a BIG problem was the strap would always loosen up, & the heavy battery & the box would rock slightly & slide around some. Very annoying & not safe, I had to remove the problem.

After surveying what several others had done on late 2nd Gens, I came up with a solution. This was also hastened by my brother needed a battery, his modded shortbed 78 Silverado's battery was on its last leg. Ended up driving into OKC & picked up a Torque Starter performance type battery. These lighter batterys were beginning to be the rage in drag cars. 32lbs, a weight savings of 16lbs over the stock hd Delco & boat box setup. No regular acid inside was the big selling point. With the battery case size being smaller, this meant I could not use any new aftermarket trunk mount battery trays. As I regularly hit a fairly good swath of 50's-70's auto salvages, stopped in at one of my favorite older GM yards. Ended up stumbling onto a 75 Monza that had a correct size thick steel battery tray with the bolt down plastic wedge on the side. Problem was the battery tray was spotwelded into the front passenger side fender well. a good hour with several chisels & my hammer & the tray came out fine. After taking it home, sure enough the way it was stamped, it fit perfectly on the trunk ledge so bolted it down in several of the small recesses. The smaller case higher CCA TorqueStarter battery bolted down on the tray & fit slightly further back on the trunk ledge. Considering how much room exists in that area & what a.PITA loading the battery in the box & then positioning the loaded box, the absolute frustration of the strap loosening up was just the icing on the cake. Something I was glad to not have to go through again.

Had great service out that drivers side trunk ledge mounted battery. Added Herb swaybars in '84 after VSE finally had a sale, loved 'em! Removed the Comp bolt in sub connectors around the same time, & had a custom pair of weld-in sub connectors installed. Stiffened up the chassis some but still had issues with the outer sheetmetal towards the rear of divider area of the Fisher top roof. First, noticed a tear in the steel roof skin. After DA'ing, welding up the roof skin, & refinishing the roof, a tear reappeared in a slightly different spot. Upon dropping the headliner & Fisher top weatherstrip, it was evident that numerous spotwelds were torn between the outer roof skin & the inner structure. At that point, it was frusterating, but had my friend Glen's shop replace entire roof skin & had the roof repainted. With the limitations of the T-top body structure fully evident, I decided it was time to minimally drive the '80, & shift my interest. Began buying earlier performance Pontiac A-body projects as well as partscars. In late '87 I removed the interior out of the '80 & mothballed the car, no regrets, if I'd continued down the same road, I'd have had to put minimum of a 6 point rollbar in the '80. Didn't want that.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Hey that's perfect! Exactly what I needed to see. Wasn't excited about drilling holes into it, but that's what they've done there. Strap and everything, go figure! Colours look the same, no? Is that one just super faded and corroded? Looks red inside. I'll just fab something up at a local hardware store.
No the box iwas definitely white and I have the top (somewhere) it is Very red / orange.
So just reverse colors The white is really discolored.

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Hopefully to be restored, H-"O" Racing 73 Trans Am SD 4 speed,
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post
Old 05-03-2023, 08:38 PM

Wow! What happened to this 301T SE? Do you still have it?

Good info for me to help position this one in my boot!

Old 05-03-2023, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Wow! What happened to this 301T SE? Do you still have it?

Good info for me to help position this one in my boot!
Yes, out in the breezeway in the center of my building. Love the only new Pontiac I ever ordered, but not enough to put refreshening it in front of finishing my '71's & 72's. Once the earlier cars are finished, it will get its due.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Yes, out in the breezeway in the center of my building. Love the only new Pontiac I ever ordered, but not enough to put refreshening it in front of finishing my '71's & 72's. Once the earlier cars are finished, it will get its due.
Awesome that you still have it, really cool to hear there's still some old 301T Nitro racer T/A's still around!