Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-20-2023, 02:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default cleanout oil accumulator

have a canton oil accumulator. had bearing go last season and got material in oil. canton says not to take accusump apart. what is best way to clean it out? disc is at in/outlet end. do you just spray in brakekleen in the end and let drain? thanks

Old 05-20-2023, 06:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well if it’s like the Moroso one your going to have to pressurize it some how with air and a cleaner like maybe Naphtha and then let it blow down just like it would when plumbed into a engine and doing its intended job.

I would guess that 2 or 3 times of doing such will have it all flushed out.

I would also guess that two gallons of the cleaner should get the job done.

Afterwards I would hook it up to your motor let it fill up like normal and then close the valve.
Then remove it and open then valve slowly while over a tall drain pan like a kitchen garbage can or the like.

Yup. You will waste a few Qt of oil, but it will all internally be clean then.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 05-20-2023, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, we always used a Moroso accumulator on both our race cars. Unless the Canton device is much different in design, you MUST take it apart to clean it out. The Moroso units collect tons of debris between the O-rings that really act like pistons rings inside there. I would call them and ask what the deal is and how to clean it. I don't know of anyway to clean it without disassembly. The Moroso unit requires a giant pair of snap ring pliers to get the end caps off.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have one that needs cleaning. A buddy said that he takes them apart all the time to clean them for customers. He said it was straight forward and not a big deal. I went as far as acquiring the correct spanner wrench but haven't had the chance to take it apart..... My theory was its useless until it's taken apart and cleaned.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
I have one that needs cleaning. A buddy said that he takes them apart all the time to clean them for customers. He said it was straight forward and not a big deal. I went as far as acquiring the correct spanner wrench but haven't had the chance to take it apart..... My theory was its useless until it's taken apart and cleaned.
I just read through their PDF about cleaning. I am glad I have been using Moroso for decades. I just hate companies that assume racers are complete idiots and not capable of if unscrewing 2 end caps, pushing a piston out and changing 4 o-rings. Just ridiculous. Written by lawyers. Moroso sells a kit to rebuild theirs. To get the Canton one apart, you need a big spanner wrench and a rubber strap wrench to hold the cylinder so you don't distort it. Do not put it in any kind of vise. Or you can send it back to them I guess. Could probably take it apart, clean it out and put it back together with new o-rings in 1/2 hour. As prickly as they seem to be about opening it, getting the correct o-rings may be a bit of an issue. I would call them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2023, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Jim, we always used a Moroso accumulator on both our race cars. Unless the Canton device is much different in design, you MUST take it apart to clean it out. The Moroso units collect tons of debris between the O-rings that really act like pistons rings inside there. I would call them and ask what the deal is and how to clean it. I don't know of anyway to clean it without disassembly. The Moroso unit requires a giant pair of snap ring pliers to get the end caps off.
i still have the one i got from you. too big to fit where the canton one was. will call canton on monday.

Old 05-20-2023, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Zeek View Post
i still have the one i got from you. too big to fit where the canton one was. will call canton on monday.
I forgot all about that. So the Canton one is more compact I guess. If they will sell you O-rings, you should have no issues

Old 05-21-2023, 06:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
If Canton won't sell you o-rings or tell you what size they are, measure the groove dimensions and I'll look up what it takes in my o-ring design handbook.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 05-23-2023, 12:07 AM

Quote:
have a canton oil accumulator. had bearing go last season and got material in oil. canton says not to take accusump apart. what is best way to clean it out? disc is at in/outlet end. do you just spray in brakekleen in the end and let drain? thanks

Curious about your bearing going out? Ever find out the cause? How many passes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-23-2023, 06:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Canton says right on their website the Accusump can be taken apart and cleaned if necessary. https://blog.cantonracingproducts.co...ccusump-basics

"When speaking specifically about the Accusump accumulator design, it is important to note it is completely rebuild-able and serviceable. In the event of an engine failure the Accusump can be disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt to original spec. Other styles don't always have this capability."

Of course they do recommend it be sent back to the factory for repair, but there are a number of descriptions on how to do it online as well as a couple Youtube videos.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excerpt from the Canton instruction manual PDF:

ENGINE FAILURES
Should an engine failure occur or the oil become contaminated the Accusump™ should be cleaned and tested.
All lines and components of the oil system must be flushed and cleaned. We recommend that if a unit needs to be
cleaned, tested and/or rebuilt, it should be sent back to the factory. Improper disassembly can cause damage to the
Accusump™ and may be very dangerous.
IMPORTANT PRECAUTIONS
The following precautions must be taken for your Accusump™ to operate correctly. Failure to do so can result in
damage to the unit.
1. Never allow your Accusump™ to become hydraulically locked, that is, having the unit totally filled with oil with the
valve closed. There should always be a cushion of air in the Accusump™ when the valve is closed.
2. There should be a 7-10 psi. pre-charge of air pressure when the unit is totally empty of oil.
CAUTION!!!
The Accusump™ tube's inside diameter has a very smooth finish. Should this finish become damaged by foreign
material (from engine failure or contaminated oil), the piston seals will wear rapidly, leading to malfunctioning of the
Accusump™. Use of an oil filter without a bypass is encouraged. We recommend our CM high flow non-bypassing
filter. Should the bore of the Accusump™ tube become scored, the entire Accusump™ unit will become unrepairable.
If possible, plumb the filter before the Accusump™.
MAINTENANCE
1. When in operation, the reading on the air gauge of the unit should increase and decrease with engine oil pressure
fluctuations.
2. Routinely check the pre-charge pressure with the unit totally empty of the oil to make sure air has not leaked out
of the unit. This is extremely important when a remote air gauge is used.
3. Never bleed air from the unit while in operation or when full of oil as this will defeat the purpose of the pre-charge
and make the unit ineffective.
4. These units should not be mounted in a place where they can become excessively hot, especially not in a place
where they will absorb heat after the engine is shut off and the Accusump™ control valve has been closed.
5. Improper disassembly can cause damage to the Accusump™ and can be very dangerous.

Old 05-23-2023, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sent it to canton this afternoon. $60.00 plus shipping to check out

Old 05-24-2023, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its more then worth 60$ to check it out these days. And you don't have to deal with it yourself.

Old 05-24-2023, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree, that is reasonable. Basically, charging a half hour labor or so. That's about how long it would take do disassemble, clean, inspect and reassemble. I was expecting double that.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:30 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
I have taken apart at least 10 of the things. Still have 3 units (new on the shelf) and have never had an issue with cleaning the Accusump tanks
by taking them apart.

We used the Accusump Tanks on a test rig for a oil study in Research one time.

Tom V.

No worries Jim.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

got a call from canton. its done and on way back. 1 week turn around even with holiday.

Old 06-26-2023, 06:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post

If anyone is looking for the snap ring pliers to use on that Moroso accumulator these are the ones to have.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...ers-57799.html

They will make life much easier!

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.890@157.08 MPH in Iowa in June’23 ,157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23