THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-22-2023, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksteve View Post
they listed 479 Million dollars in warranty repairs on the Ford 6.0 diesel , that was for those who were lucky enough to still be in warranty. I bet those engines cost the company i work for in excess of 10 million dollars. A good number of those F-350's we just scrapped after their 6.0s died.
I had a short bus fleet with well over 100 of those Ford 6.0 diesels as a customer (I was an ACD, Motorcraft and Mopar OE parts territory manager) and they had plenty of them repaired on Ford's dime - long after the original factory warranty expired as a result of multiple class action lawsuits.

Suffice it to say, I made a lot of money selling Motorcraft parts to that fleet while they were my customer between 2010 and 2018.

I think the 6.0 diesel repairs actually cost Ford more than $1,000,000,000.00

Old 05-22-2023, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If that Billion dollars is a accurate, that's some SERIOUS money, even for a giant like Ford. Hell, that's 4 NFL quarterback contracts! That should put it into perspective and qualify that engine for the list. I am happy to say I have never worked on one of those engines.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2023, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I think most of the clickbait on MSN is written by low paid interns and not reviewed by editors...the stuff posted there is usually full of glaring errors.
I didnt bother reading. I have found that anything MSN is garbage. I would bet the writers in all likelihood have never driven a car, much less know the ins and outs. Just about everyone I have read to date is seriously flawed to some degree. It is so I wont read them at all. SO, maybe there was something intelligent, but somehow I doubt it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2023, 07:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd go further and say the Olds diesel reputation ruined the ENTIRE US (car) diesel market for decades.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hgerhardt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
If that Billion dollars is a accurate, that's some SERIOUS money, even for a giant like Ford. .........That should put it into perspective and qualify that engine for the list. I am happy to say I have never worked on one of those engines.

The Ford Dealership told me that there would be no Ford V8s soon. I mentioned the risk with the 1.0 Liter ECOboost timing BELT soaking in hot oil being a failure timebomb. Ford Engine designers getting away with fundamental crap like organic belts in hot oil seems to be an intentional demise.

Old 05-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Boost Engineer

https://www.fordracingbyspeedshopdir...EaAqgXEALw_wcB

(1) A Ford Pushrod NA V8 Engine

(2) The Ford Dealership told me that there would be no Ford V8s soon.
Maybe as far as Ford boosted V8 Diesels go.

3) The Ford 1.0L EcoBoost Fox engine received important updates in 2017. Although thermodynamically similar to its predecessor, it was entirely reconfigured to integrate a new cylinder deactivation system for improved efficiency. A dual-mass flywheel and a vibration-damping clutch disc were also added to quell engine oscillations when running on two cylinders. Offered in two different variations, with different power ratings, the Ford 1.0L EcoBoost Fox engine was awarded the International Engine of Year twice. It powers the following vehicles.

Ford Fiesta
Ford Focus (European market)
Ford EcoSport

Ford 1.0L EcoBoost Fox engine was awarded the International Engine of Year TWICE.
Obviously the International JUDGES have a different opinion.

Tom V.

Do the job, and then we can talk again.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
https://www.fordracingbyspeedshopdir...EaAqgXEALw_wcB

(1) A Ford Pushrod NA V8 Engine

(2) The Ford Dealership told me that there would be no Ford V8s soon.
Maybe as far as Ford boosted V8 Diesels go.

3) The Ford 1.0L EcoBoost Fox engine received important updates in 2017. Although thermodynamically similar to its predecessor, it was entirely reconfigured to integrate a new cylinder deactivation system for improved efficiency. A dual-mass flywheel and a vibration-damping clutch disc were also added to quell engine oscillations when running on two cylinders. Offered in two different variations, with different power ratings, the Ford 1.0L EcoBoost Fox engine was awarded the International Engine of Year twice. It powers the following vehicles.

Ford Fiesta
Ford Focus (European market)
Ford EcoSport

Ford 1.0L EcoBoost Fox engine was awarded the International Engine of Year TWICE.
Obviously the International JUDGES have a different opinion.

Tom V.

Do the job, and then we can talk again.
I seriously doubt Ford would kill their “cash cow”( truck production) to keep the “greenies” happy. The F series Ford truck IS the main stay of corporate light truck fleets.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-23-2023, 11:08 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
I seriously doubt Ford would kill their “cash cow”( truck production) to keep the “greenies” happy. The F series Ford truck IS the main stay of corporate light truck fleets.
Totally Agree.

Just Saying the Pushrod Gas engine is ANOTHER example that the conventional gas & diesel engine will be around for quite some time.

Tom V.

2.7 million ECOBOOST engine vehicles, (all I wanted was a single dollar for each vehicle, LOL!).

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My biggest takeaway from the ecoboost 3.5L gas engine is how tough and reliable they have been in heavy duty use. A fleet of 18 passenger vans with that engine I worked on from 2015 to 2022 didn't have a single major mechanical failure. No turbo issues, no valvetrain, lower end, or even transmission problems. Two of them had over 300K miles on them. Oil leaks, minor coolant leaks, coils and O2 sensors sure. But nothing major. Very impressed. That engine will NEVER make the 10 worst list. It's a V-6 anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 12:24 PM
Boost Engineer

When I retired in 2016 Ford Research gave me a "one of a kind" hand made/machined lamp. The words on the plaque say:

Ford Logo Presented to ECOBOOST Logo
August T Vaught

IN RECOGNITION OF YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS TO FORD POWERTRAIN AND BOOSTING TECHNOLOGY

HAPPY RETIREMENT
POWERTRAIN RESEARCH & ADVANCED ENGINEERING TEAM

That being said the 3.5L ECOBOOST race car that won at Le Mans could run at Le Mans as speeds exceeding
250 mph 3 times each lap (7 miles = ONE LAP) for 24 hours on race day. The 3.5L engine Mike, as you posted,
was a very durable boosted engine Mike.

Tom V.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
The Ford Dealership told me that there would be no Ford V8s soon. I mentioned the risk with the 1.0 Liter ECOboost timing BELT soaking in hot oil being a failure timebomb. Ford Engine designers getting away with fundamental crap like organic belts in hot oil seems to be an intentional demise.

Well i should have qualified Ford Gasoline V8s in Ford Production vehicles.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I may not know a whole lot about them, but that article is the very first time I have read it being suggested that the flathead ford engine was unreliable.

Older stuff required more maintenance period - maybe the authors personal bias placed it on the list?

I also think the the cited three year run of the Chevy 267 (79-80-81) is wrong;
It’s possible that the Malibu sedan I had was an ‘81, but I thought it was an ‘82 - it had that gutless small block. It may have been gutless, but it was reliable.
The same article suggested that the Pontiac 265 was made for longer than the Chev 267;
Is that correct??
I thought I read that the last Pontiav V8 was a 301 - and that it was built in (?)1981…??

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 05-24-2023, 05:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As mentioned, take anything printed in an MSN article with a healthy grain of salt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Need a follow-up article on 4-CYLs and 6-CYLs. Or auto engines in general, that which only 2 or 3 of the V8s (caddy 4100 & 4-6-8 or olds diesel) would relist.

Me thinks the article is dissing on (gasoline) V8s as narrative. Plenty of epic 4 cyl fails and fewer 6-cyl. V8s the least fail variety.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:11 AM
Senior Chief

Monza/Vega alum 4 cylinder. A favorite of exterminators everywhere.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 08:28 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Me thinks the article is dissing on (gasoline) V8s as narrative. Plenty of epic 4 cyl fails and fewer 6-cyl. V8s the least fail variety.
My Uncle the Pontiac/Cadillac Dealer for 67 years used to say:

4 cylinder engine can live for "X" number of miles
6 cylinder engine can live for "2X" number of miles
8 cylinder engine can live for "3X" number of miles.

Lots of 7.3 liter diesels with 300K plus miles on them out there in service.

Tom V.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
My Uncle the Pontiac/Cadillac Dealer for 67 years used to say:

4 cylinder engine can live for "X" number of miles
6 cylinder engine can live for "2X" number of miles
8 cylinder engine can live for "3X" number of miles.

Lots of 7.3 liter diesels with 300K plus miles on them out there in service.

Tom V.
The highest mileage 6.9/7.3 IDI or 7.3 PowerStroke I ever machined had over 500,000 miles on it. It came from a box truck chassis that was owned by a trucking company that made multiple runs per day from Louisville, KY to St. Louis, MO.( all interstate mileage). The reason it was removed and shipped to us was because one of the HEUI injectors had frozen in the open position, flooding that cylinder with fuel.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-24-2023, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Pisses me off when you put together a great post about racing a Flathead Ford Engine at the Bonneville Salt Flats and the Site wipes your post clean due to a "Timed Out for the post"

Tom V.
Tom - either both of us are too wordy , or both of us type poorly! (OR both!!!)

My solution, if the post will be long, is to type it on Microsoft Word, edit, then cut and paste.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 10:57 AM
Boost Engineer

Thanks Jon, first statement fits exactly.

Tom V.

Old 05-24-2023, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I disagree with the '79 SBC. For the most part, they were all very reliable. The first year flathead V8 had some bugs that later flathead V8's did not have. That said, they had a habit of cracking the blocks and vapor locking as part of their design. Not a super robust engine, IMO. Great for what it was at its price point 90 years ago, though. I started working in the auto industry in 1979 and can verify 100% the other engines being listed as total junk. Cadillac were the worst of the worst....and GM liked to use the consumer as their test bed, rather than the lab and test track, like the imports.