Old 05-31-2023, 10:29 PM

Default power steering pump leaking at high pressure fitting

I bought my 77 Grand Prix SJ new - it has 282,000 miles on it. Replaced the p/s pump and now it leaks at the high pressure fitting that goes into the pump. Am I missing an O ring? It's a flare fitting and I didn't see any sign of an O ring when I took the fitting off. It's not cross-threaded and seats at the same place as in the old pump, but man does it leak! Tomorrow I'm planning to remove the fitting and use plumber's tape. Maybe that's all it needs.

I have four issues with the GP, but will start with the p/s pump problem and go from there. Glad to find this forum - not many people around where I live who know about these cars and not much if anything on You Tube. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 06-01-2023, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave. Welcome to P/Y. You shouldn't need any tape on the fitting. There is a flat rubber washer inside the housing that seals the can, but you say it's new so should be ok. As for the fitting, it is flared so it need to be pretty tight. I would try this first. Move your fitting back and forth as you tighten it up. it may help seat the flare properly to seal up. Hopefully there are no burs on the flare end.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 06-01-2023, 12:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Never, ever, use teflon tape or other sealant on those pressure fittings.

You said the hose you removed has a flared end. Did you look at the hole in the fitting in the pump to make sure that has the mating flare? The 1980-up O-ring fittings are interchangeable in the pump, so maybe the rebuilder installed one.

You can remove the old flare fitting from the back of the old pump and install on the new pump. Just make sure you get a new O-ring for that fitting where it goes into the pump.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:41 PM

I used the original fitting from the old pump and the original hose. The brass insert looks like it mates with the flared pipe on the end of the hose. There shouldn't be an O ring in there, right? Is the O ring you mentioned the one on the fitting that screws into the pump, the one with the one inch hex-head nut? Assuming it is, is there a specific one I need to get - the parts store couldn't help me there - or can I use one from my Harbor freight assortment? Attached is a picture of the fitting I am using. I don't think the flare on the hose is deformed in any way, but I note a slight scoring on the brass insert and curiously, it only goes half way around. Again, the parts store couldn't find a replacement. Thank you both. Your responses are much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230601_171930495.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	613528  

Old 06-01-2023, 04:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A. View Post
I used the original fitting from the old pump and the original hose. The brass insert looks like it mates with the flared pipe on the end of the hose. There shouldn't be an O ring in there, right? Is the O ring you mentioned the one on the fitting that screws into the pump, the one with the one inch hex-head nut? Assuming it is, is there a specific one I need to get - the parts store couldn't help me there - or can I use one from my Harbor freight assortment? Attached is a picture of the fitting I am using. I don't think the flare on the hose is deformed in any way, but I note a slight scoring on the brass insert and curiously, it only goes half way around. Again, the parts store couldn't find a replacement. Thank you both. Your responses are much appreciated!
The flare does not get an O-ring. That hose adapter fitting with the 1" hex has an O-ring on its OD where it screws into the pump. There's a groove for that on the adapter.

The 1980-up style (which you don't have) uses an O-ring on the end of the hose fitting instead of a flare, along with another O-ring to seal the pump adapter to the pump housing.