Old 10-20-2023, 08:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 65-6 rear coils ‘n springs

Gonna retry this in the P-8 group.

Having a tough time getting the rear suspension parts to work. Did a full suspension upgrade with PMT arms and sway bar. Viking shocks. New ESPO coil springs. 140 lb/in. Problem is the new shocks that are supposed to fit are within an inch of topping out at ride ht. At first I thought the old Eaton springs I had were wagon springs. So I got new ones at ESPO, had to anyway. The old ones got damaged in a wheel hop incident. Put the new springs in and the ride height is more or less the same as it was before. We weighed the corners and got a rear wt. figured out unsprung wt and it doesn’t add up.

I’ve looked at similar cars and they all sit lower than mine. 2” at least. If you have any ideas, I’m all out. It’s never been modified and it fully assembled. Spare tire too.

It’s a matter of finding a working shock/spring combo. I’d like to stick with the Vikings. Not sure if I can get one long enough or a spring shorter.

More of a warning to those of you thinking about getting new rear springs. I believe there are some long 24” shocks that would work with the HD springs. The trial and error is the sucky part.

Old 10-23-2023, 04:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

I've got the KYB from Rockauto on back of my 65 GP, they are a bit stiff but do alright.
About 19" eye to eye installed with ESPO standard coils that have been under there at least 10 years, car sits mostly level. According to Rock, the KYBs extend to nearly 22". How high is the center of your rear wheel opening directly above center of rear wheel? My GP is roughly 9".

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=7556&jsn=419

Old 10-23-2023, 10:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Update: Viking makes 2” extensions so I’m saved. A longer 24” shock (Monroe’s) is needed for the Cats & GPs when using the 140s since it’ll lift the rear up 2-3 inches. Any OE shock will work the bigger load 124” wb cars. Standard 122 lb/in springs are tough to find. Coil Spring Specialties can make them. Ames Eaton and ESPO sell only the 140s now.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

Thanks for the info. I'm still curious though, how high is the rear with those 140 springs?