Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-01-2022, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69f bird View Post
I took my '69 Firebird out last week, for the first time this year. It has a 462, 6x4 heads, stock 69 intake and q-jet. The q-jet was professionally rebuilt two years ago, and at that time it got a new gas tank, 3/8" stainless fuel lines, and new fuel pump. It was hot out, around 90 degrees. I had zero problems with it last year, even in extreme heat.

The car started up fine. After it warmed up a bit, I drove about 5 miles, it was running fine, but then it just stalled. Definitely seemed fuel related. It would not restart initially. After trying to start it for about 30-40 minutes, it finally started, thus making me think it is heat related. I drove straight home, only to stall again about 1/2 mile from my house. This time it took over an hour for it to restart. I drove it the last 1/2 mile and in my driveway it stalled again before I got into my garage. Same 1 hour wait for it to restart. I did remove the fuel filter from the q-jet, thinking maybe it was clogged. No difference.

Fuel was 93 octane premium from last fall, treated with Sta-Bil. I do not remember, but it may have been fuel with ethanol.

Any ideas? I have a vented gas cap, and checked it, and it is fine. All I can think is that the new rubber lines, one near the tank and one near the fuel pump, may have been damaged by the ethanol. Or possibly the fuel pump.

Before I begin changing things, any suggestions or ideas? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
You need to take off the air cleaner lid when it stalls and work the throttle and see if you have gas. If you don't, you have a fuel supply problem to diagnose. If you DO have fuel, you need to check for spark. Simple as that.

Old 09-01-2022, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
You need to take off the air cleaner lid when it stalls and work the throttle and see if you have gas. If you don't, you have a fuel supply problem to diagnose. If you DO have fuel, you need to check for spark. Simple as that.
Good suggestion Jeff. I just went through a similar fuel delivery situation in an 81 trans am that I changed the cam and timing chain on. Had no power under load but would rev fine in park so for a test I filled up the fuel bowl. Anyhow I put the car quickly in gear once it started and jumped on the throttle and got the power back.

Turned out I had to drop my fuel tank as the sending unit fuel sock was plugged solid. Should have figured it out sooner but I used compressed air to blow the fuel line clear. Nothing came out initally then I heard a pop and could hear bubbles so I thought that cleared the blockage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220901_130838_279.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	597631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220901_130827_788.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	597632