Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-11-2022, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Almost 80 at cruise

Old 06-11-2022, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Almost 80 at cruise

So that's really good oil pressure. You could probably run a max weight of 40. You could try another oil say 10w-40. I like the Amsoil brand. I run there 10w-40 in my car with solid lifters on a hydraulic cam.

https://www.amsoil.ca/p/premium-prot...motor-oil-amo/

I run the Z-rod oil 20w-50 in the IA2 as the bearing clearance is looser. https://www.amsoil.ca/p/z-rod-20w-50...motor-oil-zrf/

At the end of the day it just comes down to preference on oil and brand.

As mentioned it just may be the nature of the brand lifters you are using as other have mentioned. I would call the manufacture and ask them for recommendations on their lifters.

You said your running Lucas 20w-50 for break in. Maybe put your ZR1 oil in and try it. I can't find ZR1. Must be VR1. Your break in must be done by now. In other words, rings must be seated by now.

You should also talk to your builder see what they say about running a litter weight oil.

I was told by Johnson lifters rep to not run any weight oil over 40 as the lifter would not perform properly.

I use to use this product from GM long time ago when I ran flat tappet. It performed really well on lifters and cam. Not sure you can get it anymore.
https://parts.lakewoodchev.com/produ...SABEgK1BPD_BwE

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 06-11-2022, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have close to 80lbs at cruise you need thinner oil. No reason on the face of the earth to have that high oil pressure.
The extra wear on your distributor gear if nothing else.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2022, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
If you have close to 80lbs at cruise you need thinner oil. No reason on the face of the earth to have that high oil pressure.
The extra wear on your distributor gear if nothing else.
Maybe he has 488 gears & cruising @ 80mph. LOL

Old 06-12-2022, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your looking for a given weight of oil or oil pressure or combo of both to compensate for noise made in the valvetrain weather from bad parts or in response to cam lobe rams then your off the rails in your thought process in the first place!

Old 06-13-2022, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Almost 80 at cruise

Are you running a Butler/Mellings SD pump?

Old 06-13-2022, 03:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Are you running a Butler/Mellings SD pump?
Paul Carter blueprinted it

Old 06-13-2022, 03:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25stevem View Post
If your looking for a given weight of oil or oil pressure or combo of both to compensate for noise made in the valvetrain weather from bad parts or in response to cam lobe rams then your off the rails in your thought process in the first place!
Whether

Old 06-13-2022, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Whether
You did not just correct someone's spelling while asking them for tech help, right? It might not be what you want to hear but someone still took time to offer advice. Something tells me you will never let this thread die and will still be here 5 years from now asking how to tie your shoes.

The Following User Says Thank You to P@blo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Quote:
Whether
maybe you should ask paul carter why your lifters are ticking? & why you need 80lbs of hot cruising oil psi??

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve used Rislone in a few cars to quiet lifter noise.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 06-13-2022, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rislone works in older cars that have shellac build up in the lifters , it also free’s up all the crap caked on the bottom of the pan , the internal block and head surfaces and sends that all to the oil pump to clog off the screen.

If Rislone works in a older somewhat not maintained motor for you the result is quite lifters for about a week and then a drop off in oil pressure that with no gauge and just a light you never and many times late find out about!

At least this has been my experience from the two times a used the stuff back in the 80s.
If it’s been good for you then either you have been lucky, or I have been unlucky, I guess we can flip a coin on that one, lol!

Last edited by 25stevem; 06-13-2022 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
54D-S provides 55 psi at cruise, 54F (SD) provides 80 psi at cruise.

80 psi is ideal for a large journal engine. I don't really buy into the whole distributor drive gear wear wives-tale. I have run the 54F for many years with no adverse effects on a stock HEI distributor gear. For those running a composite or brass gear, yeah, you will wear them out faster with an 80 psi pump.

Old 06-14-2022, 05:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@blo View Post
You did not just correct someone's spelling while asking them for tech help, right? It might not be what you want to hear but someone still took time to offer advice. Something tells me you will never let this thread die and will still be here 5 years from now asking how to tie your shoes.
Uh I believe he called me off the rails and I merely responded in kind.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

so with all the suggestions to try a thinner oil, backed up by many reputable builders & lifter companies, are you going to consider that or just ignore it? some others had a few good suggestions to try too like bumping the idle up or increasing valve lash...

the comment about checking with the guy you got the oil pump from werent meant as derogatory, makes no sense to need 80psi at hot cruise. i also meant to mention checking with the engine builder as to why the lifters are ticking or why you need 20/50 oil & 80psi for a street engine. what does he recommend for ticking lifters?? probably best to ask those 2 guys instead of asking for opinions on the internet.

Last edited by 78w72; 06-14-2022 at 11:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Got any video of it you can post?

You said it just sounds like a couple of them on one side of the engine. That tells me it's not oil related or they would all be doing it. I've run all kinds of weight oils in these hydraulic roller lifters and have never found any difference in noise or performance. Only change I've seen is hot idle oil pressure varies a bit, cruise was about the same. My opinion you'll be chasing your tail and spending a bunch of money on oil changes doing that.

It's probably a few lifters that just aren't up to par on their bleed down rates. That seems to be a pretty common theme these days.

If it were me I'd probably run the lash down a bit and kick the idle up a tad. No reason it can't idle at 900, this is a stick car anyway right?

From there if it's not affecting how the car runs just roll with it. Or buy a set of Johnson lifters and give that a shot. Likely need pushrods and set geometry all over again. How much money and trouble do you want to go through for a little lifter noise?

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 06-14-2022, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can narrow down which lifter is making noise I would just replace it or crank it down like Larry said. Sounded like you already have an idea of which bank the ticker is on.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don`t think it makes a difference at all if it`s a ft hyd or a roller hyd lifter. Inner guts are inner guts. QC? I can see that.

I ran a 455 with hyd lifters for 30 years or so with 20w50 oil. 80# pump too. No problems with lifter noise. I just sold that engine to someone here. He is very happy with it. Toss it in and run it. Just sayin.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchT37 View Post
I don`t think it makes a difference at all if it`s a ft hyd or a roller hyd lifter. Inner guts are inner guts. QC? I can see that.

I ran a 455 with hyd lifters for 30 years or so with 20w50 oil. 80# pump too. No problems with lifter noise. I just sold that engine to someone here. He is very happy with it. Toss it in and run it. Just sayin.
was your 455 hyd lifters FT or roller? big difference in noise issues between the 2 types of lifters.

the mentioning of 10/30 oil for hyd rollers was not saying to experiment with & spend money on different oil weights. if the PSI is good on 10/30, which i suspect it will be, it's worth a try on the next oil change based on many of the hyd roller lifter companies & other builders recommendations.

as for the dist gear wear, this is a hyd roller cam so it uses a composite or brass gear...

Old 06-14-2022, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
was your 455 hyd lifters FT or roller? big difference in noise issues between the 2 types of lifters.

Why?