THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default GM’s answer to Bolt EV issues?

I think I’ve mentioned before I am no fan of post-Pontiac GM. This is an interesting article discussing GM’s response to a problem they are having with the Bolt electric vehicles.

Basically they are having trouble with fires on this vehicle. They have dropped the price accordingly- and are offering a ‘good will’ rebate to current owners of up to $6000 - I would assume because the value of the vehicle is effected and may be unsellable.

I would be wrong. It’s a way to get owners (and apparently anyone they have ever known) to agree not to sue GM if anything happens with the vehicle. It’s a really odd pitch.

Not really interested in discussing the viability of electric cars, but rather the way GM is approaching this problem?

Mods, if you feel this needs to be moved to the clubhouse please do so.

https://jalopnik.com/chevy-offers-bo...e-o-1849357351

Old 08-02-2022, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know 3 people with electric cars and all of them charge their cars overnight in their garage. I told them I would not recommend doing so because of possible fires. They think I'm crazy saying that and that E cars are safe.

GM's handling is demonstrating the reasons why you should not charge cars overnight in your garage. If they want owners to wave their rights to sue, they know that the possibility or probability is there and must be significant enough to take this action.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:13 PM

maybe Park them in the "Bolt Bunker", older vid

Inside a GM board meeting to deal with the fires...

https://youtu.be/AMpqCxIlN1g?t=827

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Hopefully to be restored, H-"O" Racing 73 Trans Am SD 4 speed,
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post
Old 08-02-2022, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I shudder to think of that much self-ignite-able combustible LiPo battery in the garage.

Whereas gasoline tanked cars have a 100 year track record being safe with those rheostat fuel gauges sparking in the tank! Somehow the 100 year record is meaningful.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So, you're no fan of GM. Got it. Is GM the only car maker with fire issues? Do a little search on ALL the issues with batteries including your cell phone,

Old 08-02-2022, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My insurance agent, is dead set against having a charging station in your home garage. He has posted a slew of fire damaged homes on his website caused by EV charging fires.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-02-2022, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
So, you're no fan of GM. Got it. Is GM the only car maker with fire issues? Do a little search on ALL the issues with batteries including your cell phone,
Fan or no fan of GM, don't you think this was a poor method for handling this? I agree about all issues with batteries but this is large scale that could easily burn a house down.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't believe I am on the other side of this but.....my wife has received two recall notices on her 2011 Grand Cherokee asking her to park the car outside, away from combustibles until the recall is completed. WHY? The vanity lights in the sun visor short the wiring to a reinforcement in the roof panel and catch the headliner on fire. Several houses burned up . So it's not just Electric cars. Tons and tons of poorly engineered and manufactured electrical gear on all these late model cars. Just goes with the territory. Keep your premiums paid!

As far as the Bolt reimbursement. IMO, it's in very bad taste. But they are very clear in the statement it's a payoff for not suing. Probably much more money than the class action suit will ever return even if they win the lawsuit after lawyers cut. I would avoid the whole hassle by not buying that crap box to begin with.

Last edited by mgarblik; 08-02-2022 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:27 AM

Sounds like Ford is worried about their gas engines as well.
Quote:
Owners of 2021 Ford Expeditions and Lincoln Navigators are being urged by Ford to park their vehicles outside due to fire risk. Car manufacturer Ford is recalling over 100,000 SUVs and trucks because of fire risks in the engine, nearly a month after recalling millions of its vehicles.

Old 08-03-2022, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is sad is we could have made tremendous strides in both battery and electric vehicle technology if not for the oil lobbyist.

I guess it depends on where you stand with old EV1 conspiracy theories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRnUY6V2Knk

Old 08-03-2022, 12:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It’s interesting that we are hearing now that you are supposed to park outside - I wonder if this is just to cover their a$$es? I would think there would be more chance of dying in a house fire than a car fire?

Pont3- I completely understand other manufacturers have these issues- but I feel teasing a rebate to get someone to not sue over a defective product is in poor taste.

I just read last night they are going to give ZR1 owners 5k if they keep their car a year and do not resell it for a profit.

Really weird stuff going on at GM right now. More reason not to buy their ugly, boring products. I do like the new Escalade but it’s out of my price range and 20k more than a comparable product.

Old 08-03-2022, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
What is sad is we could have made tremendous strides in both battery and electric vehicle technology if not for the oil lobbyist.

My school just got an EV1 donated by another tech school that was tired of maintaining it and moving it around all the time. What a pile of old lead acid batteries!! Car looks allot like an old Saturn S series. Pretty ancient technology but you had to start somewhere I guess. Our plan is to upgrade the battery technology enough to be able to move it around the campus easily.

Old 08-03-2022, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Too many fires for me...

https://search.brave.com/search?q=el...source=android

Old 08-03-2022, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post

There has been HUGE strides in Battery tech. Solid state, Sulphur, Sodium,
Liquid metal batteries. AA Lot id coming down the pike and fast.

There are HUMAN waste plants in the US even making Turds into COAL, and producing 153% of the energy they use to make it. .... think on that energy source...
Jay Leno has a Lead acid Electric car, its pretty nice
Of Note and from a good friend who builds electric cars. He says that many overseas EV have a 3rd source battery and they are NOT tested ..

Old 08-03-2022, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Modern tech is making 70's tech look pretty good.

I am not a fan of electronics.. wires.. circuit boards... electronic gadgets in general. I could live without it.. Its all garbage to me.. Its all more trouble than it is worth. Guess I'll go crawl back into my cave.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
The Following User Says Thank You to 71GP76TA For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 08:02 PM
Senior Chief

Remember that ship that sank last year transporting cars coming over from Europe that started from a foreign manufacturers electric car. Electric cars were more popular for a time than an internal combustion engine more than a hundred years ago.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:39 PM

Electric vehicles are a joke and ruin the environment way more than they help. Fact

The Following User Says Thank You to Island Boy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

6K in trade for if your house burns down (whether you're in it or not)? LOL.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 08-04-2022, 01:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

GMC made 1 ton Electric trucks for Many years in the early 1900's. Just sayin.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:24 AM
Senior Chief

I have a 2012 Chevy Volt. No battery problem that I have heard of.
Wonder what changed in the battery’s.
Great car for beating around town using electric only. I get 40 to 45 miles on a charge.
I bought it used 8 years ago. 41 mpg on the highway using th ICE. Car showed 125mpg for the life of the car. Dropped by GM in 2020