Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 07-01-2022, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
^ ^ ^ ^. THIS is why I suggested a front frame swap. Yes, with enough work, you can put just about any motor in any car but why make it difficult? Have the place that’s tubbing the back swap the front at the same time and square it all up. Otherwise, unless you talk to someone who has actually done it, it’ll for sure be more hassle that you think. Just my 2 cents.
Admittedly I haven't put a big block Chevy in a 66 Star Chief, but I have put engines in vehicles that never were intended on being installed and have run into the same issue OP is dealing with. Taking flat plate steel and welding two rectangular pads onto the factory crossmember to give the new engine mounts something to bolt to isn't that difficult. It's far less involved than front halfing the frame.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 07-05-2022, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
I'd bet that those mounts will only be half on that crossmember ...
You would lose that bet. Chevy mounts are more forward. Here's a pic of a 67 Chevelle, look at how they hang well over the front.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1967-Chevelle-engine-e1604001435441-630x390.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	593786  

Old 07-05-2022, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
You would lose that bet. Chevy mounts are more forward. Here's a pic of a 67 Chevelle, look at how they hang well over the front.

We'll see if, and when this ever happens....

GM used a chevy frame under the Canadian Pontiacs for a reason.

A and B bodies aren't even similar in 66. B bodies are rear steer, and A bodies are front steer, apples and oranges.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-05-2022, 10:01 PM

If and when it happens?

LoL .... I remember the last time a guy told me that. It was a very highly recommended machine shop / engine builder here in OKC. I asked him if he could change the bolt pattern for the intake manifold on some cylinder heads he told me it wasn't possible. Because I would wind up in the water jackets . I told him I was pretty sure it was possible I just didn't have all the proper tooling. He told me I was wrong again and that I was wasting his time and should just get an entirely new engine in the car. Nothing motivated me more than him telling me it wasn't possible and I couldn't do it.

So with all due respect give me some time but I will make it happen. ... That was EXACTLY what I needed to hear

Old 07-05-2022, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooguy View Post
If and when it happens?

LoL .... I remember the last time a guy told me that. It was a very highly recommended machine shop / engine builder here in OKC. I asked him if he could change the bolt pattern for the intake manifold on some cylinder heads he told me it wasn't possible. Because I would wind up in the water jackets . I told him I was pretty sure it was possible I just didn't have all the proper tooling. He told me I was wrong again and that I was wasting his time and should just get an entirely new engine in the car. Nothing motivated me more than him telling me it wasn't possible and I couldn't do it.

So with all due respect give me some time but I will make it happen. ... That was EXACTLY what I needed to hear
I never said it wasn't possible. If you read all the posts I've made, there are easier ways to achieve the same end result. If you want to do everything the hardest way possible, just have at it, it keeps you off the streets when you're working away in your garage.

A long time ago I've taught myself to work smart, not hard, it's entirely your prerogative to do it the hardest way possible. You're not talking to a novice, I started building, and racing dirt race Pontiacs in the late 60s, so I got a whole lot of miles doing this. I have earned my living for 50 years working on cars, no novice here, and I've probably done most anything that you're contemplating doing.

I trust you saw the picture of the Jeep wrecker with a 455 Pontiac in it, and fully operational 4 wheel drive, and hand fabricated headers. There are no adapter kits to make that swap. Try that some time if you want a challenge. I've built every engine in my cars myself, no engine building shops did any of it. Notice I won more than a few races, see 67 GTO in victory lane in signature pictures.

Current project, cut a long wheelbase IH S1600 former U haul box truck, remove 8 feet from the overall wheelbase and mount a wrecker body on the shortened chassis. Plumb hydraulics into the truck and have an operating 2 ton wrecker with air ride, fabricate all parts and pieces needed in my garage at home. Mine's about 80% done.

You've chosen your project, enjoy all the work, and headaches that go with it. By all means do it the most difficult way possible, just to prove a point..............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 07-05-2022 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:44 PM

Challenge accepted. That jeep wrecker was an awesome build. And please understand I mean absolutely no disrespect at all. And I do appreciate the advice immensely... It just helps motivate me So it doesn't wind up sitting on jack stands for years like a lot of people wind up doing.