THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-05-2023, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
Well following what you guys were saying found this youtube video. I am pretty sure it is the amp. No sound when tapping on the cord. I also used a flashlight and it looks like the plug jack is bad. The top tang is discolored dark blue like it got to hot. I am going to take to a guitar store to verify though and see how much to would cost to fix. Thanks for the advice and party on dudes
Hey TA Kerry is that a T-shirt, if so where did you get it>
https://youtube.com/watch?v=8zICc_JLz2A&feature=shares
Its a 'gig bag' (which I dont understand as I always had a hard case) from an epiphone firebird signature series. Dont ask whom, I have no idea. Its from my sons collection.

Old 02-05-2023, 01:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Its a 'gig bag' (which I dont understand as I always had a hard case) from an epiphone firebird signature series. Dont ask whom, I have no idea. Its from my sons collection.
That's a Joe Bonamassa logo.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 02-06-2023, 12:59 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
... you will get a loud hum when you hold the other plug end in your hand and touch the tip. You're grounding the circuit and causing the hum...
At the risk of side-tracking this discussion-

The hum is due to your body being an antenna for 60 hz EMF radiated by all the AC power wiring in the building. Guitar amps have a very high gain factor to deal with the miniscule signal (a few millivolts) from the instument's pickups. So the tiny 60 hz signal from your body results in an audible hum. If you actually ground the tip (metallic connection to the sleeve) you would hear silence.

Carry on......

Old 02-06-2023, 01:26 PM

Well it turned out to be the amp. I went to Denver for the annual Tri-State parts swap meet and found a cheap 15 dollar First Act amp. I guess guitars and car parts do go together. The parts swap meet is three levels of pickers awesomeness. Learned something new and almost bought a car 4 track. I had never heard of such an animal, it was only 20 bucks and came with two cassettes, it was kewl.
Anyway back to guitars cant wait to start jamming on some one note riffs on amp, baby steps. I am using a mix of Rocksmith on PS3 and Youtube to learn how to play guitar right now. I have barely started to learn to play and I am already seeing ways I can add some performance to my guitar and add some bling to it just like a car.
Tremolo/whammy bar, is fine just to remove it or how do I tighten it up so it stays pointing toward the neck? Right now if I tighten it up, it points towards the guitar strap mounting point on the body. Thanks for all the help.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
George Lynch....wow
I like George Lynch and the stuff he did with Dokken. Does he ever talk about D. Dokken, I heard those two did not get a long very well.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:54 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I like George Lynch and the stuff he did with Dokken. Does he ever talk about D. Dokken, I heard those two did not get a long very well.
When I worked with George 15 years ago, the DD subject was a sore one. But they keep getting back together to do little tours...until they get fed up with each other I guess. Pretty sure from what I've heard on YouTube, Don can't hit the notes anymore and they have to down-tune so far George's guitar doesn't sound right.

Here's the back of the top slant cab with the QUEEN and DOKKEN stencils, plus some band named Nazgul (LOTR fan?).

Old 02-06-2023, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Well it turned out to be the amp. I went to Denver for the annual Tri-State parts swap meet and found a cheap 15 dollar First Act amp. I guess guitars and car parts do go together. The parts swap meet is three levels of pickers awesomeness. Learned something new and almost bought a car 4 track. I had never heard of such an animal, it was only 20 bucks and came with two cassettes, it was kewl.
Anyway back to guitars cant wait to start jamming on some one note riffs on amp, baby steps. I am using a mix of Rocksmith on PS3 and Youtube to learn how to play guitar right now. I have barely started to learn to play and I am already seeing ways I can add some performance to my guitar and add some bling to it just like a car.
Tremolo/whammy bar, is fine just to remove it or how do I tighten it up so it stays pointing toward the neck? Right now if I tighten it up, it points towards the guitar strap mounting point on the body. Thanks for all the help.
I bought my practice guitar (Epiphone AJ-1 acoustic) at the Petit Jean AR swap meet a few years back!

The good part about finding musical stuff at car swap meets is the prices are usually pretty low.

James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
Old 02-06-2023, 05:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They still do on-off gigs together...can't believe they are still touring

Old 02-08-2023, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The Squier Strats rely on an interference fit from the chrome plating on the threads to hold the trem arm in place. Once the chrome on the threads starts to wear, the arm gets loose. On a Fender Mexico Stratocaster there is a small spring that drops in the threaded hole before your screw the trem arm in. It keeps the threads tightly engaged to prevent the arm from swinging or drooping. It usually falls out and gets lost the first time someone removes the tremolo arm to put the guitar in the case.. Fender American Stratocasters also use a ball bearing that is dropped in on top of the spring to provide smoother movement of the arm. This system works on a Squier as well.

Some guys will tell you to wrap plumber's tape around the threads on the arm before threading it in but that works for about 10 minutes. You can get a replacement spring kit from eBay that includes the spring, bearing and a neat little plug to keep them from popping out when using a hard-shell case where you have to remove the arm to close it. You can also just cut down a ball point pen spring to about 7/16"L and drop it in or pull the eraser off the end of a pencil and drop it in the hole. The eraser won't fall out as it expands from being compressed when you screw the arm in.

Spring Kit:

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 02-08-2023 at 12:54 PM.