THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-03-2023, 09:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Real ID

What the hell does this mean? Yesterday I went to renew my driver's license and none of the documents I had met the requirements of a REAL id. I had my SC issued mini birth certificate that was deemed unacceptable, I had my retired military id that was deemed unacceptable, I had multiple utility bills that have been in force since I bought my house back in 1997, I had multiple bills from utilities companies from several years back. I served twenty-one years in the US Army and, yet, I cannot get a "real ID" on my driver's license.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Old 02-03-2023, 09:58 PM
Boost Engineer

In Michigan, I had no issues with renewing my Driver's License with my "new home" address in 5 minutes in a town named Romeo, Michigan.

I have spoken with others from Missouri and they also have had Driver's License difficulties.

Sorry to hear this but I have not lived in Missouri for 50 years.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:01 PM

My wife and I both have a Real ID, we just gathered up whatever documents listed on our DMV website and it was pretty simple.

This was back in 2019, at the time one of us needed to renew our license and we decided to both apply for the Real ID mostly because of air travel and entry into military bases.

Old 02-03-2023, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ohio changed their system entirely a few years ago. It is much more complicated now. If you have a US passport that is not expired, that helps allot. Otherwise, you better have a bunch of specific required stuff with you at the BMV. An original birth certificate, no copies. Original social security card, utility bill not more than 30 days old, and other stuff. I showed up with a file full of stuff and was sent home because my utility bill was 40-45 days old instead of the required 30. It was a bit of a hassle. On the plus side you can now get an 8 year license in Ohio if your willing to pay double. Passport eliminates most of the documents. Also, they do not give you a real license on the spot like they used to. You get a temporary license paper receipt. The real one comes USPS in about 10 days which opens up another can of worms with actually receiving your mail.

Old 02-03-2023, 10:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
My wife and I both have a Real ID, we just gathered up whatever documents listed on our DMV website and it was pretty simple.

This was back in 2019, at the time one of us needed to renew our license and we decided to both apply for the Real ID mostly because of air travel and entry into military bases.
Well, so did I! They rejected my birth certificate because it was miniaturized version the size of a credit card, the same that I was issued in 1975 that has allowed me to make every transaction since that time, including joining the Army. It has an obvious seal but because it's not a full blown life-like size, it isn't acceptable. I gave them everything from my birth certificate to my HS diploma to my college transcripts. I was told that a passport would suffice. I even showed them my dd-214, my retired military ID card that I just had updated with fingerprints.

To be be sure, I don't plan to do any future air travel, much less travel outside this country, but considering the ease at which our government is allowing illegals to enter our country, why are they making things more difficult for people like me?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pont3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My passport and property tax bill worked for me in California.
California now requires you submit all the documents online and once approved, you make an appointment at the DMV. Sort of an outgrowth from the Covid era.

But, you already have a Military ID and its just as good as the Real ID Drivers license. Both are Federally approved Identification cards for flying.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 02-03-2023, 10:58 PM

I took my full size official birth certificate and my wife took her green card along with her passport. Our son was in the military and we wanted to be able to see him which would include air travel.

Old 02-03-2023, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Make sure that any of the "needed" documents have your full and correctly spelled name!!!

My name is Jeffrey, having Jeff on anything won't work...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 02-03-2023, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
That was my experience as well. I did happen to have my original birth certificate and social security card on hand so I didn't need to get new authorized copies.

Old 02-04-2023, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got my new license and real license (same card) in about 15 min,yes, at new Penndot office I was amazed,i couldnt make a joke out of experience. I had advice from local reps office get a new birth certificate.,Glad I did.

Old 02-04-2023, 04:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just get a passport ... it's good for everything, domestic travel and international travel.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
What the hell does this mean? Yesterday I went to renew my driver's license and none of the documents I had met the requirements of a REAL id. I had my SC issued mini birth certificate that was deemed unacceptable, I had my retired military id that was deemed unacceptable, I had multiple utility bills that have been in force since I bought my house back in 1997, I had multiple bills from utilities companies from several years back. I served twenty-one years in the US Army and, yet, I cannot get a "real ID" on my driver's license.

Has anybody else experienced this?
You can easily get a "REAL ID" in MO if you bring the proper documents.

https://dor.mo.gov/driver-license/is...uments/RID.pdf

Per the link, a birth certificate needs to be a certified copy, not a "mini birth certificate".

There are 12 other valid forms of ID in MO, but a military ID is not one of them.

Your utility bills were proof of residency, and are valid for proving that you LIVE in MO, but you need to provide one of the 13 listed forms of identification to prove your identity.

Getting a REAL ID requirements in MN were the same and it was a real simple process.

Passport requirements are basically the same as getting a REAL ID.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I renewed my license here in MA a few years ago, they said I could choose between a "Real ID" or the current standard one. What I found amusing is I couldn't use my current license as proof of identity. I also couldn't use my LTC as a form of identity. But, they'd renew my license as older version, despite apparently not being proof enough of identity.

What a clown world we live in.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We were just looking into flights to Europe for late April .... checked our passports .... expired in Jan .... Dohhh!

Going to expedite renewal.

Old 02-04-2023, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Missouri fought it for years as the information goes into a Federal database, but finally gave in. I seem to remember a threat of loss of Federal funds for something.

I believe it is a Federal requirement both to fly commercial and / or enter a military base.

I cannot fly, and have no need to enter a military base, we don't have them.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:16 PM
Boost Engineer

If you want to travel as young people, probably a good idea to get the latest stuff.

I traveled for years for the company I worked for and see no reason to want to go to Alaska, S.E. Asia, Central America, or South America. But many people do "want to go on a trip" in their later years.

Europe does nothing for me either.

To each his own.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 01:18 PM
Senior Chief

Here in NY they call it an Enhanced Drivers License. You can use it for air travel and also entrance into Canada. If IRC when I got mine several years back, they had to submit the information to homeland security for approval.

Edit…I should specify, domestic air travel.

Old 02-04-2023, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
We were just looking into flights to Europe for late April .... checked our passports .... expired in Jan .... Dohhh!

Going to expedite renewal.
Good idea. State Department is warning people that normal processing is now taking over 3 months. We obtained a passport for my father n law using expedited
processing. Received it within three weeks.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
I cannot fly, and have no need to enter a military base, we don't have them.

Jon
Jon

I took basic training at Ft Leonard Wood, MO back in 1972. It's still open.

Not saying you have a need to go to a military base, but you're only 62 miles away.

Old 02-04-2023, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent ... good to know. We just got our accounts at the Gov.Travel site, took our photos, should have the process going by Monday.
Jones'in for some good Italian food, been three Covid years we've missed.