THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default I told Bank of America to "shove it" today!

Today marks the beginning of the rest of my life without a credit card. In April, BOA called me to say that my credit card number may have been compromised and as a safety measure, they cancelled my old card and issued me a new one. One month later, an unauthorized charge of $24.95 against my old card appeared on my statement from a health & fitness merchant in Nevada, so I called BOA to dispute the charge. They opened a case and I learned today that my dispute had been closed in favor of the merchant as the "merchant" was able to produce a sales receipt. Really? That seems like a pretty simple task for a crook who already has my financial information. To make matters worse, I had a second charge of $4.95 appear yesterday from a health & fitness "merchant" in Maryland, so I was back on the phone today to dispute that charge. While speaking to the representative at BOA, we discovered that the second charge was against my old credit card number as well. I asked the representative how that could be possible, since I was issued a new card number and the old number was no longer valid. She explained that anyone who had my old card number for a monthly charge or subscription could still charge against my account using the old number. I was getting a little hot under the collar at this point and asked her what the point of switching card numbers was since the apparent criminal operating under multiple business names was charging me monthly anyway. She explained that BOA was merely a bank and could only facilitate the monetary transaction and could not legally terminate a payment agreement. I told her that there was no agreement, and I had never spoke with the merchants and never authorized a transaction. I told he that I will be damned if I am going to call the merchant and ask for a refund! The criminals didn't have my permission to charge in the first place! By this time, I was fuming and told her that I will pay the $29 in fraudulent charges and in return, she closes my account.

I will never possess another credit card as long as I live!

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lightbulb

Or you could get a card from a provider that has simple protections such as an instant notification on your Iphone or Android device as soon as any charge of any kind is authorized on your card, rather than waiting a month to review your statement.
I check my financials daily and also get notifications INSTANTLY if there's a charge. I can be standing in line at the store, or making a purchase online and my phone goes off with a tone the second that a charge is initiated. If I didn't make it or authorize it, I can instantly let my provider know.
In all candor, if in this day and age, you are waiting for your statement to come to check your charges, you shouldn't be surprised at what's transpired.

1970 GTO Judge
RA-III, 4-SPD & A/C. Power Windows, Power Seat, Power Brakes, Steering, AM/FM, 8-Track, Formula Wheel, Rallye Gauges, Remote Mirror, Numbers Matching. Assembled at Pontiac, MI Plant 5/26/1970.

1968 GTO
461 CI, RA-III heads, Hotchkis springs, UMI suspension, Bilstein shocks, 12-bolt 3.73's.

1966 GTO Ragtop
4-Speed, AM/FM, Original driveline.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good for you!!!

I'll never use BOA again either, different reasons but the same quality customer service.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This surprises me FEDERAL LAW limits your loss to 50.00 and most CC companies have zero liabilities if called in a prompt manner. It has happened to me twice with a Chase card for just over $200.00 both times and they just took it off the bill, canceled my card and issued a new one.

My daughter had a recurring charge with LA fitness that she could not get canceled, I told here to report the card lost and that would be the end of it as the account they were debiting no longer existed and that is exactly what happened this was over two years ago. Over the next couple of months She got a couple of e mails requesting that she update her CC information and that was it.

I have a BOA CC that I could buy a car with, this is directly from thier site. It dosent seem that this is what they were telling you though

https://www.bankofamerica.com/privac...credit-card.go

Credit card lost or stolen

(outside the continental U.S. call 1.757.677.4701)
24/7
Or sign in to Online Banking to report your lost or stolen credit card
We'll cancel your card and issue a replacement immediately. You won't be liable for any fraudulent activity.
ATM card or debit card lost or stolen

(outside the continental U.S. call 1.315.724.4022)
24/7
Or sign in to Online Banking to report your lost or stolen debit card
We'll cancel your card and issue a replacement immediately. You won't be liable for any fraudulent activity.
Checkbook lost or stolen

(outside the U.S. call 1.315.724.4022)
24/7

If possible, provide the check number for the last check that was written or the name of the person or business to whom it was written. Digital cppies of your checks are available through Online Banking.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I dumped BOA 20 years ago because they were going to charge my mom (who did not have an account with them) 5% on a $200. check. FU BOA!!!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Senior Chief

My card also lets me know when its been used. I can set limits as to when it will message me on my phone as to when something was charged. I to went through that fraud thing a couple of months ago. I was on the computer one morning at 5am when I got a message that my card was used. I immediately called the number on the back of the card, their reply was that if happens again to call them back and they will cancel the card. They also said that they would start the proccess to credit me what was charged. It was a small amount, around 4 bucks. Around 2pm I was messaged again, this time the dumb azz paid his insurance premium. Then within seconds I was notified of a fast food purchase. I was a 1/4 of a mile from the police dept, which was a 1/4 mile from the fast food rest. While talking to the Officer I was messaged again from the fast food rest, I said to the Officer the fraudulant person is at Jack in the Box right now using a stolen or fake credit card. He refered me to my bank. So much for catching these guys. So I went home and called the Insurance Company, I told them that I suspect a friend or relative is using my card to pay their premium, I gave them my cc number and they came back with a name of who is using my card. I asked where he lived and they said that they could tell me no more. I then called to cancel my card and get all charges reversed. Later that night, early morning I got a message again that my card was being used again a Jack in the Box and that it was denied. I went by Jack in the Box on my way to work a 5a and ask the girl if she remembers a card that got rejected, she did and gave me a description of the car. Now I have a name and a desription of the car and person. The police didnt want this info, neither did the Visa people, The Bank has nothing to do with Visa's even though their name is on the card.
Seems that the small time fraudulant person has nothing to worry about. Sorry to be so long winded, dont let the bank have your money, call the number on the back of the card and start the process for a refund. It may take a while but you will get it back.

Also forgot to mention, I thought the police would want this info since we have a epidemic of mailboxes being stolen, my box was stolen. It has about 12 slots for mail. I must have had some personal info in the box that night. I consider myself lucky, I got everything back and he got 3 meals at Jack in the Box. The dumb azz even tried to use it 4 or 5 more times after it was turned off, I kept getting the deny mesasge on my phone.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:52 PM

B of A and Wells Fargo are the two worst banks anyone could ever have an account with. B of A was going to charge my son a fee anytime he did a transaction inside the bank, saying his account only allowed transactions through the drive thru. I have never had or ever will have a B of A account. My son went through the drive thru and withdrew his money and closed out his account. I only use local banks, and have never had an issue ever with my account. Same bank for almost 40 years, and very satisfied.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Senior Chief

Call me crazy, but I haven't had a credit card in 6 or 7 years. I use a debit card from my bank, but thats it.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use BOA and get the alerts on any charge over $20 via email.

A few years ago, both my son and I had someone get hold of our card number, expiration date and code on the back. It happened to me first, and I put a stop on the charges.

It then happened to my son, and the thief tried to charge a computer to his card. I got the number of the vendor, then called the computer dealer and asked to verify delivery for the purchase. The dealer gave me the shipping address and noted it was different from the billing address, to which I replied that my card had been stolen. The dealer got all panicky and asked what I planned to do with the information. I told him not to worry about it, just cancel the order.

My son was going to go to the address and kick the guy's rear, but I talked him out of it.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:56 PM

Good luck trying to rent a car without a credit card.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:00 PM

any bank is better than BOA dumped them 10 or 12 years ago terrible C/S and extra charges

original ca car
Old 06-17-2014, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a few CCs,$50 max liability UNLESS used as a debt card.If used as a debit it goes away.Tom

Old 06-17-2014, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dumped BOA back 2001 after my paycheck wasn't being deposited until Saturday morning at 12:01 am. I was working for Alamo car rental and i could get my check after 2 pm on Thursday. I couldn't figure out why i could cash it myself after 2 pm on Thurs and they couldn't do a direct deposit until Sat morn.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dumped them last year. They raised my interest rate for no reason so "F" them.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Credit union

Go to the credit union and do all of the business that you can there.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:01 AM
Suspended

You guys should try Chase, I disputed my second mortgage and they wiped it out. I guess I was in the wrong place at the right time.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Love my credit union...no muss..no fuss

Old 06-18-2014, 01:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I told B of A to stick it a couple of years ago. I went with a small local bank and am very happy with their service.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 06-18-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgenslake View Post
Good luck trying to rent a car without a credit card.

I have rented cars with a debit card many times over the past few years. Some of the rental companies have relaxed their requirements. I have used Priceline recently to arrange the rentals. It's surprisingly easy.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:04 AM
Suspended

BOA is notorious for bad service.
I had a Wells card and one of the "affiliates" called to try to sell me some travel protection crap and I said no. Next month there was a $50 charge from that company. A call to Wells was challenging but they took the charge off. The card was a 0% I only used to surf the balance of my home mortgage to. Never used in months and months. Since they chose poor quality affiliates to share my information with I canceled them.