Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-02-2016, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest
Default Maybe a stupid question, but why isnt head CC taken into account for total CI?

Is total cubic inches just what is available in the block? It was never explained to me why head CC isn't part of the engines total cubic displacement.

Or maybe it was and I forgot.

Thanks in advance...

The Burb Files
Old 11-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The engine displacement is the total of the air displaced by the pistons as they move up and down.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 11-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cubic inches refers to the cubic inch displacement of a motor which is the swept volume of one piston times 8. The swept volume of one piston is the volume of a cylinder, or the diameter squared times pi times the stroke all divided by 4.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:00 PM
Suspended

The wrath of math.... Sure I could have run domed pistons but flat tops seem to go very well with the new E-Head combustion chamber design.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:07 PM
Suspended

You can harp on cast iron until the cows come home but the factory never offered anything like these.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:31 PM

It's all about bore size, stroke length and the number of cylinders.

Nothing else.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I understand the question and it sounds like it's just the convention used. Mathematically I agree that the chamber volume should be added to the cylinder volume....but then again if a dished piston is used, that needs to be taken into account also........

George

Old 11-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Maybe a stupid question, but why isnt head CC taken into account for total CI?

Double post

Old 11-02-2016, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This thread has posts in it that don't make a bit of sense to me in the context of chamber volume vs. displacement. Have there been posts deleted that removed the context for some of the remaining posts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
Mathematically I agree that the chamber volume should be added to the cylinder volume....
To determine engine CID? No. The chamber volume in the head is unchanging. Chamber volume affects compression ratio in nearly all engines, but it doesn't change displacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
but then again if a dished piston is used, that needs to be taken into account also.
To determine engine CID? No, it doesn't. The configuration of the top of the piston means nothing to CID, although it can radically alter compression ratio.

If you consider a single-cylinder engine as a positive-displacement pump, the motion of the piston from TDC to BDC at low speed with intake valve open, will draw in a certain amount of air. I say "at low speed" because we don't want to clutter the measurement with ram-air principles or port restriction, and we don't need to be so picky as to account for piston rock in the bore. You could measure the volume of that single cylinder's worth of air any number of ways, but in the end, it's going to amount to "pie are squared" times stroke. Piston dome or dish will have no effect.

In essence, it's the amount the volume of the cylinder changes as the piston goes down--or back up. The volume of the head + gasket, or the volume of the piston dish or dome, is meaningless as it doesn't affect the change of volume due to piston motion. The chamber volume, and piston dish/dome affects the RATIO of minimum vs. maximum volume for that cylinder--the compression ratio.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
This thread has posts in it that don't make a bit of sense to me in the context of chamber volume vs. displacement. Have there been posts deleted that removed the context for some of the remaining posts???

To determine engine CID? No. The chamber volume in the head is unchanging. Chamber volume affects compression ratio in nearly all engines, but it doesn't change displacement.

To determine engine CID? No, it doesn't. The configuration of the top of the piston means nothing to CID, although it can radically alter compression ratio.

If you consider a single-cylinder engine as a positive-displacement pump, the motion of the piston from TDC to BDC at low speed with intake valve open, will draw in a certain amount of air. I say "at low speed" because we don't want to clutter the measurement with ram-air principles or port restriction, and we don't need to be so picky as to account for piston rock in the bore. You could measure the volume of that single cylinder's worth of air any number of ways, but in the end, it's going to amount to "pie are squared" times stroke. Piston dome or dish will have no effect.

In essence, it's the amount the volume of the cylinder changes as the piston goes down--or back up. The volume of the head + gasket, or the volume of the piston dish or dome, is meaningless as it doesn't affect the change of volume due to piston motion. The chamber volume, and piston dish/dome affects the RATIO of minimum vs. maximum volume for that cylinder--the compression ratio.
bold and red. You don't measure the combustion chamber because the volume doesn't change.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Excellent explanation Schurkey!

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, in my mind I was thinking calculating the CR......

George

Old 11-02-2016, 08:21 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs69 View Post
Excellent explanation Schurkey!
X2!

Tom V.

I see posts on other engine theory websites where the presenter says "If you think that Rod Length changes the stroke, stop right here and go to a different website." How are you going to ever get the right answer if you never ask the question? An answer like that is a BS answer and does not help the person asking the question at all. Again good job one and all.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG View Post
The swept volume of one piston is the volume of a cylinder, or the diameter squared times pi times the stroke all divided by 4.
I went to college and came home the first summer. Daddy said "Boy, what did you learn at this school"? I said I took a math class and learned Pi R square. He said "Damn boy, what a waste of money. Everybody knows pie are round, corn bread are square"!

Old 11-03-2016, 06:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
I went to college and came home the first summer. Daddy said "Boy, what did you learn at this school"? I said I took a math class and learned Pi R square. He said "Damn boy, what a waste of money. Everybody knows pie are round, corn bread are square"!
Good thing you learned something!

Old 11-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
Three squaws were each preparing for the birth of their first child. The
first squaw placed a large bear hide by a river, the second squaw placed
an elk hide by a tree by a river, and the third squaw placed a
hippopotamus hide by a path, near the river and the tree so that the
three formed a triangle.
It just so happens that all three women gave birth on the same day.
The first squaw on the bear hide had a 5-lb son, the second squaw on the
elk hide had a 6-lb son, and the third squaw on the hippopotamus hide had
an 11-lb son.
To this day, mathematicians credit these three women with the first
proof of the Pythagorean Theorem:
"The son of the squaw of the hippopotamus is equal to the sons
of the squaws of the two adjacent hides."

The cornbread, and the squaws were my big take-away from Junior Hi math.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:41 PM
Suspended

I got a new one from watching Andy Griffith today.... "Hooked like a starving catfish"

Old 11-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmmm...

the hippo of 5 and 6 should be 7.81 lbs?

I learned about square pies in about 5th grade?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Hmmm...

the hippo of 5 and 6 should be 7.81 lbs?

Shurk didn't mention the tree being abnormal/deformed.
It must of had square roots!

Old 11-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Suspended

One more for you guys.... "Gone like two hound dogs that backed into a porcupine"

I'm check out now.