THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest
Default North Carolina Pontiac Clubs?

Ive been trying like hell to get out of NJ and as of right now, my house still hasnt sold. But we are in the process of buying a townhouse for a quick fix. My wife took a job she could NOT pass up and has been living out of hotels for the past month.

It sux as there is no garage with said TH so the beast will be in storage till the NJ house sells and we can buy a house and turn the TH into a rental.

So I will be hopefully moving in on March 7-8 this year. If I can get the car down there and into storage, I am going to want to drive it as yesterday in NC was 75*. (NJ you ask? Blizzard conditions with 15* and 15" of snow.)

So are there any clubs looking for members that drive the crap out of their car who are active members of current NJ club.. Please post.. I have only driven the car a handful of times since the engine was done and the weather turned south...

Thanks Dave

The Burb Files
Old 02-10-2017, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Contact Ken Nagy at Tarheel Tigers. He is a member here (barrierblue66) and is their Admin. on FB. Also a NJ transplant.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 02-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
Contact Ken Nagy at Tarheel Tigers. He is a member here (barrierblue66) and is their Admin. on FB. Also a NJ transplant.

X2. Ken's a great guy! I'm a member of the club too, but distance restricts my involvement. I've been to some monthly meetings, and it's a great bunch of men and women.
And that 75 went to 45 really quick yesterday once that New Jersey cold front hit us!

Old 02-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where in NC are you moving to?

My general impression is that there is not much car hobby stuff going on in the "beachfront" areas of NC. There is a bunch of stuff going on in the areas within 25 miles or so east or west of Interstate 77. Also, there are several dragstrips along that same corridor. The Pontiac group (Tarheel chapter?) around Winston Salem is quite active and has a good range of Pontiac cars and puts on good shows.

My impression is that there is a pretty good bunch of Pontiac people in the western part of NC around the Hendersonville/Ashville area and in the area that is driveable to the Bristol, TN dragstrip.

I travel to the Statesville/Hickory area a lot and they have great cruise-in shows.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Other than hearing about the car shows in Florida, you can't beat the number of shows and cruise nights here in Delaware and the surrounding areas.

Good luck down there Dave. I know you won't miss NJ but you will miss all the shows around here.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

True there are a lot of shows here. Maxx Performance is usually the biggest Yak show. I find myself going to more cruise nights as I can leave at any time without feeling bad. Easy in and Easy out...

The TH we bought is on the Durham Chapel Hill line. I think we will end up in Chapel Hill, Wake FOrest, Holly Springs or the outskirts of these as I want enough land to make noise and have no one care whilst my wifes commute to Duke not being that bad.

I think the TH might actually border Duke Forest.

The Burb Files
Old 02-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Tempest View Post
True there are a lot of shows here. Maxx Performance is usually the biggest Yak show. I find myself going to more cruise nights as I can leave at any time without feeling bad. Easy in and Easy out...

The TH we bought is on the Durham Chapel Hill line. I think we will end up in Chapel Hill, Wake FOrest, Holly Springs or the outskirts of these as I want enough land to make noise and have no one care whilst my wifes commute to Duke not being that bad.

I think the TH might actually border Duke Forest.
I can strongly recommend the Wake Forest area. I'm up near the Falls Lake area on 6 acres. The Holly Springs traffic keeps getting worse and worse, have children living there and looking to get out! Chapel Hill is suitable only for hard core liberals and is expensive!

Old 02-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wake is in my top 5.

Traffic!! Lol!! Your funny.. my wife has been staying in a hotel there. I asked about traffic. She said what traffic!! All relative I guess.

P.S.
No Kids. At this point it would take Divine Intervention for us to have one.

The Burb Files
Old 02-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

People here do complain about the traffic, however compared to a lot of places I've been it is pretty mild!

Old 02-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Senior Chief

I live close to the NC/SC state line in a small town outside of Charlotte. We moved down here almost 15 years ago from Chicago. Many beautiful areas in the state - mountains are an easy drive, beach is not far either and I'm sitting out in the drive with the garage he doors open enjoying high 60s after a mid 70s sunny day. You can basically drive your Pontiac all year except for a few brief cold snaps and some occasional ice.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The weather yesterday was beautiful. I was outside most of the day wearing a T-shirt. I don't know what the official forecast called for, but the thermometer on my car said it was 77F.

Most of NC is relatively conservative, with the exception of the Chapel Hill area and maybe the Asheville area. I live outside of Raleigh in Apex, which is on the SW side. Traffic is bad at some times of the day and on some roads, but nothing like I've experienced when travelling to other large cities over the years.

There are POCI club in Greensboro, Charlotte, and maybe Wilmington. The Tarheel Tigers are a chapter of the GTOAA in Raleigh, and I believe there is a Firebird club (serving mostly 4th gen owners) in Fayetteville. And there are many small shows all over the area for about 8 months out of the year.

Charlotte Autofair (spring and fall) is a huge show and swap meet that is on twice a year. There are also smaller swap meets in Charlotte and Raleigh twice a year.

Mike

Old 02-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Come on Mike! Rubbing it in!!! I know ill be there soon, but we got 2" of ice today!!!! I love swap meets. Is it a decent meet or is it like Englishtown, NJ?? More of a flea market than a swap meet.

People selling toilet paper coozies and folks trying to sell Saginaw 4 speeds for $400@!

The Burb Files
Old 02-13-2017, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Auto Fair is just about the largest car show/swap meets in the south. The club I belong to is the Carolina Classic Pontiac Club located in the Charlotte area. I know Mike (poncho mike) can vouch for him when he says it's a swap meet. I live just out of Mocksville and ten minutes away from Farmington Dragway. Plenty of Pontiac people in the area that can help you out. We have a display at both of the Auto Fair shows. Stop by and check us out.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Tempest View Post
Come on Mike! Rubbing it in!!! I know ill be there soon, but we got 2" of ice today!!!! I love swap meets. Is it a decent meet or is it like Englishtown, NJ?? More of a flea market than a swap meet.

People selling toilet paper coozies and folks trying to sell Saginaw 4 speeds for $400@!
The mercury rose to 83F on Sunday, a record. We even had thunderstorms in the evening.

The vendor agreement prohibits selling non-automotive stuff, although you will see it occasionally. It is definitely not a flea market. Google Charlotte Autofair and look at the images. I think I remember the average attendance being around 250K people.

Mike