THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Youtube mechanic interviews say the worst, unreliable cars; BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Hundai, Kia and Jeep.

Most Reliable cars: Toyota Camry, and most Japanese cars.
I'm not keen on any turbo-4-cyl replacing a V8, except the VW turbo diesel wagons(U.S. made illegal) are impressive.

I remain curious about the big 3-trucks, but the bowlers talk is they are $75k and up.

Old 02-13-2024, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GM {Generic Motors] should be included in that list now...

Old 02-13-2024, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would daily drive any of the cars I mentioned as prospects.
That's why I mentioned them.
The money spent is the same , or less.
Just much cooler cars that will depreciate less after 4-5 years of daily use than modern cars.
And easier to resale

You only live once
If financing is the only option , then those wouldn't work.

Old 02-13-2024, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lease a new car every 2 yrs.

Old 02-13-2024, 04:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bought a new 2023 BMW M440I Grand Coupe (4 dr.), w/ M suspension, 382 hp. and gets 30+ mpg blast to drive and you can get them in $50-60k range used. CTS-V would be a good choice....

Old 02-13-2024, 07:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are you happy with the performance of the M440? We drive a convertible that was nice.

I would be all in on an older car (even thought about her 2004 GTO with 40k on it) but with me traveling she doesn’t feel comfortable in a 20 year old car.

It looks like the M2 is a smart buy as they have a cult following just have to accept we aren’t getting a ‘22 or newer. And the color options kind of suck

Old 02-14-2024, 08:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Are you happy with the performance of the M440? We drive a convertible that was nice.

I would be all in on an older car (even thought about her 2004 GTO with 40k on it) but with me traveling she doesn’t feel comfortable in a 20 year old car.

It looks like the M2 is a smart buy as they have a cult following just have to accept we aren’t getting a ‘22 or newer. And the color options kind of suck
The M440 is the wife's car and previously she had a 440 GC convertible. Love the M, we ordered it with every option including the Cooling and High-Performance wheel package. Sticky non-run-flat Pirelli's and massive brakes that work.
Runs low 12's and gets great MPG's. The M2 would be a good choice but hard to find and can get $$, believe me, that was an option when we were looking.

Good luck on the search!

Old 02-14-2024, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
The Cadillac CTS-V is a pretty amazing car as well. Sporty, luxurious, and very powerful.
2019 is the last year of the CTS-V with the 6.2L 640 HP V8. In 2020, it was replaced with the CT5-V with a 360 HP 3.0L V6 and the CT6-V with a 550 HP 4.2L V8.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:04 PM
Senior Chief

After seeing the durability of my brother in laws BMW's, I don't think I would have one that is out of warranty. His are crazy expensive when they go to the dealer. I am not sure exactly what they have , a M4 SUV thing, a 328, an old 760 V12, that needs both high pressure fuel pumps, $6,000+ just for that, and a 650 convertible. He seems to only have the newer ones running, as he says they all need engine work.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^ Even BMW guys stay away from those older V12 cars. They were fiendishly complicated and parts were very expensive.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 07:29 PM

Only purchase Euro vehicles if you have very deep pockets and have no problem writing gigantic checks when they need repairs. Most of their repairs are out of then realm of DIY with the exception of simple maintenance items. They become endless money pits after 100K miles give or take. Their resale value plummets quickly so don't expect to get much for them after you're tired of them breaking down and emptying your bank account.

I have a buddy who has worked for a Mercedes Benz dealer as a tech in a VERY wealthy area since 2003. He works on all of their makes/models as well as trade in vehicles of all kinds around the same price point. I still get amazed at the stories he tells me.

You couldn't pay me enough to own any Euro vehicle or just about any mid 2000's on up American vehicle.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 59safaricat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 09:14 PM
Senior Chief

My wife does not put a lot of miles on her car in a year. Since 2009 I’ve bought her 2 used low mile BMW 3 series and each has been pretty trouble free. Our current one is a 2014 335 that is still low mile, just hitting 60,000 miles (100,000km)now. I plan to replace it soon and will get another BMW looking for 2019 or newer with low miles. In our situation we are really happy with them.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:23 PM

60K is low mileage, they generally are not problematic until surpassing 100K miles. Even much cheaper, crappier vehicles will easily last longer than that these days.

Everyone is different. I have a 2001 Toyota Camry in my fleet with over 300,000 miles. Other than regularly scheduled maintenance, I replaced the drivers side window regulator and driver side door handle (it's kinda cheaply made). 60K miles is still a brand new vehicle in quality Jap years but is middle age in Euro years. Even those old crappy Ford Taurus vehicles of yesteryear would last to 120K miles...usually frying the auto trans around that time.

Old 02-16-2024, 08:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hoping to look at a few this weekend- going to try to drive another RC-F and see how we like it. Problem is the cost almost as much as a LC 500 which is a much cooler looking car.

Old 02-17-2024, 05:21 AM

My attitude towards a daily commuter car has evolved over the past ten years or so. When I was 23, I bought a 2011 Camaro SS brand new that over its lifespan was pretty much a show car that I daily drove. It was probably the biggest mistake of my life that I wish I could take back, since I prioritized getting that over school or saving money. The amount of time I would spend fighting aging and the elements by detailing it; waxing it; replacing aged parts; etc. was time and money-consuming since it was unfortunately stored outdoors for most of its life until around 2018 or so when I finally put it in a local storage unit and retired it from daily use. I sold it in 2019 and ended up with my '79 Trans Am in 2020, which is also stored indoors in the same local facility (I can literally walk there).

One of my biggest financial setbacks last year was getting hit and run on my way home from visiting my friend in Orlando. My 2012 Versa hatchback that I inherited from my mother when she retired from her job and could no longer walk due to mobility issues was totaled and I didn't have collision insurance on it because its was virtually worthless and in poor cosmetic shape, anyhow. The car ran well, had cold AC, and decent storage space and gas mileage and I maintained it mechanically. It was a piece of chit on the outside, which is honestly rather liberating; but the point is I didn't have a car payment. Until I did. I now own a 2017 Chevy Spark that I got from HGreg for 8k. 69k miles, manual trans, roll-up windows; but it has AC and a decent radio and I spend only $20-25 every two weeks in gas. It's all I need. I'm so upset to be stuck in a car payment again since I didn't have the savings to pay for it in full; and for awhile I was looking for an older Corolla or something but the car market is crap here in Miami.

Point is, for a commuter car I don't think I'll ever buy new again. It's just too much of a stupid decision from a financial standpoint, especially with today's ridiculous interest rates and the prices of cars from the start. The average car payment now is just shy of $700; and terms are offered now well past 72 months which is absurd. Living in a city where image is of the utmost importance and people jeopardize their finances just to keep up with the Jones' with their C-Class or Suburban they can't afford to impress a bunch of people they don't even know or like; while renting a 600 square foot efficiency, it's very liberating to not give a crap about being seen in my little Spark.

Point is, get something used (which you plan to to do, so that's good) - at least 4 or 5 years old, that way the previous owner/owners paid most, if not all of the depreciation so you don't have to. Anything under 80k miles still has a ton of life left with modern build standards. We all wax longingly about how our old Ponchos were "made better," but truth is, they weren't. Lol My '79 Trans Am had a life expectancy of around 100k miles before an engine rebuild would be needed. My Versa had 130k miles and I only had to replace the ignition coil packs on it, and so far my Spark hasn't given me any issues. You save money, and it also opens your options up more going used.

I honestly wouldn't even spend your entire 50-55k. Yeah, you can, but it's a commuter car that's going to get wear and tear and continue to depreciate. Point is, you don't NEED to. I don't see a car named in your signature, but your username makes me assume you got a '65 Grand Prix? Well, you got an old Pontiac that is cooler than 95% of the new cars on the road, and yeah; she doesn't get to come out every day, or even half the year, but when she does, it's sweet and enjoyable. Having a commuter car that isn't exciting just makes you enjoy your classic all the more when you take her out. As well, having a commuter car that is not exciting SAVES YOU MONEY. I'd honestly spend maybe 25k tops (which can get you something very reliable) and then do something else with the rest of the money; maybe a nice vacation, savings, or home renovations or whatever.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 02-17-2024 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old mechanic's saying,
"If you can't afford a new one,you can't afford to repair a used one."
I always flagged more flat rate hours working on euro cars than American.
I started wrenching in the 70's./

There's no way I'd daily any classic car today.
It's basically a death wish with no modern crash technology.

Old 02-17-2024, 11:50 AM
Senior Chief

I'm getting close to having to replace a daily driver too. Right now we have a 2008 Grand Prix with 150k for winter use and the undercarriage shows all the years of salt. The top-side looks almost perfect, one little fust bubble on the leading edge of the hood. Even with all of the G/Ps made I still get comments on it from strangers. Summer daily is a 2009 G8 V6 with 90k on the clock. That one is good to go for a while. Gas mileage isn't great but not a big priority. Like the original post I would like something that stands out at least a little from all the boxes out there. Anyone have a Grand Prix with under 756k miles from a southern (no salt) area for sale?

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 02-17-2024, 01:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

With the ridiculous prices dealerships are getting for quality used cars, it's hard to justify not going new for a daily...unless you are lucky enough to get a good deal from a private owner.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 02-17-2024, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
My attitude towards a daily commuter car has evolved over the past ten years or so. When I was 23, I bought a 2011 Camaro SS brand new that over its lifespan was pretty much a show car that I daily drove. It was probably the biggest mistake of my life that I wish I could take back, since I prioritized getting that over school or saving money. The amount of time I would spend fighting aging and the elements by detailing it; waxing it; replacing aged parts; etc. was time and money-consuming since it was unfortunately stored outdoors for most of its life until around 2018 or so when I finally put it in a local storage unit and retired it from daily use. I sold it in 2019 and ended up with my '79 Trans Am in 2020, which is also stored indoors in the same local facility (I can literally walk there).

One of my biggest financial setbacks last year was getting hit and run on my way home from visiting my friend in Orlando. My 2012 Versa hatchback that I inherited from my mother when she retired from her job and could no longer walk due to mobility issues was totaled and I didn't have collision insurance on it because its was virtually worthless and in poor cosmetic shape, anyhow. The car ran well, had cold AC, and decent storage space and gas mileage and I maintained it mechanically. It was a piece of chit on the outside, which is honestly rather liberating; but the point is I didn't have a car payment. Until I did. I now own a 2017 Chevy Spark that I got from HGreg for 8k. 69k miles, manual trans, roll-up windows; but it has AC and a decent radio and I spend only $20-25 every two weeks in gas. It's all I need. I'm so upset to be stuck in a car payment again since I didn't have the savings to pay for it in full; and for awhile I was looking for an older Corolla or something but the car market is crap here in Miami.

Point is, for a commuter car I don't think I'll ever buy new again. It's just too much of a stupid decision from a financial standpoint, especially with today's ridiculous interest rates and the prices of cars from the start. The average car payment now is just shy of $700; and terms are offered now well past 72 months which is absurd. Living in a city where image is of the utmost importance and people jeopardize their finances just to keep up with the Jones' with their C-Class or Suburban they can't afford to impress a bunch of people they don't even know or like; while renting a 600 square foot efficiency, it's very liberating to not give a crap about being seen in my little Spark.

Point is, get something used (which you plan to to do, so that's good) - at least 4 or 5 years old, that way the previous owner/owners paid most, if not all of the depreciation so you don't have to. Anything under 80k miles still has a ton of life left with modern build standards. We all wax longingly about how our old Ponchos were "made better," but truth is, they weren't. Lol My '79 Trans Am had a life expectancy of around 100k miles before an engine rebuild would be needed. My Versa had 130k miles and I only had to replace the ignition coil packs on it, and so far my Spark hasn't given me any issues. You save money, and it also opens your options up more going used.

I honestly wouldn't even spend your entire 50-55k. Yeah, you can, but it's a commuter car that's going to get wear and tear and continue to depreciate. Point is, you don't NEED to. I don't see a car named in your signature, but your username makes me assume you got a '65 Grand Prix? Well, you got an old Pontiac that is cooler than 95% of the new cars on the road, and yeah; she doesn't get to come out every day, or even half the year, but when she does, it's sweet and enjoyable. Having a commuter car that isn't exciting just makes you enjoy your classic all the more when you take her out. As well, having a commuter car that is not exciting SAVES YOU MONEY. I'd honestly spend maybe 25k tops (which can get you something very reliable) and then do something else with the rest of the money; maybe a nice vacation, savings, or home renovations or whatever.

Most Trans Am's of that era would go a couple hundred thousand miles pretty easy if the were somewhat maintained. Out here in California cars last forever if maintained.

Not everyone is good with driving a little sh!tbox. Some people work hard.. really hard so they don't have to. I daily drive a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with a 6.2 that I bought new and paid cash for.... and it likes gas...,., especially the way I drive.... I could care less about fuel economy. I work hard so that I can drive what I want and not care about fuel economy. My business partner is a little mizer and drives a 2005 Civic Hybrid with cooked paint and 180,000 miles. Personally... I wouldn't drive that sh!tbox around the block... but he likes it because it was cheap and gets 45mpg even though he could afford something much better. Whats the point of working hard and making money if you are just going to stare at your account balance?

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 02-18-2024, 01:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My stepmother trades for a new 6figure+ BMW or Mercedes every 2-3-4 years before it needs new tires.
I think its lighting cash on fire and flushing it -
but she works for her own money and that's what she wants to do with it.
I figure the ol man is lucky he's got a woman like that.