Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Senior Chief

LOL That's right, they do!!!

John.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest
Talking 2 Years

So my wife started her Masters degree and I have till she finishes left in NJ. I have been talking it up A LOT lately (6 months) and she is warming up to the idea. I thought that she was gonna put up more of a fight. She is on board for more land and less traffic with warmer weather.

My friend wants me to move to Ohio, but I think I have made up my mind for N.C. My wife needs to be near a hospital for work, so Chapel Hill, Durham and the like looks good.

I almost have a counter.. 763 days and a wake up... I can't wait to get out of NJ!

The Burb Files
Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know how widespread it is but in the Statesville,Hickory area there is a "meat" which is called "liver mush" which the locals eat just like most people eat bacon or sausage. I find "liver mush" grotesque.

The biggest complaint I have about NC is the "red-clay" soil which stains everything it touches. I don't know how widespread that type soil is.

Another thing about that area of the country is that they have a lot of commercial chicken growing houses and house flies are absolutely terrible there (all year long).

Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't be any worse then a bunch of Snooki's running around? Dare I mention the amount of red IROC-Z's we have here? No one but NJ, clones Pontiac Trans Am's into them....

The Burb Files
Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Senior Chief

If Sparta, NJ is anything like Long Island, you'll be glad to get out of there. I've been living in the Pa Susquehanna Valley for 6 years now. I don't miss the traffic, the hustle and bustle, crowded neighborhoods, noise. Out here its farms, hills, Amish horse and buggies. As for NC, I was stationed at Ft Bragg in the early 90's. I wish I had seen more of the state. I was young and stupid. Spent most of my time in Fayetteville at all the bars. Good luck

Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post

Another thing about that area of the country is that they have a lot of commercial chicken growing houses and house flies are absolutely terrible there (all year long).
Wow! You must have visited a pretty rank area. Flies are a slight summer time nuisance where I live. And no red clay in eastern N.C. Liver Mush is popular in the western part, esp. the mountains. I've tried it, don't care for it.
I live in the country, but don't know where the nearest chicken house is. You can find a bagel occasionally. Our tea still has sugar in it. Our Governor doesn't mind if we own guns. And we can take them out of our houses and shoot them, too. We have Big Gulp drinks. We have some fine hospitals, with running water.
It ain't too bad here. Just don't let everyone else know.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Wow! You must have visited a pretty rank area. Flies are a slight summer time nuisance where I live. And no red clay in eastern N.C. Liver Mush is popular in the western part, esp. the mountains. I've tried it, don't care for it.
I live in the country, but don't know where the nearest chicken house is. You can find a bagel occasionally. Our tea still has sugar in it. Our Governor doesn't mind if we own guns. And we can take them out of our houses and shoot them, too. We have Big Gulp drinks. We have some fine hospitals, with running water.
It ain't too bad here. Just don't let everyone else know.

Well, Sparta is not that bad. It is more like a congested New Hampshire. Funny thing about guns, is that if you are a law abiding citizen in NJ, it is not hard to get a gun.

That said, who cares, I want land. My wife understands my plan. Get one of each 1967 Tempest, but she said currently our area only allows me to have 2. There are still 3 models I need to get.

PLUS, there are really on two cold months in N.C. and the people are nice and traffic aint bad and the BBQ is tops and everyone like tea and you can still get a decent cup of coffee.

Count me in. If for NO other reason, 85% of the people in NJ suck. You hold the door and they say nothing and shoot you a look like you crapped in their cornflakes...... I love people and I have had it here... Except for my neighbors. Love them!@

The Burb Files
Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Moved outta Ocean county, NJ just about 2 years ago. Best thing I ever did. We had a plan, talked about it for a few years but when it was time, I put the plan into action and my wife was sort of not ready. She's alot better now, and we really like it.

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 03-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrierblue66 View Post
Moved outta Ocean county, NJ just about 2 years ago. Best thing I ever did. We had a plan, talked about it for a few years but when it was time, I put the plan into action and my wife was sort of not ready. She's alot better now, and we really like it.

NICE!!! I think mine will be the same. I have already looked at the Pontiac clubs in the area!!!

The Burb Files
Old 03-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good luck. Let me know if you have any Q's. Just went through it all

My Garage
Old 03-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Senior Chief

Wife and I have maybe 5 years left here in NJ. What with the high taxes and the unending winter, they're reasons enough! Also thinking about NC/SC. Maybe Myrtle Beach, lots of golf. And can get the Goat out for more than a few months!
'67 Tempest, Good Luck with your plans!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Tempest View Post
So my wife started her Masters degree and I have till she finishes left in NJ. I have been talking it up A LOT lately (6 months) and she is warming up to the idea. I thought that she was gonna put up more of a fight. She is on board for more land and less traffic with warmer weather.

My friend wants me to move to Ohio, but I think I have made up my mind for N.C. My wife needs to be near a hospital for work, so Chapel Hill, Durham and the like looks good.

I almost have a counter.. 763 days and a wake up... I can't wait to get out of NJ!
In my opinion there is no reason to move to Ohio. I left a long time ago for NC and have absolutely no regrets. Ohio is a good place to be FROM! Chapel Hill is fairly expensive and full of VERY liberal people-if that is what you are looking for, look no further! Certain areas of Durham should be avoided like the plague. Should be able to find some land near Jordan Lake (close to Durham, Chapel Hill, Apex, Cary. Have to be careful though as much of it doesn't perk.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have heard that some of Durham is not that cool. Liberals don't bother me. Neither do conservatives.

Like I said, I need warm weather and enough land that my wife wont yell at me to stop using tools late at night if the need arises! LOL!!!

Jordan Lake. Hmm. I might have to look there..

The Burb Files
Old 03-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Every town has it's not so nice areas. You just have to do your research. I joined the forums on city-data.com and sifted through hundreds of threads. Its nice because it's broken up into areas of NC. You'd want the Triangle topic.

BTW if you want to live with alot of folks from the north, then Cary is for you
Containment Area for Relocated Yankees

Good luck to all in their escape from NJ! Let's Pontiac together when ya get here!

My Garage
Old 03-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrierblue66 View Post
Every town has it's not so nice areas. You just have to do your research. I joined the forums on city-data.com and sifted through hundreds of threads. Its nice because it's broken up into areas of NC. You'd want the Triangle topic.

BTW if you want to live with alot of folks from the north, then Cary is for you
Containment Area for Relocated Yankees

Good luck to all in their escape from NJ! Let's Pontiac together when ya get here!
The city-data forum is great suggestion-wide variety of information available.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I love NC. Good luck on where ever you end up. The Outer Banks was just beautiful.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:21 AM

I moved to Charlotte from California almost 10 years ago so the winters here seem really cold to me but lived in Wisconsin when I was young and remember what real cold is like, not that bad here. Sure don't miss the traffic. Lots of my neighbors are fro NY or NJ. They say it's the best thing they ever did was to move. Great Pontiac club here.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been in NC all of my life, the first 35 years near Charlotte and the last 20 years right outside of Raleigh. I've traveled a lot in the US with my job and have been in most of the 50 states. I'm hoping to retire in about six years.

It is fairly easy to find a big tract of land about 25 -30 miles outside of Raleigh. I worked with a couple of guys that had bought 25 - 50 acre tracts of land down near Pittsboro (south-west of Raleigh, south of Durham and Chapel Hill). One was into cars, the other was into hunting. The county is very accommodating on building just about anything that will bring in some property tax revenues.

Contrary to what has been mentioned, some of the BBQ in NC sucks. Most of western NC has hickory smoked BBQ, while eastern NC is into the vinegar based BBQ. I don't like eastern NC BBQ, and have to go home for the good stuff.

On the negative side, state income tax is high in NC. I think property tax rates are reasonable compared to most of the New England states.

We also have mountains and beaches, from Raleigh the mountains are a 3 hour ride and the beaches are a 2.5 ride at posted speed limits.

I've been thinking about getting a place in the mountains when I retire. I'm seriously considering eastern Tennessee due to their lower taxes.

If you're looking for a deal on houses, check out Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac websites for foreclosed homes. There was a 4000 sq ft house with pool and a large garage, very private with about 20 acres of land for $320K about six months ago. The home would have needed some work, as the owner vandalized it somewhat before it was foreclosed upon. There are some bargains to be had if you're willing to live 25 miles from the main city.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All good information.

The company I work for, is based out of Cary. While Cary is nice, it is to congested and expensive for me. One of the main PROs of NC is that there are some really nice houses for cheap.

WHere I live in NJ, we have kind steep property taxes (not as much as the towns closer to NYC) and we dont get SQUAT for them. We also have high income taxes. I did most of the math and it is cheaper all around in NC with all of the perks. I live right on the line between Byram and Sparta.

2 years ago, I was outside in the driveway changing the e brake cable on a 62 Catalina. Butt dialed 911 by accident. Operator called me back and I assured her that I was ok and it was clearly and accident. Law says, they need to send a cruiser. I said ok, and continued to finish my work. 5 minutes later 5 Sparta cops and ALL of the Byram cops showed up.

We were shooting the breeze and I was showing them the cars. My wife pulled in and thought I had committed a serious crime. That was the most exciting thing that happened that year. So I am looking for a rural area with the same kind of excitement. I mainly want to be the noisiest guy in the town, LOL!!!

I have been mainly looking outside of the triangle. Pittsboro, Chapel Hill etc.. Thanks for the information, keep it coming!!!

The Burb Files
Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You won't get that kind of response in rural NC.

I lived in a small town about 20 miles outside of Charlotte right after I got out of college. They had a police force, but after 11 PM any police protection was provided by the county.

I had a number of cars, and parked overflow in my back yard adjacent to the fence. I heard my neighbor's dog barking one night, and I looked out the window to see the hood up on my car. I got my gun and went outside to confront the person, and told my wife to call 911.

I went out the back door, called the guy out, and he started to run. I fired once into the ground, yelling for him to stop, and he just ran harder.

The guy was trying to steal my battery, and left in such a rush he forgot his tools. It took about 30+ minutes for the county cops to arrive. They didn't seem to interested in doing anything since the guy actually didn't steal anything. I wanted them to at least take fingerprints to see who the perpetrator was. They left, and the next day the local city cops came by.

We had a discussion about security, and he basically said that I should take care of my own security because it could be 30 minutes or more before a cop arrives. He said I couldn't shoot anybody if they were fleeing, but if they broke into my house, I shouldn't shoot until they were fully inside. He also told me to unload the gun, because dead men can't offer any testimony that would conflict with my account of what happened.

If you land in rural NC, don't expect the cops to be there in a hurry.