Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Tempest View Post
I have been mainly looking outside of the triangle. Pittsboro, Chapel Hill etc.. Thanks for the information, keep it coming!!!
BTW, the Triangle is basically considered Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill.

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got some property up in Oxford, NC area. I like it up in that area, I am about 15 miles off of I85. It can be spotty up there also, I just don't like the dis-orginized junk in some areas. More because of the snakes and rodents than just junk laying around.
Their are deals out there, if you watch you can get some good deals in the area.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you have settled on NC, I have a couple of buddies retired up there. I like to be close to ocean and hurricanes. Politics are more to my liking here in SC as well. Anyway, good move for you. Not sure what the realestate tax situation in NC is, but we pay under $1000 year for a new (2010) $300K home here. (oops, forgot to mention insurance priemums).

Old 03-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a cousin that lives in Pittsboro... been there a couple of times.. I've thought of moving to Raleigh myself - I have a technology background and there are a lot of tech companies there.

Not sure about pittsboro though for myself - it seems way out there - far from everything.... Just going to a home depot or the grocery store is a challenge. After the newness wears out - I worry I would feel isolated with just me and the trees - trees only provide so much company.
The quarantine area for relocated yankees would probably be better for me - I am from NY originally after all.

Beautiful country but it does get hot. I had a beer with a friend around 5PM one July and it was hard to breath outside it was so hot. Not pleasant at all. I grew up in NY but Raleigh is definitely hotter.

Houses are big and cheap but I think folks spend a lot of time locked up inside in the A/C. Outdoor activity needs to be early morning or evening in the heat of the summer, which is probably May-September. I like your dream of a big garage with six pontiacs - I have the same dream! Carriage house with man cave above and many, many bays below!

Old 03-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Post View Post
but we pay under $1000 year for a new (2010) $300K home here. (oops, forgot to mention insurance priemums).
Multiply that by 6 for me. One guy I work with multiply that by 13!!

The Burb Files
Old 03-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You'll have so much extra income you won't know what to do with it.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Multiply that by 6 for me. One guy I work with multiply that by 13!!
x 10 for us.
NO improvements (we did not want them when we moved here) no local police either.
The 12 gauge IS the police here! Not complaining, just sayin.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
but we pay under $1000 year for a new (2010) $300K home here.
Wow! Where I live a $300K home would have at least $12,000 a year in property taxes and probably $1200 for insurance. But that's Illinois, the land of taxes. Retirees generally move out-of-state to avoid having their retirement savings go for taxes.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat View Post
.......Beautiful country but it does get hot. I had a beer with a friend around 5PM one July and it was hard to breath outside it was so hot. Not pleasant at all. I grew up in NY but Raleigh is definitely hotter.

Houses are big and cheap but I think folks spend a lot of time locked up inside in the A/C. Outdoor activity needs to be early morning or evening in the heat of the summer, which is probably May-September ......
What I am about to say may sound sarcastic but it's not meant to be.
Those of us who live here and are used to the climate consider July and August as the hot months. It's not uncommon to have several days in a row exceed 100 degrees. But we don't open fire hydrants on streets or have folks dropping like flies, like some of our northern neighbors.
People here complain about the heat, but carry on and deal with it. They still jog, play tennis, go shopping, garden, have cook-outs, etc.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got used to the heat really fast, though Jersey summers were not that different over the last 15 years. Also, the warmer weather sticks around longer and warms up sooner towards Spring.

I will take the heat over cold and snow any day. Paying 1/4 of the real estate taxes, insurances are a heck of alot cheaper also. Electricity and (if you're lucky enough to have it) natural gas are sooo much more affordable as well, since we dont have the days in the teens and 20's.

My Garage
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh man, good luck. Damn I was just starting to like you.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 AM

Moving from CA like I did with prop. 13 my property taxes went up $1000 on a house that's worth half as much as what I had there. I think prop. taxes suck here but compared to NY and NJ I guess we don't have it so bad.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
Oh man, good luck. Damn I was just starting to like you.

LOL!!! I know it!!

A lot of people ask WHY I want to move. And most of the previous posts are the big issues. But for ME. The true main reason is that I would like to eventually retire. Granted, I am 36 and have been on the books since 15. I have more years of work ahead of me then behind me. That said, It would be nice to just retire. Not keep a side job to afford oil, taxes, utilites etc.. Just retire.

I put more away in my retirement now than 90% of the country and I want all of that money I am socking away to be spend ENJOYING my old age if I make it that long. My NDN, is moving to NC too. But like NOW. He can't retire if he stays here. I do not want to end up working till I'm dead.

To me that is 95% of the reason. The good weather and nice people with cheap real estate is the other 5%. When I GET there that will switch.. 95% people and 5% retirement. as I wont worry about socking the money away!

The Burb Files
Old 04-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Might be sooner than I thought. One of the guys down there just moved back to Michigan. There will be a spot open. Gonna apply for it. I hope I get it.......

The Burb Files
Old 04-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We just bought a 4000 sqft. House on 8.5 acres. We love it up there(well up for us cause we're in south Florida). We bought just outside of Franklin, NC cause the roads there are awesome. We're 20 miles from Tail of the Dragon, 40 miles from Maggie Valley, 20 miles from Cashiers. I hand picked that spot because of the long winding roads and being mountainess and since have been gearing my car toward Pro Touring. Handling up there is VERY important! Come to think of it so are brakes! Lol. The roads to our house alone are incredible. Mountain views everywhere. Stay away from Lenoir and and the north side of Waynesville. If you want a barn as you describe you need to stay in the lower lying areas. If you get too close to mountains the topography gets a little too jagged and the land is useless. Who needs acreage if it up the side of a mountain? Unless of course you own the whole mountain! Western NC is beautiful. I hope this all works out for you. You'll love it. If I were ready to retire, I'd be typing this from there. If you decide to go to that area I have a really great realtor.
Frank

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I didnt have young kids I would transfer through my International to another local. Im tired of paying such high property taxes and everything else here thats expensive as hell.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Might be sooner than I thought. One of the guys down there just moved back to Michigan. There will be a spot open. Gonna apply for it. I hope I get it.......
Good luck!

My Garage
Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSBACK View Post
If I didnt have young kids I would transfer through my International to another local. Im tired of paying such high property taxes and everything else here thats expensive as hell.
Up here in Sussex county we dont pay as much as the rest of the state, BUT, we also don't get much for that either.

The Burb Files
Old 04-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Up here in Sussex county we dont pay as much as the rest of the state, BUT, we also don't get much for that either.
Our taxes in Jackson, Ocean county were $12K, for 1 acre and about 3700 sq ft. We had well water (which we miss) and septic, which we have now and don't mind it. Paid for our garbage pickup. Didn't get much more than that except emergency services which they kept cutting. Schools, schools, schools is where our $$ went.

My Garage
Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrierblue66 View Post
Our taxes in Jackson, Ocean county were $12K, for 1 acre and about 3700 sq ft. We had well water (which we miss) and septic, which we have now and don't mind it. Paid for our garbage pickup. Didn't get much more than that except emergency services which they kept cutting. Schools, schools, schools is where our $$ went.
Pay about the same here - I'll get my house paid for and will still be paying what most people consider a mortgage payment!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978